Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Oil Pressure gauge hook up help

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/11, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure gauge hook up help

I need to hook up my Interceptor gauge and really need to have oil pressure and temp displayed. I ordered the sending units but am wondering where people ar installing the senders?? Cloud9 I saw was talking about it but have not seen a solution as of yet... can anyone help me out?

Thanks-Andy
Old 8/6/11, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bueller??
Old 8/6/11, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Mine's not a Boss, but on my 4.6L the easiest way was to get a sandwich oil filter adapter, I plugged in the pressure and temp gauge sending units for one Autometer gauge and the one for the Interceptor (pressure Autometer, temp Interceptor, I believe (not hooked up the gauges yet, though). Ran the car in extremely hot weather over July 4th weekend at PPIR, no problems, no leakage whatsoever. Using the standard Ford Racing filter for my engine, too, just barely fit without touching the front AR bar.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-f...-adapters.aspx

Old 8/6/11, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for the help. My preference would be not to use one of those if possible. I was wondering if the Boss actually has a rear oil pressure sender as the LS gauge apck has the oil pressure gauge?? Also I have seen somewhere that the Boss oil pan has a temp sensor, is this true?

Thanks
Old 8/6/11, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

The sensor on the side of the oil pan is an oil level sensor - not temp or pressure. The pressure sensor is located just under the OEM oil cooler. See the pressure sensor indicated by the (3) in the attached diagram.

Note: We will be testing our new, oil cooler kit at MMP at the end of the Month. Our kit will have provisions for adding a traditional temperature sensor.

Oil Pressure gauge hook up help-oilflow.jpg
Old 8/6/11, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
The sensor on the side of the oil pan is an oil level sensor - not temp or pressure. The pressure sensor is located just under the OEM oil cooler. See the pressure sensor indicated by the (3) in the attached diagram.

Note: We will be testing our new, oil cooler kit at MMP at the end of the Month. Our kit will have provisions for adding a traditional temperature sensor.

Attachment 91445
Excellent info! So would the factory sensor be readable by the aeroforce interceptor...and if not is there a way to either tap into the wiring for a signal to an aftermarket sensor or install an adaptor for an aftermarket sending unit? I would be VERY interested in your oil cooler setup as I need one ASAP. BTW your kit would be thermostatic right? Thanks

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 8/6/11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 8/6/11, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW your kit would be thermostatic right?
Of course. We will have a minimum of (4) LS's at MMP at the end of the month for track time, and at least one pro driver. This will be a good shakedown test for the cooler and an ideal way to make comparisons to OEM set-up. Still have some work to do to get the cooler mounted where we want to place it and so there is still risk to the schedule - but we should make it!
Old 8/6/11, 12:39 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
Excellent info! So would the factory sensor be readable by the aeroforce interceptor...and if not is there a way to either tap into the wiring for a signal to an aftermarket sensor or install an adaptor for an aftermarket sending unit? I would be VERY interested in your oil cooler setup as I need one ASAP. BTW your kit would be thermostatic right? Thanks
In going through the shop manuals for the Boss, I've determined that if you use the Boss oil pressure sensor, you can replace the original sender with the Boss version and still have the idiot light work.

The key here is that the Boss oil pressure gauge mimics the signal sent by the base oil pressure switch. This has to be wired up properly to work, but is an interesting solution.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure gauge hook up help-ls-oil-pressure-gauge.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS Oil pressure gauge.pdf (105.3 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/6/11 at 03:09 PM.
Old 8/6/11, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
In going through the shop manuals for the Boss, I've determined that if you use the Boss oil pressure sensor, you can replace the original sender with the Boss version and still have the idiot light work.

