Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/14, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
BRB. I got the call moments ago that it's ready to be picked up.

Edit - What a mess. At the first stop light, I put it in second gear and was greeted with a good, solid "crunch". Not racing or testing the repair...just normal driving in rush hour traffic. I had a couple of really good second gear shifts but most were still like pulling the shifter through a bag of marbles. On the bright side, the third gear "nibble" seems to be gone. Also, the clutch engagement point has returned to where it was from the factory, before the first rebuild. I don't think it's the tech's fault. It seems to be set up well but it's still not repaired.

Then there's the other side of leaving your car at a dealership for five weeks. I was greeted with a new paint chip high on the front driver's fender. I already know of a couple of chips that happened while driving. I touched one up that sits on the wheel lip just below the new one right before it went into service so I know this one is brand new. They did me a favor by washing it but washing it with clean water and drying it afterwards was too much to expect. It was covered in grey water spots. I tried to clean the windshield with the washer fluid so I could see but the washer fluid wouldn't clean off the spots. If you think I might be too critical, take a look at the color of the mud they washed my car with. Here's a pic of the drivers door sill where it's sitting thick, like chalk. The whole car was covered in this color water spots...stripes, glass, spoiler, etc. I re-washed it as soon as I got home which is why I found the new chip.

It sucks that a trans repair is pretty much out of the question for people to do at home, this is why I try to do all of my work unless I absolutely have to.
Old 7/2/14, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRB. I got the call moments ago that it's ready to be picked up.

Edit - What a mess. At the first stop light, I put it in second gear and was greeted with a good, solid "crunch". Not racing or testing the repair...just normal driving in rush hour traffic. I had a couple of really good second gear shifts but most were still like pulling the shifter through a bag of marbles. On the bright side, the third gear "nibble" seems to be gone. Also, the clutch engagement point has returned to where it was from the factory, before the first rebuild. I don't think it's the tech's fault. It seems to be set up well but it's still not repaired.

Then there's the other side of leaving your car at a dealership for five weeks. I was greeted with a new paint chip high on the front driver's fender. I already know of a couple of chips that happened while driving. I touched one up that sits on the wheel lip just below the new one right before it went into service so I know this one is brand new. They did me a favor by washing it but washing it with clean water and drying it afterwards was too much to expect. It was covered in grey water spots. I tried to clean the windshield with the washer fluid so I could see but the washer fluid wouldn't clean off the spots. If you think I might be too critical, take a look at the color of the mud they washed my car with. Here's a pic of the drivers door sill where it's sitting thick, like chalk. The whole car was covered in this color water spots...stripes, glass, spoiler, etc. I re-washed it as soon as I got home which is why I found the new chip.

I will only take my Boss to the dealer for something MAJOR. Nobody will take care of my car as good as I do. I am fortunate enough to have a complete shop with the tools and knowledge to fix just about anything. Most dealers will only have one tech that has a clue what a Boss is or how to do anything on it.
Old 7/2/14, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
I will only take my Boss to the dealer for something MAJOR. Nobody will take care of my car as good as I do. I am fortunate enough to have a complete shop with the tools and knowledge to fix just about anything. Most dealers will only have one tech that has a clue what a Boss is or how to do anything on it.
I think the tech did a good job with what he had to work with. He noted on the repair invoice that the bearings showed abnormal scoring. This is on a transmission that was rebuilt only a few thousand miles before and received all new bearings and synchros.

I had the chance to take it for a longer drive. I didn't get any harsh crunches on this drive but there were some pretty rough shifts going through the synchros. It never shifts the same way twice. I don't know if it's going to pop right into gear or if I'm going to have to wiggle or pull it hard into gear. In any event, I still cringe with every shift into second out of habit in anticipation of a gawd-awful crunch.
Old 7/2/14, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Jesus Christ. At the first sign of transmission trouble I'm throwing my warranty out the window and getting a T56 or TR6060 swap. I'll save up for the supercharger later. I had a T56 in my 03 GT and that thing was bullet proof.
Old 7/2/14, 09:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Jesus Christ. At the first sign of transmission trouble I'm throwing my warranty out the window and getting a T56 or TR6060 swap. I'll save up for the supercharger later. I had a T56 in my 03 GT and that thing was bullet proof.
The MT82 isn't as bad of a trans as everyone makes it out to be there were just somethings that should have been done differently going into the Mustang.
Old 7/3/14, 01:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I feel you on the dealer BS, not as serious but I had a blown speaker and trusted the dealer to check it out responsibly, went to pick up my car since they had to order the speaker and found my average MPG at 7 or 8 down from 18 so I know someone thrashed it but never took a picture before dropping it off.
Your avg mpg drops like a rock when the car sits idling. Nobody thrashed your car.
Old 7/3/14, 06:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Your avg mpg drops like a rock when the car sits idling. Nobody thrashed your car.
I'm more inclined to think the worst, there would be no reason for the car to be idling for what I brought it in for.

