Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Serious Fuel Supply Issue

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/11, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, 3M black vinyl film that looks like carbon fibre. Sorry guys I hated the white roof.
Old 6/17/11, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

god that is absolutely gorgeous. that is my absolute favorite color on all Bosses, and the roof looks great with the 3m vinyl.
Old 6/17/11, 04:23 PM

Thanks I appreciate your comments. I thought about painting it but this way I can always change it back to stock. It was alot less money than painting and I had it in the shop to put on the 3M clear film on the front anyway.
Old 6/17/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuck
Thanks I appreciate your comments. I thought about painting it but this way I can always change it back to stock. It was alot less money than painting and I had it in the shop to put on the 3M clear film on the front anyway.
I wanted to wrap mine but there was no way to get even close to the yellow blaze so I had it painted.
Old 6/17/11, 05:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Canuck, which track were you running? I had some stumble issues myself and assumed I had somehow missed a shift or bumped off the limiter without realizing it.

Signed a fellow KB Canuck.
Old 6/17/11, 06:14 PM
GT Member

we have the issue with the rx8. always in or just after a long hard left hander, it is started by the fuel moving away from the pump. some have issues at 1/4 tank and i have had it happen as high as 3/4 tank,

over the years some of us have figured out that when on track the pump is running on full speed all the time. which heats the pump up. combine that with some people like me that used to run the tank way down before fill up.. not good for the pump! dont do this! it really overheats the pump.. add those two things together and this is the symptom you get. hot pump that is weak cant keep up and will not siphon the fuel from the other side of the tank

what a lot of us did was upgrade to a wallbro pump that pumps more. and i stopped running the tank dry. dont have the issue until below 1/4 tank now. and i dont run it that low anymore..

last time i ran sebring it happened in my last session.. scared the crap out of my instructor.

what does this mean for the boss, i wonder how similar our pump assemblies are? possible you might just have a weak pump in a new car.. also the vent comment is very plausible, but i would think that would just shut the car down.

am following this with much interest!

btw, is the pump under the drivers side rear seat?

beers
Old 6/17/11, 06:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
First pics of a KB out there nice some of the best shots of have seen of that color.
I agree. Too bad we can't download them.
Old 6/17/11, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I downloaded 'em. Gotta love iPhones.
Old 6/17/11, 07:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
fuel pump

Originally Posted by Swoope
we have the issue with the rx8. always in or just after a long hard left hander, it is started by the fuel moving away from the pump. some have issues at 1/4 tank and i have had it happen as high as 3/4 tank,

over the years some of us have figured out that when on track the pump is running on full speed all the time. which heats the pump up. combine that with some people like me that used to run the tank way down before fill up.. not good for the pump! dont do this! it really overheats the pump.. add those two things together and this is the symptom you get. hot pump that is weak cant keep up and will not siphon the fuel from the other side of the tank

what a lot of us did was upgrade to a wallbro pump that pumps more. and i stopped running the tank dry. dont have the issue until below 1/4 tank now. and i dont run it that low anymore..

last time i ran sebring it happened in my last session.. scared the crap out of my instructor.

what does this mean for the boss, i wonder how similar our pump assemblies are? possible you might just have a weak pump in a new car.. also the vent comment is very plausible, but i would think that would just shut the car down.

am following this with much interest!
Interesting post.
When I started reading this thread, the first thing that came to mind was, "Would a more powerful fuel pump solve this problem?".
Old 6/17/11, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=Fenderaddict2;6092333]Hey Canuck, which track were you running? I had some stumble issues myself and assumed I had somehow missed a shift or bumped off the limiter without realizing it.

My local track is Race City in Calgary and I have no issues with the car. The track that I experienced issues at is called Stratotech just outside Edmonton. Very technical track with lots of tight corners. A torture test for tires and brakes and I guess also fuel systems.
Old 6/17/11, 11:17 PM
V6 Member

The 2011 Mustang v6 and v8 had a TSB for a fuel gauge problem. In that TSB there was some interesting information on the pump and tank design. Here is a bit from that TSB. I assume the system is the same for 2012. For what it is worth.....