The key here is that the Boss oil pressure gauge mimics the signal sent by the base oil pressure switch. This has to be wired up properly to work, but is an interesting solution.
So it sounds like my idea to use an aftermarket sender in the factory location and wire it into the factory sender wiring should work??! It's raining all weekend so i will put the car on jackstands and take a close look at the wiring and if its looks good, install my sender in the factory location and wire it up.
Old 8/6/11, 01:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Of course. We will have a minimum of (4) LS's at MMP at the end of the month for track time, and at least one pro driver. This will be a good shakedown test for the cooler and an ideal way to make comparisons to OEM set-up. Still have some work to do to get the cooler mounted where we want to place it and so there is still risk to the schedule - but we should make it!
Which days are going to be there? There are several forum members attending Track Attack between August 29-31 including me.
Old 8/6/11, 02:24 PM
FR500 Member

So it sounds like my idea to use an aftermarket sender in the factory location and wire it into the factory sender wiring should work??! It's raining all weekend so i will put the car on jackstands and take a close look at the wiring and if its looks good, install my sender in the factory location and wire it up.
It will not work. You run a chance of damaging something in the stock electrical system as well. The stock system expects a 0V signal when oil pressure is normal (signal line pulled to ground), anything above 0V is considered a fault.

What is not shown in the attached diagram is the circuit that supplies voltage to the oil pressure signal line. It is this circuit which could be damaged if you wire your sensor to that line. Damaging that circuit could cost you your Instrument Cluster, your PCM, or both.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure gauge hook up help-stock-oil-pressure.jpg  

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/6/11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 8/6/11, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

While true, the OP is looking for a place to get oil temp not oil pressure.
Old 8/6/11, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Which days are going to be there? There are several forum members attending Track Attack between August 29-31 including me.
We've rented the track the later part of the week before. Aug 24-26.
Old 8/6/11, 02:57 PM
FR500 Member

While true, the OP is looking for a place to get oil temp not oil pressure.
OP is asking for both oil temp and oil pressure.
Old 8/6/11, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
This^

I really want oil pressure ASAP and i can wait for oil temp when i get a cooler as it should be relatively easy to install a temp sensor at that point

PTRocks: So I am confused...Does the LS use a different oil pressure switch than the regular Boss?

If so how could i tap the aftermarket gauge into it? Or is this all a waste of time and just figure out some other way to add another sender?

And if not how does the LS get pressure, or does the fancy LS gauge pack have the same on/off readings as the low oil pressure dummy light?

sorry i am just getting myself confused
Old 8/6/11, 04:15 PM
FR500 Member

This^

I really want oil pressure ASAP and i can wait for oil temp when i get a cooler as it should be relatively easy to install a temp sensor at that point

PTRocks: So I am confused...Does the LS use a different oil pressure switch than the regular Boss?

If so how could i tap the aftermarket gauge into it? Or is this all a waste of time and just figure out some other way to add another sender?

And if not how does the LS get pressure, or does the fancy LS gauge pack have the same on/off readings as the low oil pressure dummy light?

sorry i am just getting myself confused
The LS uses a different sensor that actually sends a signal proportional to oil pressure. The base Boss uses a simple switch. The LS gauge pack mimics the on/off readings so the rest of the car's computers are happy.

It sounds like trying to go the integrated route is going to create too many headaches for you. I suggest that you look for a tee fitting that will allow you to attach the old and new pressure sensors to the same port on the engine block, and keep all of the wiring separate.
Old 8/6/11, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

My bad. Apologies.
Old 8/6/11, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Attachment 91445
Thanks for the update!
Old 8/7/11, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris

Are you saying that if I buy the Ford Racing oil pressure gauge used in the LS and the LS oil pressure sender, it will work? If so, do you have the part number?
Old 8/7/11, 01:16 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Chris

Are you saying that if I buy the Ford Racing oil pressure gauge used in the LS and the LS oil pressure sender, it will work? If so, do you have the part number?
It can be made to work. It is a fair bit of work though. There is a thread around here with the installation instructions for the FRPP gauge pack. I have the part number for the sensor, gauge and one of the harnesses, but not here with me.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure gauge hook up help