Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Retractable license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/11, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retractable license plate bracket

Anybody here have any experience or knowledge about the legality or illegality concerning the retractable license plate brackets? I don't mean the remote controlled model, the standard $50 model. Thanks.
Old 12/11/11, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I have one .Have not installed it yet.But I know someone who has it and really likes it.
Old 12/11/11, 07:59 PM

I have had one on my Boss since June. Sometimes I fold it down. Sometimes I have it up. It's just nice not to have that big front license plate bracket screwed into the bumper. I can't speak to whether these are officially legal. I would guess it would vary from state to state. But I would think as long as the plate is showing, it would be okay.
Old 12/11/11, 08:01 PM
GT Member

What the H--- is a retactable License Plate bracket?
It sounds very James Bond, .... and I'm suddnely very interested.
We have a LOT of cameras where I drive.
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 12/11/11, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

This is the manual 1. I have the electronic with remote but Im scared to put it on. I scrape my LS splitter every once in awhile and I feel the bracket will tear right off
Old 12/11/11, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The reason I posted about the bracket is because I have one and have had it on most of the time I own my Boss which is since March and the this morning I was issued a summons by what can only be described as a S...BAG state trooper. The exact wording on the summons was "NO DISTINCTIVE PLATE/INSECURE-INSECURELY MOUNTED". The bracket is securely mounted with screws and the plate was in the upright and viewable position. This trooper had at one time seven cars pulled over as we were leaving the parking lot of a cars and coffee meet which takes place just about every Sunday here on Long Island, NY. To my knowledge these types of bracket are legal or so I thought, so I thought I would ask if anyone here knows anything different in case I missed something. Any law enforcement types on here that may have any professional knowledge?
Old 12/11/11, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Will those stay on when folded down during a track day?
I've got this one, which also prevents drilling the front bumper.
http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/index.html
Works ok, but if you want to install and remove it often, the lock washers tend to gouge into the aluminum, making it difficult to tighten and loosen the wing nuts. I'm trying longer stainless screws and stainless flat washers to see if I can make it easier to install and remove. If not, I may drill 2 holes into the black fascia (horizontal piece of plastic so not visible) to make it easier to install/remove.
Mine works on track days. Forgot to take it off the last time. It stayed on at 115 mph at MAM on the first session, so figured it could stay the whole day.
Old 12/11/11, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by orng302
The reason I posted about the bracket is because I have one and have had it on most of the time I own my Boss which is since March and the this morning I was issued a summons by what can only be described as a S...BAG state trooper. The exact wording on the summons was "NO DISTINCTIVE PLATE/INSECURE-INSECURELY MOUNTED". The bracket is securely mounted with screws and the plate was in the upright and viewable position. This trooper had at one time seven cars pulled over as we were leaving the parking lot of a cars and coffee meet which takes place just about every Sunday here on Long Island, NY. To my knowledge these types of bracket are legal or so I thought, so I thought I would ask if anyone here knows anything different in case I missed something. Any law enforcement types on here that may have any professional knowledge?
Not sure of the legality of it. But I would fight it, bring pics! Good luck

Where and when do you guys meet? My cars away for the winter but maybe next year
Old 12/11/11, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I originally had the Craig's unit but I liked the retractable one more. As far as tracking a car with this bracket, I would not do it. You might not have a problem as long as you stay on the track surface but if you happen to go off-track for any reason it will most surely get ripped off as there is not much clearance to the ground and that is on the regular Boss, forget about the LS. I have to be careful just backing out of my driveway so you can imagine the concerns being on track would bring.
Old 12/11/11, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Oak Beach and Captree, depending on the season. I am definitely fighting it. Thanks.
Old 12/11/11, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're saying he's a "S...bag" (what's an s...bag?) for doing his job and you're asking for opinions from "law enforcement types". Don't you mean s...bag types? Unless you're making minimum wage, it doesn't make sense to fight it.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 12/11/11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12/11/11, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

If you were there to see his attitude towards those of us that were just out and enjoying our cars you would understand why I would feel the way I do and it is not just because he is doing his job. I have been pulled over by troopers in the same location and asked to show them how my bracket works and not been issued a summons and in fact one trooper went so far as to say that I did not do anything wrong he just wanted to know how it worked. If I gave the impression that all state troopers/ law enforcement are scumbags that was not my intention, my description was for this individual. Btw, there are scumbag types in all walks of life and professions, law enforcement included.
Old 12/12/11, 03:31 AM
V6 Member

If I gave the impression that all state troopers/ law enforcement are scumbags that was not my intention...
Well, not all NYS troopers are scumbags - just many of them. Perhaps even most of them. I haven't lived in NY for a while and have no intention of returning, so it's hard for me to say.

The one you ran into was most certainly a scumbag. Basically a revenue collection agent with an attitude looking for an excuse to ruin your day. "Doing his job"... yeah okay.

Despite my bitterness over the demise of my native and once great state of New York, you mentioning Oak Beach and Captree brings back some very fond memories. That area is one of the most beautiful in the nation.

Is the Oak Beach Inn still happening?
Old 12/12/11, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

www.Americanmuscle.com for the folding plate bracket.
Old 12/12/11, 06:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Was your plate hidden at the time? Plate needs to be visible at all times. If it was showing you should be able to beat the ticket very easily. Best reason for having a hidden plate is to say you take your car to car shows.
Old 12/12/11, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

No the Oak Beach Inn has been closed for some years now. The area is beautiful for sure. As to the position of the plate when I was pulled over it was upright and visible. A friend of mine with a Shelby and the same bracket was given two tickets yesterday by this guy as well, the second ticket was for the bottom of the plate measuring four inches from the ground. Apparently it is supposed to be twelve inches from the ground.
Old 12/12/11, 08:32 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SD GT
Will those stay on when folded down during a track day?
I've got this one, which also prevents drilling the front bumper.
http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/index.html
Works ok, but if you want to install and remove it often, the lock washers tend to gouge into the aluminum, making it difficult to tighten and loosen the wing nuts. I'm trying longer stainless screws and stainless flat washers to see if I can make it easier to install and remove. If not, I may drill 2 holes into the black fascia (horizontal piece of plastic so not visible) to make it easier to install/remove.
Mine works on track days. Forgot to take it off the last time. It stayed on at 115 mph at MAM on the first session, so figured it could stay the whole day.
Have the same one on mine and it has held up 130MPH+ on the autobahn a few time!