Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Transmissions Being Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/11, 07:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmissions Being Replaced

I just spoke with a dealer in SoCal who told me that recently a number of Boss's showed up and he said that they where there to have the transmissions replaced with a sturdier transmission. He said their service dept. replaced them with ones Ford provided and then shipped them to the dealers that they were allocated to.

Curious has anyone else heard this?
Old 6/2/11, 07:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DA712
I just spoke with a dealer in SoCal who told me that recently a number of Boss's showed up and he said that they where there to have the transmissions replaced with a sturdier transmission. He said their service dept. replaced them with ones Ford provided and then shipped them to the dealers that they were allocated to.

Curious has anyone else heard this?
Nope. Wouldn't surprise me if they were for Shelby, Roush or Miller to play with.
Old 6/2/11, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting. I would like to know more about this. What was the reason for the replacement?
Old 6/2/11, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
Interesting. I would like to know more about this. What was the reason for the replacement?
I can only imagine there was/is a problem with them. The individual I spoke with didn't know why just that there were 10-12 new Boss's there getting trannys replaced
Old 6/2/11, 07:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like the way mine shifts at all, some say no problems but that is not the case with me. I hope this is true.
Old 6/2/11, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

Mine definitely has a noticeable clunk from 1st to 2nd most of the time. And less disturbing but still there during 2nd to 3rd. The rest are smooth.

It gets a little better after several miles of shifting.
Old 6/2/11, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

The Boss has a synchromesh 6 speed. Personally, I think it's one of the best manuals I have driven. Yeah, Skip-shift is a pain. But it will do what you want if at the right RPM and respecting the synchros at lower RPM/speed.
Old 6/2/11, 10:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Old 6/2/11, 10:48 PM
V6 Member

Isn't it Chinese?
Old 6/2/11, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DA712
Isn't it Chinese?
Trans is built in China; but so is everything else we buy in this country.
Old 6/2/11, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

It's the new Taiwan but thats just wrong IMO
Old 6/2/11, 11:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
This is the first I've heard about any Mustangs having transmission complaints. Maybe someone should get a television news outlet to do an investigative report on it.

"Mr.Mulally?"

"Yes?"

"I'm Chris Hansen, why don't you have a seat right over there."

Old 6/2/11, 11:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Mine clunks too. Maybe I can get one of these upgraded sturdier transmissions.
Old 6/2/11, 11:38 PM
V6 Member

This may be the reason my car hasn't left the factory for over a month and Ford won't provide any answers.

I understand some cars have left the ramp and returned to the factory.

Wouldn't it be nice for them to be upfront ???
Old 6/3/11, 05:49 AM
GT Member

I haven't heard of any being fully replaced, but there is a TSB out for a known issue. Mine clunks a bit 1st to 2nd but usually not after it warms up, so I'm on the fence about the fluid swap. TSB:

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/04/12/m...hifting-issue/

and

http://cdn.mustangevolution.com/foru...b-11-03-18.pdf
Old 6/3/11, 07:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I don't like the way mine shifts at all, some say no problems but that is not the case with me. I hope this is true.
Originally Posted by Motor220122
Mine definitely has a noticeable clunk from 1st to 2nd most of the time. And less disturbing but still there during 2nd to 3rd. The rest are smooth.

It gets a little better after several miles of shifting.
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Mine clunks too. Maybe I can get one of these upgraded sturdier transmissions.
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I haven't heard of any being fully replaced, but there is a TSB out for a known issue. Mine clunks a bit 1st to 2nd but usually not after it warms up, so I'm on the fence about the fluid swap. TSB:

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/04/12/m...hifting-issue/

and

http://cdn.mustangevolution.com/foru...b-11-03-18.pdf
Hello guys,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention and had your vehicle diagnosed? If not, please contact your dealer as soon as possible. Also, I would like to see how I can help as well. Please message me with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer.

Deysha
Old 6/3/11, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

If the boss uses the same MT82 transmission that the GT's use (which i think it does) then this is just the beginning of a massive downward spiral for you guys. There have been waves of guys with GT's having all kinds of shifting issues. Locking out of 1st, 2nd, no reverse, etc...

there is not official fix from ford. They're trying to bandaid the situation with a thinner fluid I think but most report minimal if not zero success.

I'm sure some of you have already seen jmatero's massive thread on it over at the AFM forum.

I'm curious what exactly the "sturdier transmission" dave spoke of actually is. Are they putting the Tremec in there?
Old 6/3/11, 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello guys,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention and had your vehicle diagnosed? If not, please contact your dealer as soon as possible. Also, I would like to see how I can help as well. Please message me with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer.

Deysha
O-Boy, I thought it was me. I'm also having a clunk from 2'nd to 3'rd. This sucks. I'm afraid to let the dealer touch it. Were do we go from here.
Old 6/3/11, 10:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello guys,

Deysha
Mine was at the dealer ALL day yesterday, they said they tried EVERYTHING but could not find anything wrong, nor duplicate the issue my wife had with it not wanting to go into 1 or reverse and then massively slipping the clutch (complete with smoke & smell) after it finally DID go into gear. This is after 8500 miles of decent operation except for for it klunking on low-speed 1-2 shifts and being "grindy" on fast 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. So the dealer said they could do nothing for me. My wife refuses to touch the car now, and I feel like it's a time bomb waiting to misbehave again.

I would be VERY frustrated except I already have a trade-in negotiated with the dealer for a new 2012 which I've ordered, so I am not too concerned at this point. If they want to sell it like that, it's up to them. But my wife has plenty of experience driving 6-speed manuals, and drove this very car daily for nearly 2 months without this issue, so I know it's not driver errror. Very unfortunate, because in my opininon the 401A aluminum shift **** is the single best component in the car!
Old 6/3/11, 07:33 PM

Sub'd.....if there's a new tranny going to be deployed and the Boss is getting it I'll order a new Boss with the upgrade pronto...

Quick Reply: Transmissions Being Replaced