Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Video: BOSS Baseline Dyno (+ exhaust disc removal)

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTD
The average stock GT is running 110-111 in the quarter, not 113-115.
No doubt. I tend to take note of the best running cars to make my comparisons. I also dismiss results from cars running at high elevations.
Old 4/17/11, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

One other thing, the curves show a 10 HP improvement after removing the disc - over a broad peak power area. The 4HP "peak" number is a little deceptive.

This leads to another observation - the TiVC is able to optimize the powerband where one races at (either drag racing or track - doesn't matter), peak power doesn't win races, average power in the range where one will be operating the engine at does. That, combined with the lack of heatsoak is why the Boss is able to keep up with the GT500 with a considerably lower peak HP rating.
Old 4/17/11, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

well im sort of thinking that the normal key boss performance might be "down" a bit compared to the normal 5.0 GT to make track key look better. I have seen numerous dyno sheets with 11 GTs in the 370-380 whp range, and yes they are tools and readings vary. still a slew of them with the same HP range is evidence enough for me that the power is generally the same and the readings are accurate.

IDK i can't see ford making the boss 302, and lets face it for an actual ford this is the halo car, have less performance anywhere than the normal GT that costs as much as $10k less. i also think Ford and everyone else knows the majority of these cars will see more qtr mile duty than road course duty simply due to the fact that there are many more drag strips than road courses. i also think that the launch control feature clearly points to the fact that ford knows the car will be on the qtr a lot. Im not hard core road racer, but that feature seems to clearly be aimed at drag racers to me.

EDIT: i would love to see someone with a tuner up the rev limit 500rpm or so and do a dyno and see if there is more to be had simply from that. a few reports claim the power was building as the car hit rev limit.

Last edited by ShaneM; 4/17/11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 4/17/11, 11:41 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
No doubt. I tend to take note of the best running cars to make my comparisons. I also dismiss results from cars running at high elevations.
Picking the outliers here though isn't particularly helpful. There have been way more GT runs recorded than Boss runs, so the GTs have had more opportunity to run under negative DA conditions, cold temps, fast tracks, tailwinds, etc. than Bosses.

The average GT is trapping 110-111, the average Boss is trapping 115-116. A 5 mph average difference in a 36xx lb car is HUGE.
Old 4/17/11, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
It's not just the peak power, it's where the power's made. I was at the track last weekend with an '11 5.0 that had a Steeda CAI/tune, koni adj shocks, lowering springs, Torsen diff, Boss front splitter and a Fays2 Watts link. We ran the same NT01 tires, Enkei track wheels, DTC 70/60 pads and Goodridge SS lines. The Boss ran 4 seconds faster all day even as both our lap times dropped by 4 seconds overall from the first session to the last of the day. Certainly TracKey will only improve the power curve.
Interesting point, but how would you compare his driving ability to yours?
Old 4/17/11, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT
Interesting point, but how would you compare his driving ability to yours?
I know that makes it difficult. He was a good driver, but I did follow him for a while and saw a few places he could improve his line. Part of that was experience on that partiuclar track though. However, since we both improved our lap times by 4 seconds over the course of the day it somewhat mitigates the "experience" factor.

The other data point is I ran 2.5 seconds slower than my GT500 my first time out in the Boss without TracKey. I'm giving up 200 rwhp in the Boss which means about 2/3 the horsepower of the GT500 and only 300 lbs lighter. The GT500 has adj coilovers and a full Griggs rear suspension, so I'm pretty impressed with the Boss' ability to deliver the power.
Old 4/17/11, 03:26 PM

Did you end up turning a faster time in the Boss vs. the GT500?
Old 4/17/11, 04:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
well im sort of thinking that the normal key boss performance might be "down" a bit compared to the normal 5.0 GT to make track key look better. I have seen numerous dyno sheets with 11 GTs in the 370-380 whp range, and yes they are tools and readings vary. still a slew of them with the same HP range is evidence enough for me that the power is generally the same and the readings are accurate.
Do you have some links to where those sheets might be if they are online?

