2012-2013 BOSS 302

Readying Stock Boss for Laps at Track

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/11, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
What about stainless steel brake lines?
I don't have them and from what I understand they really change the feel of the pedal and the way the brakes preform. Might not be the best idea for someone new It may be better to feel the brakes more with the stock setup and add them later as you learn more.

The more advanced guys could chime in here but I have found the stock setup works well out of the box.
Old 9/20/11, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to tracking & I did the dot 4 fluid and SS brake lines first day. Love the stopping power this car has. pads & rotor upgrade next year along with Castor Camber plates.
Old 9/20/11, 05:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
New to tracking & I did the dot 4 fluid and SS brake lines first day. Love the stopping power this car has. pads & rotor upgrade next year along with Castor Camber plates.
Cool, something I may need to consider myself. I think they said the Miller cars had them but I am not certain.
Old 9/20/11, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I know and thought about that when I was adding the comment, that is why I added the (sort of). I was going to add a wisea$$ comment like only someone addicted would travel that far for a track but I think I have abused my wisea$$ comments for this month
Scott, great bantering--was easy to see (and hopefully mine was too). If we're not having fun, we're doing something wrong. Hey, we've got a never-ending trackey thread that is entertaining. And now a video.
Its all good.

OK, I'm a Boss owner, and I'm a track addict.
Old 9/20/11, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

If you are new, leave the stability control on for the first run or two. After you are comfortable you can put it into sport mode.

The Boss is very well setup for the track as is. Like Wayne said after you get addicted you can look into other things like camber plates, track wheels etc. for now have fun
This is no joke. By the way, if you set it in sport mode, (foot on brake, tap twice)the steering automatically goes to sport setting too.
Old 9/21/11, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you all, i am taking notes.
Old 9/21/11, 08:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

In prepping for my first track day I've done the following:

1. Install the front brake cooling kit.
2. Install DOT 4 brake fluid.
3. Install the transmission cooling scoop.
4. Attend Track Attack at MMP.
5. Studying map of track and "the line".
6. Getting ready to have some fun this weekend!
Old 9/21/11, 09:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, if you're going to track it regularly.
Old 9/21/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Sticky?

Would be great to have the moderators make a sticky thread for track mods.
Gary and other experienced track junkies could compile a mods list in priority order from stock Boss to advanced.
I'd suggest something like this:

Beginner/light tracking:
helmet, leave Boss stock and have fun

Next level:
track pads, DOT4 or better fluid, tranny cooler, oil catch can

Then:
brake cooling kit, remove grill/drill fog lights out, camber plates, stainless brake lines

Then:
dedicated track rims/tires, LS front/rear spoilers, trailer, towing pickup, garage with lift, a VERY understanding spouse (wait, that needs to be step one), etc, etc.

Last edited by SD GT; 9/21/11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 9/21/11, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
In prepping for my first track day I've done the following:

1. Install the front brake cooling kit.
2. Install DOT 4 brake fluid.
3. Install the transmission cooling scoop.
4. Attend Track Attack at MMP.
5. Studying map of track and "the line".
6. Getting ready to have some fun this weekend!
Excellent! Running on the Pirelli's? Have a blast!
Old 9/21/11, 10:31 AM

Ufortunately I don't think drilling out the fake fog lamps helps any.
Old 9/21/11, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Excellent! Running on the Pirelli's? Have a blast!
Yes for my first day. I want to see what they feel like before buying the Hankook V12's. I know the Michelin PS2's on the cars at MMP felt good and predictable at the limits.
Old 9/21/11, 11:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Yep, if you're going to track it regularly.
Gary, would you recommend them to a newbie? I know when I started I was very inconsistent on the brakes and many times I missed braking points and had to get on them hard. I am just starting to be smoother after several tracks days out there. This is why I was thinking the low-compression hoses might be better for the first timers, even if they plan regular days later. Is that wrong advise?
Old 9/21/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Just like Cloud9 said......if you track regularly. It sounded like the OP was just looking to do one day (after that we all know he will be hooked ).

