Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Transmissions Being Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/11, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something else to add to the hearsay....I'm being told Tremec tranny swap is confirmed for the 302 Boss....that coming from a Stock Market news show...no clue what show or if it is true...just more hearsay....anybody know what this is all about?

IF it is true, which Tremec? Will the gearing be the same/similar to the MT-82? If not then the car won't be as much fun to drive nor accelerate as well if it is softer gearing.
Old 6/3/11, 09:13 PM
GT Member

Is this the same Tremec Transmission which is in the GT500 Shelby? I was at a Ford Dealership today, and saw a 2012 GT 500, and noticed that the Tremec which is in it is made in Mexico.

Ford needs to halt anything that has the word China on the window sticker. The sticker on all 2011/12 Mustang GT's and 302 Bosses are all Chinese garbage transmissions. I find it offensive that Ford should choose to have the Chinese have anything to do with quality control and being reliable- especially when it comes to something mechanical, and where cutting corners is what they're known for doing...

I'd rather that my Transmission is Mexican made, and reliable- period. I don't want a Chinese made car, due to the fact that so many people are already being very much affected by this.
Old 6/3/11, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fords build your own web site listed the Tremec 6060. I did not see the ratios listed. Most likely the same as in the gt 500 paired with the 3.73s in back.
Old 6/3/11, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
Is this the same Tremec Transmission which is in the GT500 Shelby? I was at a Ford Dealership today, and saw a 2012 GT 500, and noticed that the Tremec which is in it is made in Mexico.

Ford needs to halt anything that has the word China on the window sticker. The sticker on all 2011/12 Mustang GT's and 302 Bosses are all Chinese garbage transmissions. I find it offensive that Ford should choose to have the Chinese have anything to do with quality control and being reliable- especially when it comes to something mechanical, and where cutting corners is what they're known for doing...

I'd rather that my Transmission is Mexican made, and reliable- period. I don't want a Chinese made car, due to the fact that so many people are already being very much affected by this.
Wooah there tiger. Before you continue your anti-chinese rant here, bear in mind that there are numerous people now that are pointing to improper shifter alignment, malfunctioning clutches and pressure plate bolts, as well as under ENGINEERED shift fork pads on the 1/2 shift synchro. (blame the engineering team in Germany for that)

very little evidence has surfaced to show any problem having a direct correlation with the country it's manufactured in.
Old 6/3/11, 09:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

Wooah there tiger. Before you continue your anti-chinese rant here, bear in mind that there are numerous people now that are pointing to improper shifter alignment, malfunctioning clutches and pressure plate bolts, as well as under ENGINEERED shift fork pads on the 1/2 shift synchro. (blame the engineering team in Germany for that)

very little evidence has surfaced to show any problem having a direct correlation with the country it's manufactured in.
People need to quit pointing
Old 6/3/11, 10:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

Sheet rock, how many people lost there whole life saving over that - toothpaste, how many people lost their lives because of that (list goes on). Sorry don't mean to be racist but they just don't care and have little respect for human life over a buck, they have proven this over and over - just sayin, don't want to fight over it. I sure it is not every person there but government policy.

The clutch issue was not how the parts were made but how they were installed.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/6/11 at 10:29 PM.
Old 6/3/11, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello guys,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention and had your vehicle diagnosed? If not, please contact your dealer as soon as possible. Also, I would like to see how I can help as well. Please message me with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer.

Deysha
My SM is great and I am sure when something comes up to take care of this I will have no problems at my dealer. Thanks for the reply
Old 6/3/11, 10:58 PM

Let's ask a simple question.

Why would any company use China as a manufacturing base :

a) Quality built products

b) Large increase in profitability

It's one of the above.
Old 6/3/11, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by white__stallion
Something else to add to the hearsay....I'm being told Tremec tranny swap is confirmed for the 302 Boss....that coming from a Stock Market news show...no clue what show or if it is true...just more hearsay....anybody know what this is all about?

