2012-2013 BOSS 302

Tires for non-track use

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/11 | 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tires for non-track use

I'm thinking of getting tires for 'everyday' type driving, with possibly getting surprised with the unavoidable occasional rain shower. I do see temps into the 20sF, but no snow. I'm going to hold the Corsas for more serious use, and car shows.

I'm thinking Eagle GT Supercar tires mounted on the black Ford Racing 302S wheels. Thoughts?
Old 6/14/11 | 10:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm probably going to buy some Hankook V12's and just ordered STV PP 19x9 and 19x10 wheels.
Old 6/14/11 | 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

1FAFP90, I thought about this several months ago before taking delivery of my car. Wanted moderately priced, better wear rating and rain acceptable use for street use. I will save the Corsa's for the track where they are most appropriate.

Looked at many different options but also decided to stay with the exact OE sizes on new OE Ford SVT (Boss) 19" rims. I decided on the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's. Cannot give you an impression yet as I pick the car up this weekend. Several other LS owners I am aware have also selected this tire and maybe they can comment on their experience.
Old 6/14/11 | 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the comments about the V12s - however, I didn't think they were good at below or near freezing temps, which I will see in my driving.

I'm staying with OEM wheel and tire sizes.
Old 6/14/11 | 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

You are right, the V12's are really billed as "summer" tires, and I have the luxury of not having to drive the Boss all year round. The car will stay in the garage probably Nov-March.

Thus you have different selection criteria.

Let us know what and how you decide on.
Old 6/14/11 | 02:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
Thanks for the comments about the V12s - however, I didn't think they were good at below or near freezing temps, which I will see in my driving.

I'm staying with OEM wheel and tire sizes.
I completely agree that you need two sets of wheels/tires.

Unfortunately, per Tire Rack, none of the "max performance summer" tires are meant to be driven near freezing temps.

As a personal preference, I do not care for directional tread patterns like the Hankooks. I find they tend to growl as they wear down.

I have no experience with the GY Supercar, but, other than draining your wallet, you cannot go wrong with Michelin PS2's. I used them on my M3 year-round in NC (car stayed in the garage even at the slimmest chance of snow/ice) with no issues. Just be aware...

A bargain would be the Conti DW's at under $1100, and a good midpoint b/t the Hankooks and GY's. I have had good experiences with Conti's in the past, especially in the wet. I do not have experience with the DW's but they are well reviewed, as in numero uno.

B-
Old 6/14/11 | 03:28 PM

We had the GY F1 Supercars on our 2007 Corvette and they were the scariest tire I've ever driven on in the rain or cold. At just 6,000 miles we swapped to Michelin PS AS ZPs and have been extremely happy with them. The ride is great and the road noise in our covertible is minimal. They aren't nearly as bad about tracking in grooves on the highway. They are a high performance all season run flat and rated to use in light snow.

I haven't checked sizes to see if you can run them on the Mustang since our car runs staggered 18" front and 19" rear, but if they have the sizes to fit they are fantastic.
Old 6/14/11 | 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree, the Goodyear F1 Supercar are one of the worst tires I have ever used. Needless to say I quickly changed them out on my 2008 Vette. I usually stick with Michelin, or another Pirelli, those are always good choices.
Old 6/14/11 | 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the replies
the Michelins PS AS ZP don't come in the correct size for the front.

This is the result tirerack gives me when I search for both sizes:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?frontWidth=255%2F&frontRatio =40&frontDiameter=19&rearWidth=285%2F&rearRatio=35 &rearDiameter=19

All of them mention summer.

The Pirelli Corsa, which is OEM, Right Rear is on closeout. Left is not. Strange.

Interesting that I have had F1Supercar tires and don't remember having any trouble in the rain, but then I am very careful in the rain.
Old 6/14/11 | 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I would go with the Conti ExtremeContact DW unless you have to drive in the snow. If you have to drive in the snow your going to want a slimmer tire. Conti ExtremeContact DWS are good for light snow and are great in the rain. You can get them in 245/40 19 and 275/35 19. which are only .5/16" shorter than stock.

Or you can get P-zeros, Mikey (Gary) said they were okay in the cold.

Last edited by MJockey; 6/14/11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 6/15/11 | 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'm probably going to buy some Hankook V12's and just ordered STV PP 19x9 and 19x10 wheels.
I have the V12s on the rear of my 06 and I'm very pleased with them for the price. Very grippy and haven't gotten hard over time like my NT555s did.

