2012-2013 BOSS 302

Short Trackey Vid

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/11, 06:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Short Trackey Vid

Here is my experience so far.

I just took three people for rides and some more street driving. So far I do not really see the big increase in engine braking as others reported. One is a local Boss owner and he agreed with me on most of this. He has not been to Miller but has seen several of the PP cars with the old tune and sees the BIG difference especially with the idle, the idle has been completely gutted. I do feel the throttle response being better but that is the only big difference to me (so far).

You get the Trackey active, Track use only message at start-up, then the Trackey Idle Enabled after the 130 seconds just once. The idle is 750 vs. 650 and you can feel it but very different from the Miller cars. I would have to say that one person wrote it "sounds like the engine is about to die" is very close. It is not constant, it has a little shake and once every three second or so the car does one bigger shake. I left the car running as I was talking with the people who came over. They would hear that and say "there it goes" but by the time they would say that the idle would change again and stop shaking. In the Miller car the whole car was shaking and yes it was cool even if I am more interested in other things it does. The Miller car I drove would have shook the camera right off the dash.

I will have to see what it does on track but unless people are tracking the car a lot I do not see this as worthwhile to get. The $500 can be spent better IMHO. I am not expert, I am not Parnelli Jones, Joe Foster and even if my name is Scott, I'm not Scott Maxwell. So take my opinion for what it is worth. Even if the dealer is doing it for free, you need to weight the loss of warranty.

I say this because I know many people want the idle, it would be cool showing off at car shows and the like. If I was not tracking that is exactly why I would want this. If this is the case you will be disappointed.

I will know better after this weekends track run, if at the very least it stops limp mode it will be somewhat worth it for me. I am not a big fan of aftermarket tunes but if someone cracks this and puts the original tune back together I might be very interested in getting one. Maybe it will even add some ponies which would be nice.

Trackey before a high carb diet

http://www.killcarb.org
http://pushback.com/issues/carb/
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/11/11 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11/3/11, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review; definitely doesnt sound like the initial videos posted by Ford.

I saw you canceled with Chin on Sunday? Decided not to run?
Old 11/3/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
Good review; definitely doesnt sound like the initial videos posted by Ford.

I saw you canceled with Chin on Sunday? Decided not to run?
No the car was at the dealer, just got it back today so I did not pay. Henry will let you cancel but not Chin. In any case PB is almost an open run - 2 groups - so I can have time to run both keys and run different sets of tires. I would rather be out on Sebring but time is time and I will get a whole lot more with Henry this weekend. PCA is doing Sebring next week so I will try to make that.

For people asking about the "IDLE" Vs. "ENGINE" car number 6 says this.

Old 11/4/11, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Great write up. Honest post! I think you answered most peoples questions that they would have to fullfill there need with the use of trackey. Wonder if you had trackey removed would your warrenty come back or is it gone for good with your Cash.
Old 11/4/11, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the video. Ford has definitely been forced to waterdown the TK.

Now we need a separate video of your car idling without TK so that we can hear the difference between the two.
Old 11/4/11, 10:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

car number 6 says this.
Low number showoff!
Old 11/4/11, 11:02 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

"Even if the dealer is doing it for free, you need to weight the loss of warranty."

Loss of warranty? I believe Ford is promoting Trackey with full 36 month factory backed warranty.

Scott, the customer sheet mentions that Trackey's lopey idle may sound different if the backing plates on the rocker panel exhausts are removed. What size plates are you currently running on YellowBoss?

Last edited by DFV; 11/4/11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11/4/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DFV
"Even if the dealer is doing it for free, you need to weight the loss of warranty."

Loss of warranty? I believe Ford is promoting Trackey with full 36 month factory backed warranty.

Which is 2 years less warranty if you don't get TK.
Old 11/4/11, 11:14 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Which is 2 years less warranty if you don't get TK.

