Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Out of the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/11, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Story

I too was in line for a Boss and had one on order. I found a 2011 Shelby GT 500 in Arizona that a dealer was willing to go invoice on. It turned out to be a good deal so I bought it; Race Red w/ White stripes, SVTPP, Electronics Package. $ 55,000.00 OTD.
Fred
Old 5/19/11, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Cosmetics, having to pay MSRP for the Boss, and available x-plan on the GT500. When comparing both, the GT500 with the SVTPP and Recaros is a better fit for my taste.
Not bad reasoning at all IMO.

I will say that IMO people get WAY to hung up on "paying MSRP" or "paying over MSRP". If there were no Monroney label, is the car worth $XX,XXX to YOU?

There is no right answer.
Old 5/19/11, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
I too was in line for a Boss and had one on order. I found a 2011 Shelby GT 500 in Arizona that a dealer was willing to go invoice on. It turned out to be a good deal so I bought it; Race Red w/ White stripes, SVTPP, Electronics Package. $ 55,000.00 OTD.
Fred

Which means you paid ~$10k MORE for your second choice...?

Congrats either way. The SVTPP wheels are secks.
Old 5/19/11, 08:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Cosmetics, having to pay MSRP for the Boss, and available x-plan on the GT500. When comparing both, the GT500 with the SVTPP and Recaros is a better fit for my taste.
I was checking out a GT500 with the leather Recaro seats on Monday. Very nice. Not my cup of tea but a very nice Mustang. If that's what you want I hope one comes your way soon.
Old 5/19/11, 08:55 AM
GT Member

I'm reading a fair bit of comparison between the B302 and GT500. I've been considering both for a while now. I like both of them but for different reasons. I'd probably get the Shelby now if I could get a few thou off sticker. Cant go wrong with either....
Old 5/19/11, 09:02 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Getting what you want in a Mustang is what this is all about anyway. For some it will be a Shelby GT500 or GT350, for others a Boss, or a GT. $$$ is really not the deciding factor in most cases. The Boss created a craving in my guts when I first saw it, I had to have one. Nevertheless, I can walk past a row of 10 Shelby GT500s and not even turn my head to glance at them. I'm just not interested in that kind of Mustang.

I would have loved to have been of car buying age back in 1969 though. Imagine going to you local Ford dealer and having your choice of a Shelby GT500KR, a Boss 302, a Boss 429, or a Mach 1 with the 428CJ - yep, something for everyone.
Old 5/19/11, 09:13 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy M
... I'd probably get the Shelby now if I could get a few thou off sticker...
The one I ordered has a MSRP of $55,195 less $4,747 for the x-plan, less $499 of the dealer fee plus tax, tag, and title. When it's all said and done it is about $6,000 more than the Boss 302.
Old 5/19/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DFV
Getting what you want in a Mustang is what this is all about anyway. For some it will be a Shelby GT500 or GT350, for others a Boss, or a GT. $$$ is really not the deciding factor in most cases. The Boss created a craving in my guts when I first saw it, I had to have one. Nevertheless, I can walk past a row of 10 Shelby GT500s and not even turn my head to glance at them. I'm just not interested in that kind of Mustang.

I would have loved to have been of car buying age back in 1969 though. Imagine going to you local Ford dealer and having your choice of a Shelby GT500KR, a Boss 302, a Boss 429, or a Mach 1 with the 428CJ - yep, something for everyone.
Completely agree, while both the Boss and the GT500 are awesome cars in their own right they just weren't exactly what I wanted. So I'm picking up a GT 400A w/Brembos and turning it into exatly what I want. Of course it will take longer, and probably cost more than just picking up a Boss but it will be exatly what I want.
Old 5/19/11, 09:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Randy M
I'm reading a fair bit of comparison between the B302 and GT500. I've been considering both for a while now. I like both of them but for different reasons. I'd probably get the Shelby now if I could get a few thou off sticker. Cant go wrong with either....
No you can't which is why I convinced my wife I NEEDED to keep my GT500. I'm conflicted. I drove the Boss on Monday, the GT500 on Tuesday, the Boss on Wednesday, and had to move my F-150 out of the driveway to get the GT500 out again this morning. I feel like an Avis parking lot attendant I wish there was a way to have it all. I love the brute force of my modded GT500, but you just can't beat the handling of the Boss, even with all the suspension mods on my GT500.

I went blasting down an interstate ramp in the Boss last night and my wife was giggling saying how it felt like a rocket ship and a roller coaster. Usually she's screaming at me to slow down, but she said "I just feel so much more planted in this car versus the GT500. I know you say you're in control but when the rear wheels are sliding all over the place I don't know how you could be " I have to agree in one sense. The GT500 is raw and the Boss is sooooo incredibly balanced and sure footed.
Old 5/19/11, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cloud9
... The GT500 is raw and the Boss is sooooo incredibly balanced and sure footed.
I had a '07 GT500 which was traded for a '08 which was traded for a '11 SVTPP. Comparing the '07 and '08 to the '11 I reached the same conclusion as you have, to me it's night and day. I don't have an issue lacking confidence or on how the '11 will respond on various circumstances, so far it has gone where I want it to go and not vice versa.
Old 5/19/11, 10:46 AM
GT Member

The one I ordered has a MSRP of $55,195 less $4,747 for the x-plan, less $499 of the dealer fee plus tax, tag, and title. When it's all said and done it is about $6,000 more than the Boss 302.
That would be a very easy decision for me. I would have done the same...
Old 5/19/11, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

As some may know, I have come across several Boss opportunities while looking for a silver Laguna Seca for a friend. Way Brothers Ford in Hawkinsville, Ga. had a street Boss that recently went to one of our Forum members. I am told the deal went extremely well for both parties, and a new owner is excited about his MSRP Boss.