EDIT: Thinking about it that does make much more sense, I guess I was jumping to conclusions, especially after what recently happened in DE with the ZL1.

Last edited by Brandon302; 7/3/14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 7/3/14, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Idling will definitely kill the mpgs.
Old 7/3/14, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

That's a very expensive fix, considering the added cost of a driveshaft and new gears in the rear end to compensate for the new ratios. How much do you estimate the parts and labor? 7-9k ?
Old 7/3/14, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

a T56 magnum swap is 5k from JPC I think.
Old 7/3/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's a very expensive fix, considering the added cost of a driveshaft and new gears in the rear end to compensate for the new ratios. How much do you estimate the parts and labor? 7-9k ?
Hopefully I don't have any trouble with my MT-82, but I'm not going through that bs. There's no way I'm letting a dealer rebuild my transmission 3 times, trash my car, and still not fix the problem (again, crossing my fingers I got a good one).

I'd settle for a used T-56 out of a Cobra too. They can be had for around $3k these days. Driveshaft is a drop in the bucket. I have 3.73s already.
Old 7/3/14, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

If you read the threads over at BMO for Boss owners that have already done this swap, they bumped the gear ratio up to 4:10 or higher... Yeah it sounds nuts but read what others have done that have already gone down this road, and why.
Old 7/3/14, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you read the threads over at BMO for Boss owners that have already done this swap, they bumped the gear ratio up to 4:10 or higher... Yeah it sounds nuts but read what others have done that have already gone down this road, and why.
I hear ya. We'll see if it comes to that. I really hope not. I'd rather that money go to the Kenne Bell fund
Old 7/4/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
The MT82 isn't as bad of a trans as everyone makes it out to be there were just somethings that should have been done differently going into the Mustang.
I let an engineer from work take my Boss for a ride to get his opinion on the trans. He is also a Mustang enthusiast with a '68 GT 500, '69 Mach 1 and '07 GT500 among others, which is why I trust his opinion. He said that he feels something funny in second gear but it didn't crunch the gear while he was driving. His suggestion is to put some miles on it and see if it gets worse or better. I notified the dealership that this is what I will do. If it gets worse, I'll take it back for service again.

I got to drive his GT500 while he drove my Boss.
Old 7/4/14, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I let an engineer from work take my Boss for a ride to get his opinion on the trans. He is also a Mustang enthusiast with a '68 GT 500, '69 Mach 1 and '07 GT500 among others, which is why I trust his opinion. He said that he feels something funny in second gear but it didn't crunch the gear while he was driving. His suggestion is to put some miles on it and see if it gets worse or better. I notified the dealership that this is what I will do. If it gets worse, I'll take it back for service again. I got to drive his GT500 while he drove my Boss.
How'd the GT500 feel what with its REAL transmission?
Old 7/4/14, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

How'd the GT500 feel what with its REAL transmission?
I told him the GT500 felt like a luxury car compared to the Boss. It's so quiet, smooth and soft, it's hard to believe that it's the brutal performance car that it is. That transmission was super nice to shift. The gear ratios really surprised me. We were driving in busy traffic and a couple of times I was like "Oh no, I'm still in second gear" while driving where I'd usually be in 3rd or 4th in the Boss, look at the tach, only 1800 rpm. The torque just makes everything effortless.

On a bright note, I took my wife to dinner in the Boss tonight and took a nice long cruise around town afterward. I did not experience one bad shift.
Old 7/10/14, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sorry if this is the wrong post...but i remember reading somewhere about jacking up your mustang with a hockey puck on the jack so it doesnt damage the metal....well i tried that this weekend...total fail...the hockey puck even though its solid rubber, it still crushed under pressure.....something more solid is needed between the jack and metal of the car to keep it safe. just an FYI
Old 7/10/14, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
sorry if this is the wrong post...but i remember reading somewhere about jacking up your mustang with a hockey puck on the jack so it doesnt damage the metal....well i tried that this weekend...total fail...the hockey puck even though its solid rubber, it still crushed under pressure.....something more solid is needed between the jack and metal of the car to keep it safe. just an FYI
Wood block, or grab some of those jacking plates that fit over the pinch welds.
Old 7/10/14, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Specifically the Boss 302? I used the tire jack that comes with certain Mustangs on my GT with no block and there were no problems...
Old 7/10/14, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

These will be available shortly. Bolt on jack plates. http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7922.0

Quick Reply: What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?