Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Readying Stock Boss for Laps at Track

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/11, 07:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SD GT
If I can look good, others may assume I can drive good.
Hey wait, my entire approach toward tracking is based on that theory.

Thought I was the only one
Old 9/21/11, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

Rule #1: Always look cool

Rule #2: If you are wrong for whatever reason refer to rule #1.....
Old 9/21/11, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Apollo
By the way, if you set it in sport mode, (foot on brake, tap twice)the steering automatically goes to sport setting too.
Hey, I learned something new. After taking the Boss off jack stands tonight, I gave this a test. Put steering in Comfort mode (not that I'd ever get caught dead with the Boss in that mode). Pushed brake, and tapped button twice. Steering mode said "Sport<Locked>". Turned AdvanceTrack back on, then manually set steering to Sport.
Old 9/21/11, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

You blew it now, the secret is out
Old 9/21/11, 09:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You blew it now, the secret is out
Screw it, taking the stickers off my helmet, trading in the new F150 with SYNC for an 08, replacing the custom built trailer for a 16 foot tilt back with a wood floor and going to actually learn to drive then
Old 9/21/11, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Screw it, taking the stickers off my helmet, trading in the new F150 with SYNC for an 08, replacing the custom built trailer for a 16 foot tilt back with a wood floor and going to actually learn to drive then
Set the Trackey down, and slowly step away . . .

I'm taking my daughter to the shrink next week. Need to come along? Better yet, I'll be in the town where that '08 F150 and 16' wood deck tilt trailer are--maybe I'll buy them just to throw a wrench in your plan!

Last edited by SD GT; 9/21/11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 9/22/11, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set the Trackey down, and slowly step away . . .

I'm taking my daughter to the shrink next week. Need to come along? Better yet, I'll be in the town where that '08 F150 and 16' wood deck tilt trailer are--maybe I'll buy them just to throw a wrench in your plan!
My dealer offered me top dollar for trade on the Ecoboost. Since he'll be there too, maybe we should just have an auction

Last edited by cloud9; 9/22/11 at 05:17 AM.
Old 9/22/11, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Back on topic -- jouster, have a great time Friday on the track with your Boss.
Give us a report when you get back.
Old 9/22/11, 09:41 PM
GT Member

Back on topic -- jouster, have a great time Friday on the track with your Boss.
Give us a report when you get back.
Will Do!
Weather is looking Supurb for lapping runs at the track Friday. Clear & 84F.
Have international guests arriving Friday PM and Concert to go to, and moving office to new location 8 AM Saturday, so any track report may be delayed.
Thanks for all the tips. I've done what I can with the car for tomorrow. The rest will get done when the car is parked for Winter.
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 9/27/11, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Well guys, thanks again for all the good tips on getting the Boss ready for tracking.
Here's a quick report on how my tracking experience went.
After reading all the preparation tips, I did all I could with the limited time I had, and things worked out well.
For example I was told to set the cold tire pressure at 34 lbs in the front, and 33 lbs in the rear.
Sure enough, after 20 minutes of fast tracking, the hot tires tested 41 lbs in the front and 40 in the rear. Bonus!
Weather was supurb, turnout was unusually high, and the Boss didn't let me down.
It went where I pointed it, was forgiving at high speeds when I entered a turn too fast and had to break and crank it around aggressively. It was very fast on the long straight away compared to most cars out there, some of them costing more than twice as much as the Boss.
So in summation, it was fast, fun, tiring, rewarding, humilating, exilariting and taught me a lot about what that car is capable of doing, especially in the turns.
I was surprised at how much tire and break wear I expereinced, and how really hot (not the engine coolant), but how hot the whole car, breaks, tires, engine compartment and interior got as the afternoon went on.
Overall, it was quite an experience, and one I hope to repeat next summer again.
Here's a little reward for those who provided the tips and read this thread.
Just click on the link.
I think you'll like this,...
Cheers,
Jouster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDP7Pty8Qnw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by jouster; 9/27/11 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add on
Old 9/27/11, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

Hey, I learned something new. After taking the Boss off jack stands tonight, I gave this a test. Put steering in Comfort mode (not that I'd ever get caught dead with the Boss in that mode). Pushed brake, and tapped button twice. Steering mode said "Sport<Locked>". Turned AdvanceTrack back on, then manually set steering to Sport.
Old 9/27/11, 10:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jouster
Well guys, thanks again for all the good tips on getting the Boss ready for tracking.
Here's a quick report on how my tracking experience went.
After reading all the preparation tips, I did all I could with the limited time I had, and things worked out well.
For example I was told to set the cold tire pressure at 34 lbs in the front, and 33 lbs in the rear.
Sure enough, after 20 minutes of fast tracking, the hot tires tested 41 lbs in the front and 40 in the rear. Bonus!
Weather was supurb, turnout was unusually high, and the Boss didn't let me down.
It went where I pointed it, was forgiving at high speeds when I entered a turn too fast and had to break and crank it around aggressively. It was very fast on the long straight away compared to most cars out there, some of them costing more than twice as much as the Boss.
So in summation, it was fast, fun, tiring, rewarding, humilating, exilariting and taught me a lot about what that car is capable of doing, especially in the turns.
I was surprised at how much tire and break wear I expereinced, and how really hot (not the engine coolant), but how hot the whole car, breaks, tires, engine compartment and interior got as the afternoon went on.
Overall, it was quite an experience, and one I hope to repeat next summer again.
Very Cool. The Boss is really incredible!