2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track setup help.

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/13, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Track setup help.

So the Boss is Ford's track car. I bought into that and have more than held my own on sweeping back roads, and circuits like Mosport, the Glen and Shannonville. But the road course at Toronto Motorsport Park at Cayuga totally shows up my car and its shortcomings. I put the Boss lowering springs in hoping it would help and while I feel less dive, the roll is as present as ever. It's like I need 2 or 3 more setting on the shocks as the car just bounces and rolls about her far too much. And the brake ducts only marginally helped. The brakes get a real work out here and simply aren't up to the task off hauling the car down quickly enough while maintaing a straight line going into tight corners. I don't want to change anything that isn't reversible back to stock, but am open to suggestions. I'm tired of running with the WRX and S200O's here and want to run amongst the Porsches and Bimmers again. Help.
Old 6/20/13, 06:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue with the front of my LS.Adj. sway bays and Ford springs did not solve the problem. After looking and driving the S197 race cars I went that route. Ast shocks w/450# springs and Vorslage camber plates. Problem solved. The car runs like a dream on the track with little left front tire wear. good luck
Old 6/20/13, 07:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was going to say sways should help but maybe that isn't true. The stock shocks do leave a lot to be desired when you start pushing the car so those would probably help if replaced.
Old 6/20/13, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I can help you put together a package that we can implement in stages to achieve your goals or we can do it all at once.

First, some background about our Steeda Boss LS. It has what might be called, a “track-oriented” suspension package.

The Steeda Adjustable Coil-over suspension system is for the serious track-day and race enthusiast. By having a suspension system with so much adjustability, you will need to be able to scale the car, adjust corner weights, set camber and adjust Bumpsteer and toe before heading out to the track, - possibly even at the track.

A little less ‘track-oriented’ suspension package would be to go with our Boss Springs, but still go with our Laguna Seca’s Watts Linkage out back instead of a Panhard Bar. The Watts Link is a far superior way to locate the rear axle, and has a fixed roll center.

Many of the other parts from the Steeda Boss LS http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/11/i...-laguna-seca/# would be a great choice for yours. You will get a great handling car without all the ‘set-up’ work of a coil-over suspension system.

A ‘typical’ dual-purpose Boss LS would consist of the following parts:

Steeda Boss 302 Springs
Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts
Steeda Watts Linkage
Steeda Adjustable Upper 3rd Link
Steeda Billet Lower Trailing Arms
Steeda Lower Trailing Arm Relocation Brackets
Steeda X11 Ball Joints
Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
Steeda Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Steeda Competition Front Swaybar

Let me know your thoughts and if I can help provide you with support in putting together a package? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com .... here are some pictures of our Boss LS on the track ... testing ..

I look forward to hearing form you.

Best Regards,
TJ
Old 6/20/13, 11:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks TJ. PM coming soon.
Old 6/21/13, 10:14 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I do track my Boss, I have
Vorshlag cc plates -- GREAT
new Whiteline Watts Link -- big improvement on rear grip
Kenny Brown reloc and rear LCA's
Eibach prokit springs
Kenny Brown brake ducting
Carbotech pads
Mich Pilot Super Sport tires

I'll be at Eagles Canyon Raceway (DFW area) for Five Star Ford, Plano Track Day on Sat June 29 as an instructor
Should anyone want to do a ride along, no problem, bring a helmet

I know Terry & Amy Fair from Vorshlag will be there too with their two Mustangs
Old 9/8/13, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
I had the same issue with the front of my LS.Adj. sway bays and Ford springs did not solve the problem. After looking and driving the S197 race cars I went that route. Ast shocks w/450# springs and Vorslage camber plates. Problem solved. The car runs like a dream on the track with little left front tire wear. good luck
Would you mind sharing which brand of springs you went with?

Thanks!
Old 9/9/13, 07:03 AM
V6 Member

I replaced the entire suspension on my boss and now I beat up on 911's and Z06's. I don't even notice bimmers and WRX's anymore...

Old 9/9/13, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Very nice. Do you have another thread/post that lists all your mods? Any power mods or heavy duty weight reductions? Just got back from Track Attack, it is amazing what these cars can do just with better brakes and camber plates (what the BTA cars were running).
Old 9/9/13, 01:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ace:

BTA cars also had different tires on them. I found one of the first weaknesses, after re-doing my suspension, was the Pirelli's got overwhelmed. I have the "Regular" Boss...so perhaps the Nero's perform much better than the Zero's. Going to try and elevate my HPDE experience with a set of new Continental ( Hoosier ) slicks. Will then consider Michelin or BFG for street use.

I'm thinking DG has done a few things to his ride . I think besides suspension, wheels and tires...there must be braking enhancements. Looks like he can really drive in deep before getting on the binders. Great video BTW. Something for us "Newbies" to aspire for.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 9/9/13 at 02:05 PM.
Old 9/10/13, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah the Pirellis are a decent street tire, that's about it. The cars at Track Attack were BFG Comp2's I'll be looking at a set of those for track tires, will probably buy either Kuhmos or Hankooks for the street.

I can run my Boss as is for now with the DOT-4 fluid and SS brake lines as a novice. If I get hardcore I will consider camber plates, brake upgrades, as well as tricking out the suspension. It sure is a slippery slope...
Old 9/10/13, 11:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Yeah the Pirellis are a decent street tire, that's about it. The cars at Track Attack were BFG Comp2's I'll be looking at a set of those for track tires, will probably buy either Kuhmos or Hankooks for the street.

I can run my Boss as is for now with the DOT-4 fluid and SS brake lines as a novice. If I get hardcore I will consider camber plates, brake upgrades, as well as tricking out the suspension. It sure is a slippery slope...
It probably won't take you long to get to the point of wanting / needing upgrades. It doesn't take long and you'll be grinding off the outside edges of those front tires. But once you go through the work of putting in camber plates....might as well upgrade dampers and while your at it...springs. Before you know it....you've done the whole suspension. After that....the stock brakes aren't up to par for the suspension and neither are the stock tires. The dust settles.....your wallet is $3-4K lighter.....and the wife will begin to speak to you after a couple of months.....then you know you've made it to the end of the slippery slope on the suspension . Next up.....the slippery slope of performance upgrades.......now that's an even bigger slope to slide down from
Old 9/10/13, 05:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Very nice. Do you have another thread/post that lists all your mods? Any power mods or heavy duty weight reductions? Just got back from Track Attack, it is amazing what these cars can do just with better brakes and camber plates (what the BTA cars were running).
Apologies to the OP for the thread jack, but here's my mod list I was running in the video.

http://www.gogridwave.com/bossmods.html

Car is getting g-stream 68" wing and AST 5200's put on right now...
Old 9/11/13, 05:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by figit
Would you mind sharing which brand of springs you went with?

Thanks!
I went with the eibach springs. I think that the spring manufacture makes little difference at our level of driving (just a quality manufacture), I would do one step at at a time and start with the Whiteline sway bars. Thats just me .