2012-2013 BOSS 302

So I went car shopping yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/11 | 10:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Arrow So I went car shopping yesterday...

There is a local Ford dealer that I had not visited to discuss a Boss purchase. I checked their inventory online and they had a couple of GT500's and a Kona Blue GT with white stripes. That was enough to get me out the door and between the two cars would provide enough Boss fix to hold me over for a week or two. Anyway the sales guy had a slightly above average knowledge of Mustangs and showed me the cars. When I asked him about ordering a Boss he had no idea of what to do. So we went and talked to the sales manager and she didn't have a clue either. Said the owner would need to be consulted but he wasn't there. So that makes the seventh Ford dealer I've talked to and only one knew what to do and that is the dealer where I placed my order. This six weeks AFTER the order guide was published. Anyway on the the next dealer.

My nine year old son was with me and he wanted to sit in an Aston Martin (good taste for a nine year old ). We stopped by the local Maserati/Ferrari/Aston Martin/Jaguar dealer to see what they had. Only one AM Vantage and it was used. But the Maserati side did have several used Ferrari's on hand including a 2000 360 Modena in Fly Yellow (my fav Ferrari color) with 26K miles priced at $75,000. I sat in the car and my 6'2" frame fit snugly in the track seats with plenty of head room. I continued to talk to the sales guy and fed him plenty of my Ferrari knowledge so he knew I was a car guy and not just some dope looking for a ride. No ride was offered unfortunately. I explained to him that I was looking at the new Mustang Boss 302 and he quickly commented that a Ferrari was way more exclusive than any Mustang. Can't argue with that. I asked him if he knew anything about the new Boss 302 and he admitted he didn't. He was very nice and didn't rag on the Mustang like I expected him too and continued to talk about how the newer Ferrari's need much less maintenance and are relatively affordable to maintain. When my Boss arrives I'll stop by and show him my new car in hopes he'll offer me a ride.

One thing the Mustang has all over the Italian exotic cars is it's ease of entry and visibility of the road. One of the prices you pay to own an Italian sports car I guess.
Old 1/1/11 | 01:10 PM
FR500 Member

Nice. I wonder if the local dealer here would let me sit in the 458 Italia or the Maserati MC 12 on the showroom floor. Doubt it.
Please try to hang in there. Wouldn't want to see you posting about buying a Corvette or Camaro or something like that... to quote another company's ad - "there is no substitute".
Old 1/1/11 | 01:20 PM

No worries, I'm sticking with the Boss. I can't believe a Ford dealer in a major metropolitan area still doesn't have a clue about the Boss. Couldn't hurt to ask to sit in the Italia.

If I was going to spend that much I'd probably go for the Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

Old 1/1/11 | 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

I Googled the 360 Modena for service cost, just for $hit$ and giggles. Here is what I found:
1. An oil change (Every 5000 miles or 1xyear) = $800.00
2. Spark Plug replacement (Average)= $3000 (Yes that number is correct...ugh)
3. Belts every 15000 miles = $4000.
4. And, last but not least, a clutch repair for the 6 speed = $2500, and for the F1 clutch, $6500.00

I love Ferrari's, but think I will stick with my Mustang
Old 1/1/11 | 03:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
This six weeks AFTER the order guide was published. Anyway on the the next dealer.
Not suprising, after all this time you can not go on to ford. com and price and built a Boss. You can check prices on V6, GT and shelby but the Boss is not there. It is suprising all the money they spend on the project yet someone going into the site will not find much info on it.

We did but that is because we are all (Boss) crazy and knew what we were looking for. There were 2 dealers by me that knew about the Boss in advance and how to place an order.
Old 1/1/11 | 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I Googled the 360 Modena for service cost, just for $hit$ and giggles. Here is what I found:
1. An oil change (Every 5000 miles or 1xyear) = $800.00
2. Spark Plug replacement (Average)= $3000 (Yes that number is correct...ugh)
3. Belts every 15000 miles = $4000.
4. And, last but not least, a clutch repair for the 6 speed = $2500, and for the F1 clutch, $6500.00

I love Ferrari's, but think I will stick with my Mustang
Yep, the good news is those maintenance intervals have improved since the 80's. The Boss should provide a similar seat of the pants experience at a fraction of the cost.
Old 1/1/11 | 06:56 PM
NTTAWWT

I always find it sad that one of the selling points of used exotics is "has had latest service"
Old 1/1/11 | 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I always find it sad that one of the selling points of used exotics is "has had latest service"
Oh yeah I heard that on each car he showed me.