Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

This is why Ford is making us wait for Track key

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/11, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why Ford is making us wait for Track key

Check out: " Ford to celebrate 110 years of racing heritage at SEMA"- http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/11/f...itage-at-sema/

They could give it to us and still have the big hoopla at the event.
Old 10/11/11, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

...not "ANOTHER ONE"

LOL
Old 10/11/11, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

At least this isn't another Trackey thread.
Old 10/11/11, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I think you are on to something there Jza.
Old 10/12/11, 02:29 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
is the track key like meth or something? A simple SCT tuner will out class the red key all day and all night.
Old 10/12/11, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I have not participated in all the hoopla over the track key, because I know any other tune will outperform it. The ONLY reason I want it is for the adjustable launch control for drag racing, the lopey ( lumpy, lol ) idle with the track key is just a cool feature that will make people freak out, that's always cool!!
Old 10/12/11, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
is the track key like meth or something? A simple SCT tuner will out class the red key all day and all night.
Yes I believe that, but at what cost? You void your warranty and if your engine goes about 10 G's.
Fords giving us the chance to have a closer to race car tune without voiding the warranty on our brand new cars.
Old 10/13/11, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jza1736
Yes I believe that, but at what cost? You void your warranty and if your engine goes about 10 G's.
Fords giving us the chance to have a closer to race car tune without voiding the warranty on our brand new cars.

Jason, with you about the tune and track key on your warranty. I am waiting till next spring to make my decission on installing the track key or not. I want to get all TMS Boss owners views on the impact that it makes to the car. If I choose a tune over the KEY it will have to wait till the warranty runs out. That will be a L O N G wait. So for now the money set aside for the Track Key will go to some paint work on the hood instead. Then a long winter nap for my Girl. So TMS Boss owners: Please post your true feelings on the Track Key impact it has on your Boss. Thank you in advance.
Old 10/13/11, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have absolutely no idea what you're basing that statement on. Will a canned SCT tune provide additional engine braking? How about adjust spark timing based on the octane fuel being used. Will it adjust fan settings to aid in cooling? How about that funky idle? How about the other 600 things we don't even know about yet? Will it maximize the output of the TiVCT throughout the RPM band?

I assume you're basing your statement on something as simple as peak HP. If that's all you're talking about, I'll be happy to run you on a road course in your Boss with a canned SCT tune and me in my TK equipped Boss
Old 10/13/11, 12:51 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by cloud9
I have absolutely no idea what you're basing that statement on. Will a canned SCT tune provide additional engine braking? How about adjust spark timing based on the octane fuel being used. Will it adjust fan settings to aid in cooling? How about that funky idle? How about the other 600 things we don't even know about yet? Will it maximize the output of the TiVCT throughout the RPM band?
yes... even old tuners can change spark, fans and so on.

Ford isnt even covering bad clutchs right now.. you think they will have a bleeding heart when you run into a problem in a raced/tracked boos with a magic key?
Old 10/13/11, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I assume you're basing your statement on something as simple as peak HP. If that's all you're talking about, I'll be happy to run you on a road course in your Boss with a canned SCT tune and me in my TK equipped Boss

Yes my Lund tune does all of these...and i even had the TiVCT cam timing adjusted to extend valve overlap to have that "Lopey Idle" when it was N/A powered. Besisde the funky idle John was able to adjust the TiVCT to enhance mid RPM torque over stock...He is a TiVCT Ninja!! LOL We actaully dialed out engine braking on my set up to account for the parasitic drag from the blower, along with that my "track" tune setup has the fan speed control set to 100% at 170 F, and timing a little more conservative for extended high rpm high heat conditions.

I am sure Lund could do the launch control if people really wanted it...but then Ford would probably be just a little upset
Old 10/13/11, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yes... even old tuners can change spark, fans and so on.

Ford isnt even covering bad clutchs right now.. you think they will have a bleeding heart when you run into a problem in a raced/tracked boos with a magic key?
Old tuners can adjust for spark on a "fixed" basis, but can they adjust for octane on the fly? Generally they're programmed to run at a certain minimum octane, and if the owner fills up with something lower, detonation and possibly a new engine. I wasn't aware of one that can adjust based on the fuel being used, so would be interested to hear about that. Same holds true for the fan settings.

Yes I can make a fixed adjustment to the low/high speed fan temps on my X3, but not vary it based on RPM, CHT, etc. I understand that the TK tune will be much more dynamic in how it adjusts than a standard SCT tune.
Old 10/13/11, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
We actaully dialed out engine braking on my set up to account for the parasitic drag from the blower, along with that my "track" tune setup has the fan speed control set to 100% at 170 F, and timing a little more conservative for extended high rpm high heat conditions.
I talked to one of his business associates and the way he explained to me, the variable fan speed settings were locked and could not be altered by after-market tuners....
Old 10/13/11, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes my Lund tune does all of these...and i even had the TiVCT cam timing adjusted to extend valve overlap to have that "Lopey Idle" when it was N/A powered. Besisde the funky idle John was able to adjust the TiVCT to enhance mid RPM torque over stock...He is a TiVCT Ninja!! LOL We actaully dialed out engine braking on my set up to account for the parasitic drag from the blower, along with that my "track" tune setup has the fan speed control set to 100% at 170 F, and timing a little more conservative for extended high rpm high heat conditions.

I am sure Lund could do the launch control if people really wanted it...but then Ford would probably be just a little upset
Since your Boss isn't tuned for a road course application, comparing it to TracKey is really apples and oranges.......
Old 10/13/11, 01:11 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I talked to one of his business associates and the way he explained to me, the variable fan speed settings were locked and could not be altered by after-market tuners....
I am just saying othign more needs to be added to these threads.

nothing but poor me track key stories. Its like a new parent killing you with cute details and pics but with more whine because one of the arms is in the mail.
Old 10/13/11, 01:16 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

side note...

is it wrong that every time I see that title I want to say "because you touch yourself at night.. and ford knows it"
Old 10/13/11, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

They are misinformed. According to the data screen on my SCT the fan goes 100% full on at 170- Before it was a slow ramp up at a higher temp 190 iirc
Old 10/13/11, 01:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

my nephews 2003 ford focus can change the fan speeds and temps
Old 10/13/11, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since your Boss isn't tuned for a road course application, comparing it to TracKey is really apples and oranges.......

I can appreciate this- But when it was n/a it was a road/track tune...just not his "race" or aggressive tune as i wanted it very safe when being used hard.

Now after the blower install he has totally changed the throttle maps, TiVCT, ignition timing, and A/F to make the blower as "track ready" as possible. I can tell you that the tune on the car now is completely different as far as throttle feel compared to the regular KB tune even on the street. Not to say the KB tune isn't great, but Lund's tweaking made it awesome on this application!! The car has been really detuned... It is so tractable, so smooth, I would not hesitate to do an all day track day with this tune and set up.

Obviously I would not want to do a track day on 80 degree + days, and I can't use ALL the power but it will be a blast if I still have the car in the spring at Summit Point!!
Old 10/13/11, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

They are misinformed. According to the data screen on my SCT the fan goes 100% full on at 170- Before it was a slow ramp up at a higher temp 190 iirc
I think that's my point, the stock tune uses variable fan speed settings and now you're set for high speed fan at a discrete data point - 170.

Quick Reply: This is why Ford is making us wait for Track key