Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Will the 2012 Boss become as collectible as its long lost brothers?

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/11, 09:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the 2012 Boss become as collectible as its long lost brothers?

The Boss 429, Boss 351, Boss 302, Mach 1. Some of our favorite mustangs ever, right? What makes them so valuable and collectible? The answer: the demand for it. And usually the more rare, the more valuable the car is. My question is what will be the most rare color combinations and options for the 2012/2013 Ford Boss 302? What I think will be rare or valuable:
  • 2012 Ford Boss 302 Laguna Seca silver w/ red stripes.
  • 2012 Ford Boss 302 Competition Orange w/ white stripes.
  • 2012 Ford Boss 302 w/ vin #1
  • 2012 Ford Boss 302 w/ vin #302
Old 6/20/11, 09:58 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I can see the Laguna Seca being highly collectible for a long time. Not so much for the regular Boss. Except for #1
Old 6/20/11, 10:12 PM
FR500 Member

The mythical Yellow Blaze with white stripes. Only available in Canada, and I have yet to find even one.

EDIT: I finally found one!!! I'd love to see pics of it.

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/20/11 at 10:43 PM.
Old 6/21/11, 05:40 AM
Cobra Member

Great points, although rarity won't necessarily make a particular (bad) color combo more desirable.
Old 6/21/11, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

I believe the Laguna Seca will always be collectable due to the low production numbers. One thing to keep in mind many of them are going to racers and racers are known to "modify" a vehicle to make it better (along with other ventures I own a shop that builds performance engines so I know what mindset many racers have). To keep you vehicle more collectable than others is to keep the miles low and do leave it as it came from the factory (do not change anything). In 20 years out of the 750 LS's being built there may only be 200-300 that are factory original and just watch Barrett Jackson and see what that does to the value. I plan on driving my LS only a couple of thousand miles a year and when doing shows that are not local it will be trailered. Only my two cents worth.
Bob
Old 6/21/11, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

collectible

I agree with ford, these cars were made to be enjoyed and driven, I am 56 years old, and to buy one of these cars and not use it would be a shame, don't plan on using it as a daily driver, but would rather enjoy it, instead of gambling on what might or might not be, you might not be here tomorrow and then what pleasure would you have gotton out of this awsome car, I had an original Boss and took very good care of it, then while driving thru a construction zone, it got crushed by a front end loader, from an operator not paying attention, bottom line here today gone tomorrow,,enjoy it why you can
Old 6/21/11, 07:45 AM
GT Member

What made those '60s muscle cars collectible,was the absolute dark days of performance,coming from the Big Three,during the late 70's and thru the 80's.
The guys who once owned these muscle cars,of old,were thinking back about those clean looks,rumbling big blocks,and the sweet sound of solid lifter cams,and those 13 sec. time slips.
That brought about the demand for what was left of good quality '60s muscle.
Nowdays,400-500+ HP performance cars are at most any dealer,and the make the old muscle pale,in comparison.
Until the HP stops coming from the factories,it will be a good while before anything new becomes a hot collectible. There's always something hotter,coming from Ford,as in the 2012 Boss engine might show up as a base GT engine.
Enjoy these cars now,instead of wrapping them in plastic.
My 2001 Bullitt,was billed as a hot future collectible too, but could get a wallop from a slightly tuned 2012 V6 Mustang "girly" car!!

Also note the old cars with a mix of strange options or deletes,brought the higher collector value. Nowdays the new cars come with a couple of pre-packaged option groups...no more personal pick of what you want.

Last edited by Mus408; 6/21/11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 6/21/11, 08:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by billyboss
I agree with ford, these cars were made to be enjoyed and driven, I am 56 years old, and to buy one of these cars and not use it would be a shame, don't plan on using it as a daily driver, but would rather enjoy it, instead of gambling on what might or might not be, you might not be here tomorrow and then what pleasure would you have gotton out of this awsome car, I had an original Boss and took very good care of it, then while driving thru a construction zone, it got crushed by a front end loader, from an operator not paying attention, bottom line here today gone tomorrow,,enjoy it why you can
Bill excellent post and we are thinking along the same lines about using our cars. Mine won't be a daily driver but when I'm driving it I'm going to have as much fun as the law allows. While I do believe the new Boss cars will depreciate less than a 2012 GT I do not expect mine to turn into an investment during my lifetime.
Old 6/21/11, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PTRocks
The mythical Yellow Blaze with white stripes. Only available in Canada, and I have yet to find even one.

EDIT: I finally found one!!! I'd love to see pics of it.
This
Old 6/21/11, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

No, it will not be as collectable. But its still just as much or even a more badass car.
Old 6/21/11, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

imo, the most valuable (whatever that is, could be nothing) in the future would be Laguna Seca #001, possibly followed close behind by the Grabber Blue LS. However, before these cars build any kind of future collectible value, I'll be pushing up daisies. So, I'm going to enjoy mine now.