"Mustang has a saddle type fuel tank in that there is a hump in the middle of the fuel tank for the driveshaft.
There is one electric pump and fuel level sensor (FL-1) on the LH (driver side) of the fuel tank, this is the FPM.
There is a fuel pick up and fuel level sensor (FL-2) on the RH (passenger side) of the fuel tank.
The system draws fuel first from the RH side of the tank. The FPM siphons fuel from the RH side of the tank via the fuel pick up. Once the fuel level on the RH is too low to siphon fuel, there are check valves that close and the fuel will now be drawn from the LH side of the tank via the FPM."
Old 6/17/11, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll google map 'em. Love to see track layouts people are running.
Old 6/17/11, 11:48 PM

Here is a link to the Stratotech track map.

http://www.stratotech.ca/park_facility/track_layout.pdf

I experienced problems after corner 1, corner 2 and corner 7.

We run the track counter clockwise without the "Eddies"
Old 6/17/11, 11:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Canuck
Did you do a complete front 3M, I was told that the bumper is not nessary?
Old 6/18/11, 02:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
The 2011 Mustang v6 and v8 had a TSB for a fuel gauge problem. In that TSB there was some interesting information on the pump and tank design. Here is a bit from that TSB. I assume the system is the same for 2012. For what it is worth.....

"Mustang has a saddle type fuel tank in that there is a hump in the middle of the fuel tank for the driveshaft.
There is one electric pump and fuel level sensor (FL-1) on the LH (driver side) of the fuel tank, this is the FPM.
There is a fuel pick up and fuel level sensor (FL-2) on the RH (passenger side) of the fuel tank.
The system draws fuel first from the RH side of the tank. The FPM siphons fuel from the RH side of the tank via the fuel pick up. Once the fuel level on the RH is too low to siphon fuel, there are check valves that close and the fuel will now be drawn from the LH side of the tank via the FPM."
sounds just like my tank setup.

following the thread, Canuck did you have any issues with a flashing cel which is code for a random missfire?

beers
Old 6/18/11, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by LQQK
Why is that? I'm going to do my front bumper.
Old 6/18/11, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the same issue last night drag racing on 1/4 mile track. I had left traction control and stablitly control on. Towards the last part of the 1st run, doing over 100mph, the car felt like it ran out of fuel. I did not hit the rev limiter (on that run anyways!). I had about 1/4 tank of fuel. For the next run I shut off traction control and stablity control. Problem solved for the rest of the night. On that first run I did spin and wheel hop on take off and 2nd gear shift. I did not feel any slipping after that. I am thinking that maybe stability control kicked in at the end. Later that night I did hit the rev limiter once or twice and it was not the same as my first run issue. Canuck, did you have traction control and stablitly control shut off? oh, the best I could do with my Boss is 12.9. @ 111 mph. I am not very good at the start. Another Boss there did 12.6.
Old 6/18/11, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ran the Boss at Sebring today, 18 turns. Had it below 1/2 twice and the last session it said 11 miles to empty, so it had abot 2.2 gallons in it. Ran perfect, now if I can only figure out the shifting thing.

First chip I took was the front bumper cover while on the trailer.
Old 6/18/11, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

[QUOTE=Canuck;6092473]
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Hey Canuck, which track were you running? I had some stumble issues myself and assumed I had somehow missed a shift or bumped off the limiter without realizing it.

My local track is Race City in Calgary and I have no issues with the car. The track that I experienced issues at is called Stratotech just outside Edmonton. Very technical track with lots of tight corners. A torture test for tires and brakes and I guess also fuel systems.
Did you buy your car from Advantage Ford as think i met you one day in the service bay?

I would love to bring my GT500 out for a track day and was wondering when the next one is?
Old 6/19/11, 10:28 AM

I put 3M film on all of my cars including the bumper. In the city I live in they put small aggregate (gravel) on the roads in the winter. The city never seems to be able to clean the roads completely prior to the summer driving season. In fact I think Calgary is the windshield replacement capital of Canada. There are glass shops everywhere.

Quick Reply: Serious Fuel Supply Issue