Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Short throw Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/12, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short throw Shifters

On the surface these would seem like a good idea. However, I see some "complaints" on the Internet about vibration, noise and diffuclty shifting into reverse.
What are the pros and cons for intalling one of these units. I see Barton as one brand commonly used. Does anyone have any expereince with these and is there any reason not to put one in on a daily driver?
Thanks
Old 7/24/12, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just had the MGW shifter installed @ two weeks ago. Worth it.....probably the sinlge best upgrade I've done to one of my vehicles in a long time. The complaint I've seen regarding the MGW is the stiffness of the shifter when it's brand new. After a couple hundred miles....it's loosening up just like they said it would. Reverse...it takes only slightly more effort than stock. The overall feel is great....much more notchy than the factory unit....which I found to be very rubbery. I have much more confidence that I'll get into the right gear when I'm rowing through them.

I haven't noticed any additional vibration.....no added heat...but I also did the extra heat shield.

I'm more than satisfied with my MGW....can't ever imagine going back to the stock shifter. My Boss is a daily / casual driver....not a dedicated track machine.

Wayne
Old 7/24/12, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a steeda and I am VERY happy with it, no more noise in the shifter other then when I move it left to right in neutral, and thats just a small tap. Reverse IS a little harder but the drivability, shifting and WOT shifting WAAAAAAAAAAAY outweighs the TINY amount pressure I have to add, after the second day I dont even notice that I try any harder at this point. For as small as it was, outside of a tune this is the best money I have spent on this car.
Old 7/24/12, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

look at the units, the MGW is alot more than a bolt on shorty shifter....... Love my MGW would never go back
Old 7/24/12, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senderofan
...Reverse...it takes only slightly more effort than stock.
After a couple weeks in my '12, I think a little more effort for reverse might be good. I'll be there with almost no downward pressure if I'm not paying attention. And that can be embarrassing.
Old 7/24/12, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
look at the units, the MGW is alot more than a bolt on shorty shifter....... Love my MGW would never go back
I guess that answers my question! Thanks everyone. Looks like an easy install as well.
Old 7/24/12, 07:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Twins
I guess that answers my question! Thanks everyone. Looks like an easy install as well.
Yes...as long as you have a way to get under the vehicle...ie have a lift. Some folks do it with the vehicle on jack stands....I'm too chicken to try that one.

Good Luck....I really think the lower shift unit that MGW developed really helps give a solid feel when shifting.

Wayne
Old 7/24/12, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I daily drive mine with the Barton and new 2 post bracket and love it. The new bracket is similar to MGWs base but still uses the stock base.
Old 7/24/12, 08:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
I daily drive mine with the Barton and new 2 post bracket and love it. The new bracket is similar to MGWs base but still uses the stock base.
My theory is that over 50% of the improvement from the MGW comes from the design of their shifter bracket. So adding the Barton post bracket is probably a good place to start.
Old 7/24/12, 11:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
My theory is that over 50% of the improvement from the MGW comes from the design of their shifter bracket. So adding the Barton post bracket is probably a good place to start.
I agree. It's a simple and affordable mod to install and he can always upgrade to the shifter later.
Old 7/25/12, 07:14 AM
GT Member

I watched the video on the intall well into the evening last night. Much more interesting then watching crappy sitcoms! Anyway, other than having no access to a lift (I do have jack stands) I should be able to handle this one.
Now, while I'm under the car maybe its time to consider putting in those electric cutouts..................
Old 7/25/12, 08:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I watched the video on the intall well into the evening last night. Much more interesting then watching crappy sitcoms! Anyway, other than having no access to a lift (I do have jack stands) I should be able to handle this one.
Now, while I'm under the car maybe its time to consider putting in those electric cutouts..................
I installed my Steeda shifter bracket using my 10" Race Ramps with plenty of room. I'll be using the same to install my MGW shifter in a couple of weeks once it arrives. My Steeda bracket will be for sale shortly.
Old 7/25/12, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Exactly what he said. I used ramps on the front and jack stands on the rear. If all your doing is the bracket then it's easy. Socket wrench, 10" extension, and I believe a 10mm deep wall socket and you're good to go.
Old 7/25/12, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Hardest part is breaking the ball loose to remove it.
Old 7/25/12, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had the MGW shifter in the car for a week or so...and I really like it. it is very firm and 'notchy' but in a good way. local shop installed it in 1.5 hrs with a lift...was thinking of doing it myself but decided to have the shop do it...so I can't comment on ease of install.
Old 7/25/12, 01:56 PM
GT Member

thanks again everyone. If anyone is thinking about and MGW call now as they are backed up with about 50 orders for this particular shifter. Hopefully, this will not cause them to rush the product!
Anyway, it's about a month wait right now.
While I wait I think I'm going to stop by a local gas station shop where the mechanic has been pretty good to me. I'm going to see if he will let me use his lift - which I will pay him something for. I could have him do the install but by the time he watches the videos etc. I might as well do it myself with him as backup if he will go for it.
Old 7/25/12, 02:28 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Definitely worth the wait. Not to say the competition doesn't make great products but MGW seems to always excel.
Old 7/26/12, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

its deff worth the wait. and the electric cutouts work well, although i never seem to close them ........
Old 7/26/12, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
its deff worth the wait. and the electric cutouts work well, although i never seem to close them ........
I figure I'll be too lazy to take the plates in and out so if I'm going to enjoy the side exhaust this would be one way to do it. Any problem with the install? I have someone who can help me who has rebuilt motors and transmissions so he can probably handle anything I can throw at him.
Old 7/26/12, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I figure I'll be too lazy to take the plates in and out so if I'm going to enjoy the side exhaust this would be one way to do it. Any problem with the install? I have someone who can help me who has rebuilt motors and transmissions so he can probably handle anything I can throw at him.
VERY VERY simple use your acc. power in center consel for power, i hid the switch on a small removable plastic peice inside the center counsel storage..... so theres nothing to see and i can get a spare peice for a few dollars to cover the whole back up later