2012-2013 BOSS 302

Will the 2012 Boss become as collectible as its long lost brothers?

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/11, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No..
Old 6/23/11, 01:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure
Old 6/23/11, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Is it the baddest mustang ever YES
was less than 1000 made. NO
was it special for NASCAR. NO
was it special for racing. YES
Has it won a championship. NOT YET
did a gas crisis occur three years later?
Let's hope not!?$&@
Since the pattern to create an investment car has not yet been created it will not become what the '69 mustang is
Old 6/23/11, 08:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Maybe.
Old 6/23/11, 08:21 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
i dont think todays cars will be collectables in 20 years but i didnt think my Rcode 69 would be either 35 years ago when i sold it for 700 bucks
Old 6/23/11, 08:26 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by goesfast
Almost every Mustang made in the last 35+ years has gone down in value over time. Yes, the Shelby GT, GT500's, Mach 1's, Bullitts, 2000R's and CS's have all gone down in value (save the #001 Boss). And the Boss will too, as the next great Mustang hits the streets. Sad, but true. The only car I can think of that actually went up in value was the Buick GNX. It's a played out scene over and over again.
Not true, Foxes have started going up and the original low mileage ones are costing more then they did new.

I don't really agree with buying a car as an investment, there are some that will be worth more. Unfortunatly a lot of people are buying the special editions as investments unlike the 60's cars where they were just cars and the rare ones that survived all original are worth big money now.

As a car guy why would I want to wrap up an amazing car like a Boss 302 or a car like I own a 2003 Cobra. Will I really get more enjoyment out of whatever money it brings then by driving and enjoying it. Not likly.

Sorry to drag a moral issue into this but if anyone really wants to get rich they should just be wise with their money, buy only what they can afford and always have enough saving for the bazillion things life throws at you.
Old 6/23/11, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knight
Not true, Foxes have started going up and the original low mileage ones are costing more then they did new.
This is with accounting for inflation? Could you provide an example? I've not seen this yet. Thanks.
Old 6/23/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by askjeffro
This is with accounting for inflation? Could you provide an example? I've not seen this yet. Thanks.
Exactly. At the very least, the car should go up in pace with inflation (which they have not), not even taking into account other wealth growth strategies. But of course, you can't "drive" money. I bought a new Mustang once which was greeted with displeasure from my then investment advisor. He claimed I could have invested the money instead of buying the new Mustang. My reply: "I'm just spending the money you would've lost in the market anyway!" He didn't say much after that.............
Old 9/18/12, 07:56 AM
V6 Member

Thread revival since both '12 and '13 models are out now...

I think the new BOSS 302 models will be collectible but not necessarily increase in value. I think it will still suffer the inevitable fate of depreciation for many decades albeit at a lesser pace than the standard GT counterparts.

No matter what, it's a special car today or 50 years from now. So whether you DD it, track it, or garage it - just enjoy your BOSS and appreciate you're fortunate enough to have one.
Old 9/18/12, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Amazing when one thinks about this thread starting in 2011, and we may actually be seeing the return of issues like the 70s. With Chrysler and Ford both talking about downsizing their pony cars, and GM likely to follow suit, with Ford talking EcoBoost 4s in a Taurus, the day of the honking V8 may be in decline. That may make the two year run of the Boss more collectible sooner than the 15-20 years many of us anticipate.

Supply and demand may keep the Boss very popular for a long time if this trend continues, since the overall scheme of things has these machines as low volume vehicles compared to it's contemporaries.
Old 9/18/12, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
The mythical Yellow Blaze with white stripes. Only available in Canada, and I have yet to find even one.

EDIT: I finally found one!!! I'd love to see pics of it.
Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
This

Name:  yellowwhiteBOSS.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  86.1 KB
Old 9/19/12, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
Say ol' Yeller in Burlington a couple of days ago, sadly I was in the Mazda 2 at the time.
Old 9/21/12, 03:47 AM
GT Member

Every now and then a car comes around that's a rule breaker.............that's the BOSS. Yes other car makers are making large displacement muscle cars in the 400-500 HP range. But they are TUBS OF LARD, and drive like it. This BOSS is doing it all with 5 liters of displacement, and averages 600lbs less weight than it's competitors. The Boss is deadly on the drag strip, and dances around a track. And gets in the mid 20's on the hwy in mileage. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

I think all bosses will be collectable, certain colors and years will garner more attention. (I'm betting on my SBY 2013 as one)

SO ENJOY YOUR CAR, keep it in one piece, and keep your stock take off parts boxed for the future, it matters for collectors.