The things I mentioned to do to the car I believe are a must for a tracked Boss' for safety reasons. The car is fast enough stock for 90% of the owners out there. If you noticed the things I mentioned are mostly for the brakes, and they are relatively inexpensive. It is common knowledge the stock brake setup is not up to the task. The OP also stated the ambient temp is supposed to be 70 so that is why I didn't mention anything extra for cooling.
Old 9/21/11, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Rick,
True based on recent tests.
But it still looks cool!
Old 9/21/11, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Talking

Originally Posted by adam81
Just like Cloud9 said......if you track regularly. It sounded like the OP was just looking to do one day (after that we all know he will be hooked ).

The things I mentioned to do to the car I believe are a must for a tracked Boss' for safety reasons. The car is fast enough stock for 90% of the owners out there. If you noticed the things I mentioned are mostly for the brakes, and they are relatively inexpensive. It is common knowledge the stock brake setup is not up to the task. The OP also stated the ambient temp is supposed to be 70 so that is why I didn't mention anything extra for cooling.

Just got a temperature update for Track Day on Friday, it's going up to 84F, ........ and nobody's mentioned need the Bud Light and Clamato Chelada's for the post-track cool down?
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 9/21/11, 02:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gary, would you recommend them to a newbie? I know when I started I was very inconsistent on the brakes and many times I missed braking points and had to get on them hard. I am just starting to be smoother after several tracks days out there. This is why I was thinking the low-compression hoses might be better for the first timers, even if they plan regular days later. Is that wrong advise?
Personally I changed mine before my first track event, but I knew I'd be doing a lot of track days in the Boss. For the first few times out and a novice driver, it's not necessary. However, I've driven a Boss without them on track and to me I didn't like the "feel". For someone who's never driven on track, they probably wouldn't notice.
Old 9/21/11, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
Rick,
True based on recent tests.
But it still looks cool!
At least you can look cool in your overheated Boss
Old 9/21/11, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

If I can look good, others may assume I can drive good.
Old 9/21/11, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jouster
Hi Guys, Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice.
I got home late tonight, but went right to setting the car up as suggested.
Set Steering for Sport, set Shocks, and set tire pressure.
I don't have 2000 miles on it yet, but I think an oil change would be a great idea, and I'll try to get the Dot4 fluid put in and Break Dust covers removed.
Not sure I can get my hands on a 2 pairs of Hawk HT10 pads by Friday, but will try.
That's probably all I can get done before doing Lapping runs on Friday, ...
Just so you all know, this Friday will probably be the only time I will be able to get on a track before the snow flies. This opportunity came as part of a half day course in Advanced Track driving. I expect to only get 3, maybe 4 at best 20 minute runs in on the Track. Outside Temperature on Friday will probably be no more than 70F, so other than the brakes, cooling should not be an issue.
I've got the owner of the school, who's driven Formual 1 cars competively, coming for a few laps to help me sort the car out.
And it's a good thing too, because there's a long straight-a-way that well might test the Speed Limiter out,.... one can only hope!
Cheers,
Jouter
Jouster,

I am glad to hear of a fellow Canuck that will tracking their Boss in Calgary. I ran a complete season of time attack this year in my Boss and had a blast!!! The Corvette owners especially could not believe how fast this car was. The only car in my class that beat me this year was a newer 911 Carrera S with a very experienced driver. I did a quick check on the Porsche Canada website and a new 911 Carrera S is $105,000 before options and taxes. Boss 302 FTW.

Have you run at Race City before?

I have alot of experience at this track in various cars so I might be able to give you some tips.

Just for reference, by the end of the season I was consistently lapping in the 1:28's on the stock wornout Pirelli's

You won't have to worry about the speed limiter on the front straight, if you run hard you should see about 220 km/h but remember to slow down before corner 1.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Readying Stock Boss for Laps at Track