Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Pirelli tire failure on the road

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/12, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tracked the crap out of my stock tires. i put 4 track days, a night at the drag strip, 10k street miles, and some autox on them and they looked better when i replaced them than the OPs tires. those tires look like they were old and weather cracked, it reminds me of tires on a car that has sat around for a long time. i may be wrong, i still say those are old tires not the fresh ones the car should have come with.
Old 1/29/12, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
The only experience I have with these tires are daily driving and the only complaint I have for now is how noisy the tires have become. They do handle very well as a daily driver but do not plan to buy again.
Do you happen know why the tires have become noisey?
Flat spots are one thing, but I hope it's not internal delamination?
Yikes!
Perhaps spome of the more knowledgeable tire guys might address both our questions?
Cheers,
Old 1/30/12, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

George, I know you live in the deep south but, have your tires been subjected to below freezing temps?

For reference, my March build car has DOT dates of 4710, 4610, 0211, and 0311.
Old 1/30/12, 08:49 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GGGforce
This happened taking my wife to the airport. At the dealer more to see if this can be a warranty issue. Never saw this on a new tire, just retreads on semis... Tire pressure was fine, doing about 65 and heard a bang as the read hit the wheelwell. Crazy!
I'm sure this will be taken care of for you, GGGforce. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 1/30/12, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
George, I know you live in the deep south but, have your tires been subjected to below freezing temps?

For reference, my March build car has DOT dates of 4710, 4610, 0211, and 0311.
I am traveling right now so I can't check the dot dates, but given the cat was built in august and shipped to TX shortly thereafter, it should not have seen freezing temps, and it is garaged.
I just called the dealer again, as i haven't heard back yet.
deysha, thank you, the dealer is Leif Johnson Ford on Koenig Lane in Austin. I have been going to them for about 8 years, always take care of me. I do want to get this resolved quickly so I can drive my Boss!
Old 1/30/12, 10:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do want to get this resolved quickly so I can drive my Boss!
Your boss doesn't own a car?
Old 1/31/12, 01:22 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Your boss doesn't own a car?
Old 1/31/12, 06:37 AM

deysha, thank you, the dealer is Leif Johnson Ford on Koenig Lane in Austin. I have been going to them for about 8 years, always take care of me. I do want to get this resolved quickly so I can drive my Boss!
No problem, GGGforce. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 1/31/12, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Update. Dealer says that Ford Engineering won't warrant tire issues since the car didn't cause the failure - alignment, etc was ok. The dealer wants to send the tire to Pirelli to review, but thinks they will try to claim it was driving habits that wore it out. I would be fine if that were the case - the other front tire is in great shape. I monitor tire pressure every time I take it out. He said he will sell me a tire at cost and mount, balance, alignment while we send it off to Pirelli engineering. I am torn, kind of want to get rid of the pirelli's and try the S-04s for the street. ugh.
I wish they put better tires on from the factory.
Old 2/1/12, 02:08 AM
Cobra Member

Update. Dealer says that Ford Engineering won't warrant tire issues since the car didn't cause the failure - alignment, etc was ok. The dealer wants to send the tire to Pirelli to review, but thinks they will try to claim it was driving habits that wore it out. I would be fine if that were the case - the other front tire is in great shape. I monitor tire pressure every time I take it out. He said he will sell me a tire at cost and mount, balance, alignment while we send it off to Pirelli engineering. I am torn, kind of want to get rid of the pirelli's and try the S-04s for the street. ugh.
that sucks hard core. if money isn't an issue, go with the S04's they are much better tires. more grip and much quieter. FWIW you can almost buy two s04's for the price of one pirelli. you might try emailing pirelli and see what they will do for you. probably nothing, but you never know.
Old 2/1/12, 02:27 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable (or it would be to me). The dealer should replace the tire, if for no other reason than to keep a good customer satisfied. Its pretty obvious that there is a defect, and even though they aren't technically required to cover it, they should do what is ethically right and give you a tire and deal with Pirelli on your behalf, no matter the outcome.

If you've been dealing with them for 8 years, and just bought a 40+ thousand dollar car, a dealer should be able to spring for a couple hundred bucks to keep your business and keep you happy. I might not be a **** about it, but I'd probably take my business elsewhere in the future and make sure everyone knew about it.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/1/12 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2/1/12, 04:41 AM
V6 Member

It is unacceptable. Earlier, I meant it was fine if I believed that I wore them out, but I monitored them closely, pressure, wear pattern. Hell, I only had the car since September.
I bought the car in San Antonio, and this is my local dealer in Austin. They are smaller and didn't have a Boss when I was shopping.
This ain't over, folks.
Deysha, ideas?
Old 2/1/12, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Read the 2012 Warrenty Booklet!