IDK i can't see ford making the boss 302, and lets face it for an actual ford this is the halo car, have less performance anywhere than the normal GT that costs as much as $10k less. i also think Ford and everyone else knows the majority of these cars will see more qtr mile duty than road course duty simply due to the fact that there are many more drag strips than road courses.
All of the public information suggests that a lot of the development money went into suspension tuning for road course driving, as opposed to drag strip driving, unless I am misinterpreting the engineering specs.

i also think that the launch control feature clearly points to the fact that ford knows the car will be on the qtr a lot. Im not hard core road racer, but that feature seems to clearly be aimed at drag racers to me.
I think it could point to have a good launch at the standing start of race. F1 cars used to have launch control for that reason

EDIT: i would love to see someone with a tuner up the rev limit 500rpm or so and do a dyno and see if there is more to be had simply from that. a few reports claim the power was building as the car hit rev limit.
Might be cool, but I am wondering who would want to be the person to let their new Boss engine run at that level and experience a failure. D'oh!
Old 4/17/11, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT
Did you end up turning a faster time in the Boss vs. the GT500?
Not yet, but I suspect I will, especially with TracKey. I drove and tracked the GT500 for four years. I drove the Boss for 10 days (1000 miles) and was on my first track day with it. The lowest time I turned in my GT500 was last fall in nice cool temps and was over one full second better than my best time ever in it. I also have probably 15k in upgrades to the GT500

The other thing is I'm not sure just comparing individual fastest lap times is as relevant as it is in drag racing. You'd be better off taking an average over a 20 minute session.

Last edited by cloud9; 4/17/11 at 04:21 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Do you have some links to where those sheets might be if they are online?

All of the public information suggests that a lot of the development money went into suspension tuning for road course driving, as opposed to drag strip driving, unless I am misinterpreting the engineering specs.

I think it could point to have a good launch at the standing start of race. F1 cars used to have launch control for that reason

Might be cool, but I am wondering who would want to be the person to let their new Boss engine run at that level and experience a failure. D'oh!

a guy in my local club had his stock on the dyno at 380. I also understand that what we could be seeing is a few 5.0 cars that were on the high side of norm and perhaps a not quite broken in boss on the low side of norm. it's impressive that the discs out meant 10 more whp though. and one of the program engineers said the engine in the boss was good for 8300rpm and before the dude in the epic thread of tease stopped talking he had mentioned lund tuned his for 8250 i believe.

there were also several 5.0 sheets on mustang forums, i believe the 11-12 gt section has a thread for dyno charts. i forum hop so its hard to remember specifically where i saw them. i ran across several sheets in the 370-380whp range. FWIW i understand the car is tuned for road course, i never watch f1 so i didn't realize those cars used launch control.

Last edited by ShaneM; 4/17/11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 06:20 PM

I have been on these boards since 2002 when we were all waiting for the 2003 Terminator to be introduced, then we waited for the GT500, then the 5.0, and now the Boss. I have seen all sorts of dyno numbers and people claiming "factory freaks" and I have bought all of the hype...I moded the Terminator, two GT500s, the 5.0...etc...and I have NEVER realized the claims of these Boards and tuners. I have run everything on the same dyno at the same location always letting the car cool down..am I disappointed with tunes..obviously not because I keep buying them. Folks do not get hung up over dyno numbers because you can get a wide range of numbers and they mean nothing. The question you have to ask does the car perform better with the tunes and do you enjoy the car more...in my case...yes in every case. My latest experience with the 2011 5.0 was a stock dyno number of 363 which in my opinion is right there with most stock 5.0. I did the cold air and John Lund tune and the car dynoed 380. Did I pick up all the generally claimed 25 to 35 rwhp..no am I disappointed ..again no. The car drives a lot better and more responsive so I am happy. If the stock Boss put down 385 too 389 that is not that far off from expectations. Was the car hot..if so these new 5.0 generate a lot of heat and they will pull time. Yes, I do have a Boss and does it perform significant differently from my 5.0...no but it is entirely different car and I enjoy it for what it is. Not calling out tuners but they are in the business to sell tunes...they will present their product in the most favorable light and I will leave that statement right there with no more comments. Folks...go enjoy your cars and ignore the dyno numbers....they are just that...numbers.
Old 4/17/11, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

just numbers, but they are fun to talk about whilst we all wait for our cars to show up lol
Old 4/17/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RaceRedBoss
Yes, I do have a Boss and does it perform significant differently from my 5.0...no but it is entirely different car and I enjoy it for what it is.
So, based on your experience with a 5.0 & BOSS, do you feel like you made a mistake on the BOSS (Spend More $$$ less BELLS)?

Which would you recommend to a Family member or close friend?
Old 4/17/11, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
So, based on your experience with a 5.0 & BOSS, do you feel like you made a mistake on the BOSS (Spend More $$$ less BELLS)?

Which would you recommend to a Family member or close friend?
i second this, i think despite the fact that we must all have these cars are or waiting on them to get here we cal all agree you could take a normal 5.0 and with the right parts beat either version of the boss. granted there are other benefits to the boss.
Old 4/17/11, 09:58 PM

There was also a video of FRPP testing the launch control feature for exiting the pit boxes in the BOSS302S. Pretty cool IMO.

And "lol" at 8250 rev limit on the aftermarket tune...I would not tempt fate that high up.