Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Stripes peeling!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/13, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripes peeling!!!!

So washing the boss the other day and noticed 2 spots where my stripes have pieces missing. No real big deal but enough to aggravate me. So i contact my dealer who said sure no problem we will fix/replace them whenever you are ready. I will probably wait a few thousand more miles before having them replaced. My question is do you guys think a real good paint shop, if such a thing exsist anymore, could make painted stripes that would mimic very closely the refectiveness and depth of the viynl thats on the car? I was thinking maybe paint them on instead if it would look right. What do you guys think? Anybody have this done already? Pics? Suggestions?
Old 7/3/13, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have seen several ones done at this shop it would be quite a drive from corpus but still he does a very good job. http://www.barnettpinstriping.com/
Old 7/3/13, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That would probably be a better idea then replacing the stripes with new vinyl. Probably last much longer, and you can clean the painted stripes the same as the rest of your car.
Old 7/3/13, 08:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
That would probably be a better idea then replacing the stripes with new vinyl. Probably last much longer, and you can clean the painted stripes the same as the rest of your car.
Thats my thinking. I was planning on waiting closer to end of warranty if i have the vinyl replaced just to maximize the benifits but the longer i wait may also affect the painting process paint fade and such. I dont know im not a paint and body person an assumption. The end result is that i want these stripes painted on but would love to see a pic or two of one already done. Just afraid that the depth will be lost or i will lose the reflectiveness?
Old 7/3/13, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I am not a paint guy either but I doubt you would lose any of the depth and the reflectiveness might increase if you wax it regularly.
Old 7/3/13, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While painted stripes may last longer & look better in general, I don't think you will get the stripes to be 'reflective' if painted on.
I'm assuming you have a '13 Boss with the reflective stripes vs the gloss '12 style stripes.
Old 7/3/13, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hillbillyred
So washing the boss the other day and noticed 2 spots where my stripes have pieces missing. No real big deal but enough to aggravate me. So i contact my dealer who said sure no problem we will fix/replace them whenever you are ready. I will probably wait a few thousand more miles before having them replaced. My question is do you guys think a real good paint shop, if such a thing exsist anymore, could make painted stripes that would mimic very closely the refectiveness and depth of the viynl thats on the car? I was thinking maybe paint them on instead if it would look right. What do you guys think? Anybody have this done already? Pics? Suggestions?
Same issue up here. But dealers shrug it off. Consider yourself lucky. But if you can afford painted, I say go for it. Won't match the '13's reflectivity though.
Old 7/3/13, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
While painted stripes may last longer & look better in general, I don't think you will get the stripes to be 'reflective' if painted on.
I'm assuming you have a '13 Boss with the reflective stripes vs the gloss '12 style stripes.
Yes its a 13 and thats my thought as well can they add some kind of metallic flake or something to make it reflective? Im gonna have to check with some custom paint shops to see whats possible.
Old 7/3/13, 09:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Same issue up here. But dealers shrug it off. Consider yourself lucky. But if you can afford painted, I say go for it. Won't match the '13's reflectivity though.
Yes my dealer here in corpus is pretty awesome as far as dealers go. They did me pretty good on everything ive needed or asked for within reason of course. They simply told me to give them about a weeks notice to get the stipe kit in and they would replace them no problem. Now my other huge concern is them making it worse or damaging my paint in the process. Hence the thought to possibly find somewhere to just paint them on at somepoint.
Old 7/4/13, 10:31 AM
GT Member

You'd be painting on top of the factory clearcoat. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out in the long run. The bits that make things reflective are little glass beads in the paint. I'm sure there's automotive paint available for this, it's probably $$$.
Old 7/4/13, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mattlqx
You'd be painting on top of the factory clearcoat. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out in the long run. The bits that make things reflective are little glass beads in the paint. I'm sure there's automotive paint available for this, it's probably $$$.
Thats another good point, might have to scuff the area to be painted and then once stripes are painted re-clear entire car?