My understanding is that Trackey itself is warranted, and that by installing it, the rest of the Boss 302's warranty is unaffected, unless it can be proven that Trackey was the reason for the failure.

"When MustangsDaily reached out to Ford to get an explanation for the warranty change, the Ford Racing representative told them, “We’ve done our homework and expect this to be a zero occurrence issue but we have to cover it just in case.”

It is also worth pointing out that the legalize says the installation of the TracKey may shorten the powertrain warranty [from 5 years/60,000 to 3 years/36,000 miles], but it doesn’t automatically shorten the warranty. If an issue were to arise, the dealer techs would evaluate the car on a case-by-case basis and make a determination on whether or not the unique tuning from the TracKey played a role."

Last edited by DFV; 11/4/11 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added Quote from MustangsDaily
Old 11/4/11, 01:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Low number showoff!
Pure luck

The Miller cars had factory discs and sounded great. I have 7/8 plates in and don't see that as the difference at all. The whole idea for me was to tune the sound with the discs not just be loud. Even at idle the 7/8 discs are plenty open to be able to hear the difference since I could on Miller cars with 5/16 size holes.

Originally Posted by DFV
My understanding is that
That says it perfect, your understanding, Ford's understand, the dealer's understanding - who really knows what is correct and what is not? Plus how is Trackey warrantied for 36/36 since I have my car for nine months? Am I getting a 36/36 Trackey warranty from today? (no from last March) That does not add up to 36 months to me? It only adds up to 27 months.

In reality I don't see too many issues popping up with Trackey but I have seen dealers and car manufactures use less to get out of covering a motor replacement. Will Ford do this, I hope not but who knows. If people are not tracking the car is it worth the risk to find out? That is the question everyone will need to ask themselves for a slightly rougher idle. Again my personal opinion but if I was not tracking I would 100% not get this, it will not help you on the street.

Since I do plan on more tracking I when ahead with it. I am not looking for a tenth of a second off time, I am looking to stop things like random codes that forces the car into limp mode surrounded but a lot of fast cars that don't expect to come up on a four cylinder Boss. Maybe it will help with the overheating and other things but unless someone releases what exactly this does it is all guessing right now.

The only thing I can say for sure is the idle is way different then we were told it would be, experiences with PP cars and what we were shown on the Ford Racing vids. Given this you have to wonder what else is different from what we were shown or led to believe. Only time will tell unless they release more info on what Trackey actually does.

I am not trying to rain on any ones parade, just writing what I see and will know more after this weekend. While some here have made fun of people wanting Trackey just for the idle to be like in the vids, I completely understand wanting that. I wish it was even if it does not help on the track.That would sound awesome at a street light or the local cruise night and would be worth the mod for non-trackers! However right now you can get what I have by raising the idle 100 RPMs and pulling one coil pack

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/4/11 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

wow, that is a huge change in idle. it sounds like my custom tune that doesn't have lope. i know everyone keeps saying boss owners expect too much and its TRACK KEY not lope key, but that lumpy idle was a huge part of the big marketing push Ford made for the Boss and to gut it like that and then not say a word about it is not cool at all. they should have at minimum offered up a change log.
Old 11/4/11, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Scott,

What do you have attached on your window?
Old 11/4/11, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Scott,

What do you have attached on your window?
Are you talking about his ultraguage?

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Not bad for $59. I've been using that too

Last edited by Jza1736; 11/4/11 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11/4/11, 05:07 PM
GT Member

very informative post, thank you 2012YellowBoss
Old 11/4/11, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