The problem I have believing any of today's cars (not just Boss') will be collectible, is the amount of technology (electroincs and preformed pieces) in the cars that will be obsolete in the future making finding spares a real challenge. e.g. I doubt many people will be able to fabricate an engine management computer in their garage workshop.
Old 6/21/11, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
imo, the most valuable (whatever that is, could be nothing) in the future would be Laguna Seca #001, possibly followed close behind by the Grabber Blue LS. However, before these cars build any kind of future collectible value, I'll be pushing up daisies. So, I'm going to enjoy mine now.

The problem I have believing any of today's cars (not just Boss') will be collectible, is the amount of technology (electroincs and preformed pieces) in the cars that will be obsolete in the future making finding spares a real challenge. e.g. I doubt many people will be able to fabricate an engine management computer in their garage workshop.
Theat is why the true collector always buys 2. 1 donor car, 1 to sell. /s
Old 6/21/11, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mus408
What made those '60s muscle cars collectible,was the absolute dark days of performance,coming from the Big Three,during the late 70's and thru the 80's.
The guys who once owned these muscle cars,of old,were thinking back about those clean looks,rumbling big blocks,and the sweet sound of solid lifter cams,and those 13 sec. time slips.
That brought about the demand for what was left of good quality '60s muscle.
Nowdays,400-500+ HP performance cars are at most any dealer,and the make the old muscle pale,in comparison.
Until the HP stops coming from the factories,it will be a good while before anything new becomes a hot collectible. There's always something hotter,coming from Ford,as in the 2012 Boss engine might show up as a base GT engine.
Enjoy these cars now,instead of wrapping them in plastic.
My 2001 Bullitt,was billed as a hot future collectible too, but could get a wallop from a slightly tuned 2012 V6 Mustang "girly" car!!

Also note the old cars with a mix of strange options or deletes,brought the higher collector value. Nowdays the new cars come with a couple of pre-packaged option groups...no more personal pick of what you want.
Very true. Remember, the '60's and early '70's musclecars were never sold as collectables, just fast and fun cars that actually became collectables. Now, the remakes are being sold as "collectables" which makes the buyer really think he's investing in a cars future value. How false and misleading. They just want to sell their cars and play on the buyers emotion of yesteryear. And it seems to be working too with unfair and pointless ADM's that are being paid in some cases. Almost every Mustang made in the last 35+ years has gone down in value over time. Yes, the Shelby GT, GT500's, Mach 1's, Bullitts, 2000R's and CS's have all gone down in value (save the #001 Boss). And the Boss will too, as the next great Mustang hits the streets. Sad, but true. The only car I can think of that actually went up in value was the Buick GNX. It's a played out scene over and over again.

Last edited by goesfast; 6/21/11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 6/21/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed with most posted here....the value in these cars is the enjoyment you get from using them and not much else.
Old 6/21/11, 07:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look at other previous special editions and limited edition cars and see how their resale is.
Check out the 3 years of Cobra R's and Mach1s when they came back.
Old 6/21/11, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Generally, if you buy a new car thinking it's going to be a collectible...it's usually not. If everyone is collecting a car, it doesn't make it collectible, because everyone has one. It's those cars of old where most got wrecked from driving too fast and being abused, but there were a couple that happened to make it through in true muscle fashion. Now those cars are worth the money.

On that note, if you buy a car as an investment, you are an idiot. A car is never an investment. If you have a ton of money laying around and want to have a car collection, that is one thing...but don't buy a car hoping it will turn a profit. You can always invest more wisely than that
Old 6/22/11, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Nccstud
Generally, if you buy a new car thinking it's going to be a collectible...it's usually not. If everyone is collecting a car, it doesn't make it collectible, because everyone has one. It's those cars of old where most got wrecked from driving too fast and being abused, but there were a couple that happened to make it through in true muscle fashion. Now those cars are worth the money.

On that note, if you buy a car as an investment, you are an idiot. A car is never an investment. If you have a ton of money laying around and want to have a car collection, that is one thing...but don't buy a car hoping it will turn a profit. You can always invest more wisely than that
Exactly correct. It's a shame that some buyers fall for this ploy from dealers, and of course their own emotions. Buy the car because you like it, then drive it!
Old 6/22/11, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

as i learned, the first one of anything with a serial number can be worth big bucks. i don't expect 333 to be worth anything more than KBB if it ever gets traded.
Old 6/22/11, 06:59 PM
GT Member

I have mine for an investment!!! in me! Makes me feel good and smile!
I agree that the LS may be worth more in 20-30 years. The folks getting them
are out to run them as designed and as several have said, modify them to
get the best performance out of them. Making the stock ones hard to find!
Old 6/22/11, 10:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Other factors to consider, how many Boss's will be totalled, especially as a large number of us want to run them on tracks? And what if Ford doesn't sell the numbers they want. Means big discounts short term, but maybe big bucks in 40 years, not that I'll care...

Quick Reply: Will the 2012 Boss become as collectible as its long lost brothers?