The V12s will probably be my first choice for a replacement street tire. Plus they just happen to be offered in the stock sizes.
Old 6/15/11 | 05:44 AM
GT Member

what about the Kuhmo 19 inch tire selection?
Old 6/15/11 | 07:02 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Khumo and hankook are going to be very disappointing. Pretty much cheap tires period. If Toyo or Nitto make them, you will be satisfied. BFG is also a descent option. Michelin still makes the best tire around but pricey. Negative on Goodyear also.
Old 6/19/11 | 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

How good are Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in the wet, as compared to the OEM Pirelli PZero Corsa?
Old 6/19/11 | 10:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Khumo and hankook are going to be very disappointing. Pretty much cheap tires period. If Toyo or Nitto make them, you will be satisfied. BFG is also a descent option. Michelin still makes the best tire around but pricey. Negative on Goodyear also.
so much bad advice..

how many miles do you have on any of these?

beers
Old 6/19/11 | 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Swoope

so much bad advice..

how many miles do you have on any of these?

beers
Buy a good tire for a change and let me know after that. I'll stand by my statement and have quite a few different tire dealers who will back this up. I have used khumo and hankook both and disappointed in both. And I've tried just about every other brands performance tires at least once. It's nice to have a few tire dealers for close friends.
Old 6/20/11 | 01:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Buy a good tire for a change and let me know after that. I'll stand by my statement and have quite a few different tire dealers who will back this up. I have used khumo and hankook both and disappointed in both. And I've tried just about every other brands performance tires at least once. It's nice to have a few tire dealers for close friends.
guess,

the bigger question is what is really needed for the street. and how much are you willing to waste for performance you cant use on the street.

have a set of bridgestone reo 1rs on my track car. i have the set of dunlop star specs that came of of it in the garage.

went through a set of koumo spts they lasted about 40k miles. did two track days with them.. they got real loud at the end of there life.

just got a set of the kooks v12 for my daily driver, and funny.

a rx8 friend of mine who is an instructor for nasa and a few other places just put on a set.

we ended up at the same track day at roebling road. well the tires are much better on track than i expected.. i was just riding, but really..

maybe you do some research. they beat out tires twice the price..

now if money is no object, please pay lots more for less.

wait, here it is.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

they finished second to the star specs.. btw, they are great in the rain. i have way more than tested that.. below 32 deg. cant say, but likely. better that the stock tires mentioned.

maybe post up your last couple sets of tires and a idea of how they did. and if you got a track event on one or two. bonus.

if not you are kinda talking out of your ***! btw, the nitto nt5 on track do about the same as the kook, with half the life, and rain is bad..

beers

Last edited by Swoope; 6/20/11 at 01:42 AM.
Old 6/20/11 | 05:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
I would go with the Conti ExtremeContact DW unless you have to drive in the snow. If you have to drive in the snow your going to want a slimmer tire. Conti ExtremeContact DWS are good for light snow and are great in the rain. You can get them in 245/40 19 and 275/35 19. which are only .5/16" shorter than stock.

Or you can get P-zeros, Mikey (Gary) said they were okay in the cold.
If you have to drive in the snow, Rather than spend $2K on rims and tires, park the Boss and spend $2k on an old pick up truck
Old 6/20/11 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Swoope
guess,

the bigger question is what is really needed for the street. and how much are you willing to waste for performance you cant use on the street.

have a set of bridgestone reo 1rs on my track car. i have the set of dunlop star specs that came of of it in the garage.

went through a set of koumo spts they lasted about 40k miles. did two track days with them.. they got real loud at the end of there life.

just got a set of the kooks v12 for my daily driver, and funny.

a rx8 friend of mine who is an instructor for nasa and a few other places just put on a set.

we ended up at the same track day at roebling road. well the tires are much better on track than i expected.. i was just riding, but really..

maybe you do some research. they beat out tires twice the price..

now if money is no object, please pay lots more for less.

wait, here it is.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

they finished second to the star specs.. btw, they are great in the rain. i have way more than tested that.. below 32 deg. cant say, but likely. better that the stock tires mentioned.

maybe post up your last couple sets of tires and a idea of how they did. and if you got a track event on one or two. bonus.

if not you are kinda talking out of your ***! btw, the nitto nt5 on track do about the same as the kook, with half the life, and rain is bad..

beers
Agreed on the Hankook V12s, these are good tires for the street.
Old 6/20/11 | 02:50 PM

Not meant to offend but bring it on if you must. It's amazing how many people will cheap out on the only thing between your car and the road. Nitto is the cheapest tire that will ever go on the cobra. And once they are spent, they will be upgraded. I don't buy cheap tires,gas,or oil for my car. There is a such thing "you get what you pay for". I've been to the limitations of both hankook and khumo. Never again do I want that feeling to come back. Just my opinions. In no way am I selling anything as fact. FWIW.

Quick Reply: Tires for non-track use