The Boss is designed to be a track day car .The whole idea behind the track key was to make it a better track car.The track key does make it a better track car.For the average or beginner driver you may never notice .The changes a subtle but effective. For the expert /skilled driver ,you will notice a difference.No codes and better lap times. See for yourself.Go to the track!
Old 11/4/11, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally we were told the idle was modeled on an original Boss one of the engineers had. I had a '69 Cougar that sounded roughly (pun intended) the same. The Trackey idle falls short IMHO. My wife asked what was wrong with the car when I got home tonight. Not what we heard on vids or cars in Detroit. :-(
Old 11/4/11, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Originally we were told the idle was modeled on an original Boss one of the engineers had. I had a '69 Cougar that sounded roughly (pun intended) the same. The Trackey idle falls short IMHO. My wife asked what was wrong with the car when I got home tonight. Not what we heard on vids or cars in Detroit. :-(

It's just too bad Ford has not been forthcoming with the info about TK. What was changed and why. Just poorly done all the way around.
Old 11/5/11, 06:19 AM

Just wondering if the idle gets "better" after a few on/off cylces etc. Similarly to unhooking the battery and the PCM has to relearn certain parameters and settings. Maybe the idle gets closer to the cars at Miller after some driving and on/off cycles.

I believe Ford said nothing was changed before the CARB approval process.

Sure, the idle is gimicky, but I am hoping the other changes are worth the cash. Either way, I like that Ford has pushed the envelope with a very unique system.

I can't wait to get my car back before the weather turns completely.
Old 11/5/11, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jerkstore
Just wondering if the idle gets "better" after a few on/off cylces etc. Similarly to unhooking the battery and the PCM has to relearn certain parameters and settings. .
Nope cycled mine plenty
Maybe the idle gets closer to the cars at Miller after some driving and on/off cycles.
Just spent 3+ hours on the track no change.
I believe Ford said nothing was changed before the CARB approval process
Wishful thinking, but the vids speak for themselves.

As for today, not much good news - P0300 codes Yes - but no limp mode. I have had the car throw codes before and not go into limp mode so who knows if TK even helped, I don't at this point.

Did not see any noticeable engine braking, I did on the new F150 in tow/haul mode on the way to the track. Really nice setup on the new 150 with the 5.0 Surprised CARB did not gut that too

The only change I can tell is a little better throttle response and part of that is because I never ran in the cold dry air before (it was very cold this morning @ 55). It was not enough IMHO to even make a difference, if it were I was expecting to be loose by getting into early. I have a habit of doing that and did it today like always, the car did not act much different. I have very limited time tracking so maybe others with much more time can tell you something different. I do have at least 11-12 days in the Boss. One of those days was at Miller but it is hard to tell you the real difference in my car vs. the Miller cars since I am use to driving at sea level and the altitude Miller is at makes the car lose many ponies.

I did not keep a real close eye on temps but did the highest was 226, I believe the lower temps then I was running before is because I am now using a modified grille like in the Boss 302S.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/5/11 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11/5/11, 05:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Nope cycled mine plenty

Just spent 3+ hours on the track no change.
Wishful thinking, but the vids speak for themselves.

As for today, not much good news - P0300 codes Yes - but no limp mode. I have had the car throw codes before and not go into limp mode so who knows if TK even helped, I don't at this point.

Did not see any noticeable engine braking, I did on the new F150 in tow/haul mode on the way to the track. Really nice setup on the new 150 with the 5.0 Surprised CARB did not gut that too

The only change I can tell is a little better throttle response and part of that is because I never ran in the cold dry air before (it was very cold this morning @ 55). It was not enough IMHO to even make a difference, if it were I was expecting to be loose by getting into early. I have a habit of doing that and did it today like always, the car did not act much different. I have very limited time tracking so maybe others with much more time can tell you something different. I do have at least 11-12 days in the Boss. One of those days was at Miller but it is hard to tell you the real difference in my car vs. the Miller cars since I am use to driving at sea level and the altitude Miller is at makes the car lose many ponies.
I'm glad to see you got everything sorted out today. I spent 4 hours at the dealer but TK is installed. My lopey idle is noticeable but not the same as the MMP cars. Mine is more noticeable when the engine is hot and while driving around town at stop lights. It easily shakes my car.

Quick Reply: Short Trackey Vid