This dealership just recently got in a ’12 GT500 Black/red stripe Coupe with Navigation, glass roof and SVT performance package. MSRP on the car is $57,825 and they would like to sell the car quickly. Although I have no interest, for those who may decide a Boss is just not what they want over say a Shelby, make a reasonable offer to Butch 888-864-0258. And just say the Forum membership looks out for each other.

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 5/19/11 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Font too small
Old 5/19/11, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Usually she's screaming at me to slow down, but she said "I just feel so much more planted in this car versus the GT500. I know you say you're in control but when the rear wheels are sliding all over the place I don't know how you could be "
Dude, hold on to that woman. Tight!
Old 5/19/11, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Kinda funny - I have never driven a Mustang or any variation of (GT500, Shelby, etc....) in my lfe and was compelled to put $1K down to order the BOSS 302 . All due to the lap times posted by various journalists.

I'll be shocked if I am disappointed!
Old 5/19/11, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Which means you paid ~$10k MORE for your second choice...?

Congrats either way. The SVTPP wheels are secks.
No,
I have always wanted one but most of the dealers out here on the left coast are pretty proud of them and want 10,000.00 over. I actually tried to by the same car in January but they would not budge on the price. Fast forward to the end of March and I talked to a differant manager and was willing to deal with me on the car. ( They had it over 120 Days ) I'm happy with my choice and no regrets. I still would like to owna Boss some day though.
Old 5/19/11, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FAST FRED
No,
I have always wanted one but most of the dealers out here on the left coast are pretty proud of them and want 10,000.00 over. I actually tried to by the same car in January but they would not budge on the price. Fast forward to the end of March and I talked to a differant manager and was willing to deal with me on the car. ( They had it over 120 Days ) I'm happy with my choice and no regrets. I still would like to owna Boss some day though.

Old 5/19/11, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

No you can't which is why I convinced my wife I NEEDED to keep my GT500. I'm conflicted. I drove the Boss on Monday, the GT500 on Tuesday, the Boss on Wednesday, and had to move my F-150 out of the driveway to get the GT500 out again this morning. I feel like an Avis parking lot attendant I wish there was a way to have it all. I love the brute force of my modded GT500, but you just can't beat the handling of the Boss, even with all the suspension mods on my GT500.

I went blasting down an interstate ramp in the Boss last night and my wife was giggling saying how it felt like a rocket ship and a roller coaster. Usually she's screaming at me to slow down, but she said "I just feel so much more planted in this car versus the GT500. I know you say you're in control but when the rear wheels are sliding all over the place I don't know how you could be " I have to agree in one sense. The GT500 is raw and the Boss is sooooo incredibly balanced and sure footed.
I have that same feeling everyday I go to work too. There is an exit I take which has a perfect radius and I could not believe how well the car handled. It felt like it was on a rail! Especially while a Audi A5 was trying to keep up. Not!
Old 5/21/11, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had a '07 GT500 which was traded for a '08 which was traded for a '11 SVTPP. Comparing the '07 and '08 to the '11 I reached the same conclusion as you have, to me it's night and day. I don't have an issue lacking confidence or on how the '11 will respond on various circumstances, so far it has gone where I want it to go and not vice versa.
I haven't driven an 11 SVTPP, but it would be an interesting comparison to my 07 with 640 at the tire, 3.73 gear, full Griggs rear suspension and Koni adjustables all around. I'm thinking my 07 might still get around a track faster than a stock 11 SVTPP based on my comparison so far with the new Boss. The one difference I'd have to "feel" would be taking 100 lbs off the nose with the aluminum block. That's still the biggest challenge with my GT500. The weight difference with the Boss is very noticeable just by seat of the pants driving.

Last edited by cloud9; 5/21/11 at 09:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 5/21/11, 11:07 AM

... I'm thinking my 07 might still get around a track faster than a stock 11 SVTPP based on my comparison so far with the new Boss...
Which of the two has the better lap time?
Old 5/21/11, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Which of the two has the better lap time?
It's too early to tell. I've only had the Boss on two tracks and the second one was a new track to me. On the only track I could compare, it was my first track day in the Boss and I'd owned the car for 10 days. Obviously more seat time would help. I ran a square setup in the morning that day and found out it is absolutely WRONG for the Boss' suspension. In the afternoon I ran a staggered set that was on its last legs.....they were corded after 3 sessions. I did run a second faster than the morning though. My best lap in the Boss was 2.5 seconds slower than my BEST lap time ever on that track in the GT500. However, that best lap time was accomplished after at least 15 track days on that same track and done in 50 degree ambient on new tires. That lap time was also 1.5 seconds faster than my previous best lap time in the GT500 after hundreds of laps on that track.

A better comparison might be at BIR next month. I'll have new tires for the Boss and a lot more seat time. However, BIR is a power track and certainly favors high horsepower cars. The only issue right now is that I had to send my lap timer to Italy for repair and it's hung up in customs! Unfortunately they don't have transponders for rent there so I'm trying to find a backup plan. One of the guys I'm going with has the same timer as me so worst case hopefully I can borrow it for a session or two to put down some times.

Based on the differences in weight, horsepower and handling, it's possible either car could be better than the other depending on the track.

Last edited by cloud9; 5/21/11 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Out of the hunt