I found a set of original BOSS 302 finned valve covers for $250 in 1999, they sold for $750 in 2007.
Old 9/21/12, 04:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
im hopeing to keep mine clean and lower miles on it till i can afford to buy another one and use that one to drive often. they are fun cars but if you dont know how to drive them then you wont have yours long....
Old 9/23/12, 03:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
She may be rare boys because it's only available in Canada,
but I ain't tradin, my Canadian Yellow Boss with Black stripes in for the White stripes just yet! (No personal offence intended).
......BTW, for the guys that said buy the Boss for the enjoyment of driving it, you nailed it! That's exactly joy of owning a Boss,.... just driving it and dropping two gears to pass is an unbielvable thrill, and that alone is worth the MSRP price itself!
Cheers, ,
Old 9/25/12, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

No...or at least not in the lifetime of anyone that owns one today!

IMHO!
Old 9/25/12, 10:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
I think all bosses will be collectable, certain colors and years will garner more attention. (I'm betting on my SBY 2013 as one)
FYI!

SBY is the most common color for 2013 followed closely by GHIG. The rarest color for 2013 is GB less than 1/2 the number of SBY or GHIG.
Old 9/25/12, 10:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mus408
What made those '60s muscle cars collectible,was the absolute dark days of performance,coming from the Big Three,during the late 70's and thru the 80's.
The guys who once owned these muscle cars,of old,were thinking back about those clean looks,rumbling big blocks,and the sweet sound of solid lifter cams,and those 13 sec. time slips.
That brought about the demand for what was left of good quality '60s muscle.
Nowdays,400-500+ HP performance cars are at most any dealer,and the make the old muscle pale,in comparison.
Until the HP stops coming from the factories,it will be a good while before anything new becomes a hot collectible. There's always something hotter,coming from Ford,as in the 2012 Boss engine might show up as a base GT engine.
Enjoy these cars now,instead of wrapping them in plastic.
My 2001 Bullitt,was billed as a hot future collectible too, but could get a wallop from a slightly tuned 2012 V6 Mustang "girly" car!!

Also note the old cars with a mix of strange options or deletes,brought the higher collector value. Nowdays the new cars come with a couple of pre-packaged option groups...no more personal pick of what you want.
You hit the nail right on the head when you said "until the hp stops coming from the factories, it will be a good while before anything new becomes a hot collectible." Having said that, the hp faucet is going to be shut off rather suddenly as the new CAFE standards take effect. I think there's no way to make 420-500plus hp cars that hit the coming mandates for economy, just like when the original 426 hemis and the like couldn't pass the mandated emission controls. When the music stops and everybody realizes the industry will take 30 years to recover the performance levels we now enjoy, then that 3 year old stang will look a **** sight more collectible than it does today.
Old 9/25/12, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by exchallenger
You hit the nail right on the head when you said "until the hp stops coming from the factories, it will be a good while before anything new becomes a hot collectible." Having said that, the hp faucet is going to be shut off rather suddenly as the new CAFE standards take effect. I think there's no way to make 420-500plus hp cars that hit the coming mandates for economy, just like when the original 426 hemis and the like couldn't pass the mandated emission controls. When the music stops and everybody realizes the industry will take 30 years to recover the performance levels we now enjoy, then that 3 year old stang will look a **** sight more collectible than it does today.

I don't agree. Even in it's infancy Tesla Model S Performance does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. It's not a question of "if" but when the electric car will be as fast as anything available today.

Your bigger concern should be self-driving cars! These are estimated to be in production by 2040. Now that said I am still waiting on the flying car but Ford, GM, Google, etc., are very close to that being a reality. I see the Google test cars all over when in the SF bay area.
Old 9/25/12, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Electric cars are a joke at this time. They lack the range necessary to be practical and the prices are outrageous. Even with thousands in subsidies, the prices can't cover the massive losses the manufacturers incur to produce them. As for the flying cars, they're in the same category as the Amphicars were. Now instead of crappy cars that double as crappy boats, they make crappy cars that double as crappy planes. And they are also hideously expensive.
The future in automobiles is to make high perfoming vehicles with much better fuel economy by using lightweight, strong materials in much smaller packages. The Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers we buy today will be gone before long.

Quick Reply: Will the 2012 Boss become as collectible as its long lost brothers?