Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Transmissions Being Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/11, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol finally the tranny hysteria has made it to the boss forum.....yes. Beware guys pretty soon you are gonna hear stories of multiple tranny replacements, horrible stories of clucking gears, big foot, second shooters on the grassy knoll, Santa clause, and guys crying about Chinese things. You will soon find that there maybe a 100 people in this country that have some small issues with this tranny, everybody else in jumping on the bandwagon.
Old 6/4/11, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ipodintampa
I think what needs to happen is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, from all 2011 GT owners, and BOSS owners who are having problems with their Chinese transmissions.

Then FORD will absolutely change where they are having it assembled, and look into exactly why their are not working out so well...

Period.
Do that, and here's what will happen - it will take 5 years before you ever have a prayer of seeing anything, and when you do, the nature of class action or "tort" style lawsuits pretty much ensures that even if you win, you'll likely end up with a check for about $12, with the coordinating counsel cashing in the rest. Trust me, I'm in the business - class action suits are a great way to punish errant parties, and make lawyers ungodly trucks full of money, but do virtually nothing for those actually affected.
Old 6/4/11, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Chinese Transmissions

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
Is this the same Tremec Transmission which is in the GT500 Shelby? I was at a Ford Dealership today, and saw a 2012 GT 500, and noticed that the Tremec which is in it is made in Mexico.

Ford needs to halt anything that has the word China on the window sticker. The sticker on all 2011/12 Mustang GT's and 302 Bosses are all Chinese garbage transmissions. I find it offensive that Ford should choose to have the Chinese have anything to do with quality control and being reliable- especially when it comes to something mechanical, and where cutting corners is what they're known for doing...

I'd rather that my Transmission is Mexican made, and reliable- period. I don't want a Chinese made car, due to the fact that so many people are already being very much affected by this.
You might not like it but it will be happening more & more.

New Transmission Plant Announcement:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=34639

They are partnering up and building new Engine Plants and Assembly Plants. China is a huge market, and Ford is just barely in it to date. Its just business. As much as I don't like it, it aint changing. These new plants will be state of the art and in some cases even better than some of the plants here. It's not just China, same thing is going on in Brazil & India. I just hope the place I work for can win some of that business! (otherwise, I'll just be another unemployed Engineer) I would sure like to see some of those major investments happen in the US instead!!

Mike
Old 6/4/11, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A guy that works at ford told me that all Boss transmissions are going to be replaced with CVTs!
Old 6/4/11, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

hey, I'm really interested in this news because I have a 2011 GT that I am a hypochondriac about even though nothings wrong with it or maybe I just don't know how to drive it - who knew!!!

anyways, let me run out to the water cooler where some DR. just happens to be talking about this same nagging problem with 5.0 mustangs and I'll run back and post about it all - in 7 minutes or less, wish me luck!!!
Old 6/4/11, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
A guy that works at ford told me that all Boss transmissions are going to be replaced with CVTs!
Now that's just too Funny

They don't work either.
Old 6/4/11, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss2X
Now that's just too Funny

They don't work either.
Old 6/4/11, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Thanks for sharing Mike. Good article, and yes you're right it's going to be happening more and more.

China will be the new Detroit, and pretty soon they'll be doing ALL the work over in China- they'll soon realize, it's more cost effective, and bean counters will be realizing that it's cheaper to just build the whole Mustang overseas in China, and then we'll all have to get over "it", here.

Outsourcing and selling their Soul to a Communist country is where everything is heading... And pretty soon, once the Chinese get a good taste of what it's like to drive Mustangs, they'll be copying, and selling their own version of them there too.

I have nothing against China at all. Live and let live. I like Chinese food once in a while, and my wife gets her nails done by them at Walmart.

That's about it.

Originally Posted by Boss2X
You might not like it but it will be happening more & more.

New Transmission Plant Announcement:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=34639

They are partnering up and building new Engine Plants and Assembly Plants. China is a huge market, and Ford is just barely in it to date. Its just business. As much as I don't like it, it aint changing. These new plants will be state of the art and in some cases even better than some of the plants here. It's not just China, same thing is going on in Brazil & India. I just hope the place I work for can win some of that business! (otherwise, I'll just be another unemployed Engineer) I would sure like to see some of those major investments happen in the US instead!!

Mike
Old 6/4/11, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok... So Jalopnik got to tour the Mustang factory this week to see the BOSS being built. He took an under-car shot and can anyone here identify whether that is still the MT82.... it looks very different than the MT82 shot in the 2011 GT pic. Is that a Tremec??? And take a good look at the BOSS shifter... The plate is bolted to the floorpan vs the remote shifter box on the MT82. just wondering...

BOSS 6/1/11:

2011 GT:

Last edited by jmatero; 6/4/11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 6/4/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

It's obviously not the MT82 seen in THIS pic of the BOSS:

Last edited by jmatero; 6/4/11 at 10:35 AM.
Old 6/4/11, 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badasbullitt
I am planning to get the TSB 11-3-18 done since it is no more than replacing the Tran fluid. I will let you know if I see any differences.
Before you do read up on it, some have had it done and are getting a whining noise. Also what is the long term good or bad of using this fluid? Wear and tear? I do not want to do this since it is a band aid fix.