This should be an easy process.

Is the dealer a "Tool"?

Dealer looks at tires sees one tire that partially delaminated. Then knowing the vehicle has less than 12,000 miles replaces the tire.

From 2012 Warranty Booklet, page 9

Two separate warranties apply to tires on your new vehicle. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment basis for parts. (See the reimbursement schedule below).

For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based

Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%

The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied with your vehicle. You have the option of having a tire warranty repair performed by the tire manufacturer’s authorized service center. If you go to a tire service center for a repair covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, you may be charged a prorated amount for wear or other charges. If so, you should present your paid invoice detailing the nature of the charges to any Ford Motor Company dealership for refund consideration. When making warranty repairs on your vehicle, the dealer will use Ford or Motorcraft parts or remanufactured or other parts that are authorized by Ford. In certain instances, Ford may authorize repairs at other than Ford dealer facilities. Tire replacements under warranty will be made with the same brand and model as originally equipped with the vehicle unless the same brand and model is no longer available, in which case a tire of the same brand and model is no longer available, in which case a tire of the same brand, size, load, speed and tread type will be used. In some circumstances, Ford may authorize another brand and/or model to substitute for the original brand and model, even if still available.

Normal tire wear or damage is not reimbursable. See page 14 for details of what is not covered.

Send a PM to Deysha

This should be easy.......

Last edited by GT_350; 2/1/12 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2/1/12, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GT_350
Send a PM to Deysha

Thanks, GT_350!

Deysha
Old 2/1/12, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Update. Dealer called, tire on the way from Houston. They are picking up the costs. I had a frank talk with the head of service, good guy, he got it. Also, thanks Deysha, the local Ford rep called the dealer, too. I've been buying Fords mixed in with some other brands for 24 years, feeling valued today. I have always owned a ford at every point.
Old 2/1/12, 05:21 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Update. Dealer called, tire on the way from Houston. They are picking up the costs. I had a frank talk with the head of service, good guy, he got it. Also, thanks Deysha, the local Ford rep called the dealer, too. I've been buying Fords mixed in with some other brands for 24 years, feeling valued today. I have always owned a ford at every point.
Glad to hear they did the right thing.
Old 2/1/12, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Update. Dealer says that Ford Engineering won't warrant tire issues since the car didn't cause the failure
Glad you got it resolved and the dealer saw reason (with a little help from Deysha).

Their logic above is just out of this world. What if the transmissions fails... "Well, the car didn't make the transmission fail so it's not covered. Maybe you could call Getrag". Mind blowing!
Old 2/1/12, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear this was taken care of!

Enjoy your Boss!
Old 2/1/12, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_350
This should be an easy process.

Is the dealer a "Tool"?

Dealer looks at tires sees one tire that partially delaminated. Then knowing the vehicle has less than 12,000 miles replaces the tire.

From 2012 Warranty Booklet, page 9

Two separate warranties apply to tires on your new vehicle. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment basis for parts. (See the reimbursement schedule below).

For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based

Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%

The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied with your vehicle. You have the option of having a tire warranty repair performed by the tire manufacturer’s authorized service center. If you go to a tire service center for a repair covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, you may be charged a prorated amount for wear or other charges. If so, you should present your paid invoice detailing the nature of the charges to any Ford Motor Company dealership for refund consideration. When making warranty repairs on your vehicle, the dealer will use Ford or Motorcraft parts or remanufactured or other parts that are authorized by Ford. In certain instances, Ford may authorize repairs at other than Ford dealer facilities. Tire replacements under warranty will be made with the same brand and model as originally equipped with the vehicle unless the same brand and model is no longer available, in which case a tire of the same brand and model is no longer available, in which case a tire of the same brand, size, load, speed and tread type will be used. In some circumstances, Ford may authorize another brand and/or model to substitute for the original brand and model, even if still available.

Normal tire wear or damage is not reimbursable. See page 14 for details of what is not covered.

Send a PM to Deysha

Awesome!!!
Old 2/1/12, 09:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see this issue was handled correctly. Kudos to all FMC people involved

Quick Reply: Pirelli tire failure on the road