IF it is true, which Tremec? Will the gearing be the same/similar to the MT-82? If not then the car won't be as much fun to drive nor accelerate as well if it is softer gearing.
links or anything, noting pops on google about this.
Old 6/3/11, 11:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaiser302
Let's ask a simple question.

Why would any company use China as a manufacturing base :

a) Quality built products

b) Large increase in profitability

It's one of the above.
There's more involved than that.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/3/11 at 11:31 PM.
Old 6/4/11, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShaneM

links or anything, noting pops on google about this.
I can't find anything either. This was cooler talk with a Dr. At a hospital that has a 302 Boss. He couldn't remember the show oddly....his Boss shifts butter smooth....for now.
Old 6/4/11, 05:34 AM

Interesting to Note

Although I have yet to take delivery of my Boss 302, it seems somewhat strange that now we have reports of transmission issues. Prior to the start of this thread, all reports regarding the Boss were glowing -- including the transmission and shifting of same. Is this a real Boss-wide issue or a few isolated problems? If the Boss transmission is the same as the ones installed the GT or GT500, why have we not (or at least me) heard more concerning this issue? Lastly, every magazine and individual review of the Boss made no mention of shifting problems -- in fact, comments regarding the transmission and shifting were nothing short of effusive. If this is indeed a real issue and receives wide notice, it could significantly and negatively impact sales. Welcome comment.
Old 6/4/11, 05:36 AM

I'm told it was possibly 'mad money'...does that ring a bell with anybody?
Old 6/4/11, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Sheet rock, how many people lost there whole life saving over that - toothpaste, how many people lost their lives because of that (list goes on). Sorry don't mean to be racist but they just don't care and have little respect for human life over a buck, they have proven this over and over - just sayin, don't want to fight over it. I sure it is not every person their but government policy.

The clutch issue was not how the parts were made but how they were installed.
I understand your perspective, but Henry Ford, Andrew Carniegie and John D Rockerfeller were no different. They didn't give a S _ _ t about the health and welfare of the worker. I think its a function of industrialization, and less culture at this point. The difference is our Laws and freedoms allowed workers to address their grievences (which the industrialists fought against with baseball bats and guns) and the laws forced the above industrialists to change. In China, complainers just get shot or sent to political prison's for hard Labor.
Old 6/4/11, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I am planning to get the TSB 11-3-18 done since it is no more than replacing the Tran fluid. I will let you know if I see any differences.
Old 6/4/11, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was planning on replacing the tranny fluid with some Redline from day 1 in any case - never did have a race car that Redline didn't smooth out the shifting dramatically and take out the "notchiness" - so I am not too worried about this. I actually feel a bit better - for once, a car manufacturer agrees with me about swapping the factory tranny fluid:-)
Old 6/4/11, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Should've got an Auto folks. They're so sweeeeet!. I'll put mine against a manual all day. If I had a Boss, I'd spend the dough swapping in an Auto.
Old 6/4/11, 06:36 AM
GT Member

very well put,Road and track has said the transmission is great except for thr long shift. The Tremec in my Panoz had the same problems untill I learned how to drive it. The same was true with my 911 and sports racer. Give the unit and your self a chance.
Old 6/4/11, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
very well put,Road and track has said the transmission is great except for thr long shift. The Tremec in my Panoz had the same problems untill I learned how to drive it. The same was true with my 911 and sports racer. Give the unit and your self a chance.
Exactly. Try it before you burn it. Sure, there are some people who have had horrible trouble with their transmissions and it has been somewhat of a living hell trying to get that all fixed. But there are also just as many people who haven't had troubles at all. I'm not saying that every Boss will throw perfect shifts all the time, but I'm also not saying that every Boss needs a new transmission either. I'm not worrying about mine until I get it and see for myself how it shifts.
Old 6/4/11, 07:01 AM
GT Member

I think what needs to happen is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, from all 2011 GT owners, and BOSS owners who are having problems with their Chinese transmissions.

Then FORD will absolutely change where they are having it assembled, and look into exactly why their are not working out so well...

Period.

Quick Reply: Transmissions Being Replaced