I love my Boss and this problem is not the end of the world, I am also the only person to say something about it at my dealer. I have the same type of 1-2 and 2-3 as has been reported but more disturbing it bound up twice going into fifth at the track. Even if I pushed it too far over to the right, why would it bind up there and not go into fifth? I don't understand that.

It may well be my fault but I have been driving manual cars and trucks for 30 years and never had any problems, most of them Fords. Time will tell I guess.

I wish my whole car was made in the US and Canada but I guess those days are gone, I just really dislike supporting a communist country while making the attempt to buy American. (someone confirm the trans is PRC not Taiwan?)
Old 6/4/11, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe, that's the FORD Racing Boss 302S beening built and that has the Tremec T-56 Transmission not the Boss/GT MT82 Getrag unit.

Originally Posted by jmatero
Ok... So Jalopnik got to tour the Mustang factory this week to see the BOSS being built. He took an under-car shot and can anyone here identify whether that is still the MT82.... it looks very different than the MT82 shot in the 2011 GT pic. Is that a Tremec??? And take a good look at the BOSS shifter... The plate is bolted to the floorpan vs the remote shifter box on the MT82. just wondering...

BOSS 6/1/11:

2011 GT:
Old 6/4/11, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

So Ford already has a Tremec 6060 modified to bolt to the 5.0?
Old 6/4/11, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_350
I believe, that's the FORD Racing Boss 302S beening built and that has the Tremec T-56 Transmission not the Boss/GT MT82 Getrag unit.
Your correct and that that picture of the shifter is a 302S Race Car.......
Old 6/4/11, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

the orange one is not a picture of any of the street going boss mustangs.

unless that motor burns some new super clean fuel, no cats are a dead giveaway

Last edited by m4reapr; 6/4/11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 6/4/11, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
this^^ they toured the 302s plant, for some reason ford does not want anyone in the normal boss/mustang plant. they wont let media in, I've been trying to get a tour for months.

also, i will admit there is an issue with the tranny when its cold., i can feel the slight crunch on 1-2 and 2-3. it goes away once the car is hot, its also very dependent on driving style. in my car the clutch has a very narrow window between clutch activated and not activated within the travel range of the pedal. what that means is at any time if i get lazy or shift too quickly and don't time things correctly you get that slight crunch feeling on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. put the clutch all the way in shift with determination a bit more slowly than normal and its silky smooth. it really depends on how you drive IMHO and this is why some people have issues and others don't.

Last edited by ShaneM; 6/4/11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 6/4/11, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by m4reapr
the orange one is not a picture of any of the street going boss mustangs.

unless that motor burns some new super clean fuel, no cats are a dead giveaway

Also the deleted Quad exhaust. Thats no standard Boss 302
Old 6/4/11, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

CVT CVT CVT CVT CVT
Old 6/4/11, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
this^^ they toured the 302s plant, for some reason ford does not want anyone in the normal boss/mustang plant. they wont let media in, I've been trying to get a tour for months.

also, i will admit there is an issue with the tranny when its cold., i can feel the slight crunch on 1-2 and 2-3. it goes away once the car is hot, its also very dependent on driving style. in my car the clutch has a very narrow window between clutch activated and not activated within the travel range of the pedal. what that means is at any time if i get lazy or shift too quickly and don't time things correctly you get that slight crunch feeling on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. put the clutch all the way in shift with determination a bit more slowly than normal and its silky smooth. it really depends on how you drive IMHO and this is why some people have issues and others don't.
Shane, come to the Boss Reunion in Dearborn Mich @ Ford HQ this August. One of the pre-show activities is a Mustang Plant Tour, including a spin around AAI's test track in your Boss. Once in a lifetime kinda thing. I've done the Plant tour with the local Mustang Club (MOCSEM) and it was well worth it. This plant is not open to the public, so this is a special event.

Check it out here:
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=53588.0

Mike
Old 6/4/11, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Before you do read up on it, some have had it done and are getting a whining noise. Also what is the long term good or bad of using this fluid? Wear and tear? I do not want to do this since it is a band aid fix.

I love my Boss and this problem is not the end of the world, I am also the only person to say something about it at my dealer. I have the same type of 1-2 and 2-3 as has been reported but more disturbing it bound up twice going into fifth at the track. Even if I pushed it too far over to the right, why would it bind up there and not go into fifth? I don't understand that.

It may well be my fault but I have been driving manual cars and trucks for 30 years and never had any problems, most of them Fords. Time will tell I guess.

I wish my whole car was made in the US and Canada but I guess those days are gone, I just really dislike supporting a communist country while making the attempt to buy American. (someone confirm the trans is PRC not Taiwan?)
From what I have read the whining noise is due to the thinner fluids which is self explanatory. I have experimented with different shifting techniques and have had success too. I was finding that 1st gear was becoming an issue last week as far as putting it in gear from neutral while stopped at a stoplight. When the light changed I could not get it to go into gear until several attempts later which is unnerving.

My service advisor said if I wasn't happy with the TSB he would replace it back to the original state.

Is there anything to lose by doing this?

Quick Reply: Transmissions Being Replaced