Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Oil change at 1k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/12, 02:44 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fbbob96
I changed mine at 1000k miles and will do it at 5k and every 5k after that.
That's it right there.
Old 11/16/12, 05:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't changed mine yet. But seeing how many of you have, perhaps I should.
Old 11/16/12, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

You don't have to join the sheeple who think it's a good idea to dump your factory oil at 1k miles. Every engine is different, some will burn a fair amount of oil when new, others won't. If you are tracking your Boss hard I would expect to burn more than street driven Mustang, all other things being equal. I have also seen a few cases of what could be considered 'excessive' oil consumption that were not addressed by the dealer and a '12 owner got rid of his rather than worry about even more problems down the road.

I checked my oil at every single fill up the first 3 months since taking delivery on July 3rd. The oil was right at the top of the 2nd dot on the stick and slowly crept down through the cross hatch area until it was just about a 1/4 above the 1st dot. So I got one of the 'good ones' that doesn't burn oil, whoohoo!

Changed the oil at 6200 miles and the oil life meter on the LCD read 40% left. I am not going to burn in hell, or see my engine explode just after my warranty expires because I didn't dump the oil after only 1000 miles.

YMMV

Old 11/17/12, 05:19 AM
GT Member

I'm leaving my first fill in for 5k miles as Ford wishes. I'm sure there are special additives in the original fill for break in purposes.

I've checked my oil weekly since day one, and I've noticed no level change, my car now has 2k miles. My oil will be changed at 5k, or one year. I've owned over 10 new cars and have never noticed any metal shavings in my first oil change, if you do, I agree it's a failure in the making. I completely rebuilt a 5.7L LS1 for a friend this Summer, (crank, rods, pistons, rings, heads, lifters, chain/gears) same thing, first change of the oil @ 3K miles, no metal chips, just clean oil.

I believe fully that an engine is built right, or it isn't, plain and simple. Just watch your oil level weekly.
Old 11/18/12, 05:34 AM
Cobra Member

Not to start another 'what type' debate...

I am very much looking forward to next summer when I can compare oil analysis reports from the Motorcraft fill to the Royal Purple I just replaced it with after the exact amount of miles. I expect the difference to be night and day, I wonder how much 'expected life' will be left on the RP full synthetic I have in there now?

Getting a sample will be easier too after installing Fumoto valve.
Old 11/18/12, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by KeavDog
Okay that was like the Exxon Valdez. Between the angled oil filter dripping on the chassis and the oil pan draining into the transmission scoop there is a good clean up job after everything's done.

Filter came off easy with mild wrench pressure.
My FoMoCo factory filter was on hand tight, got it off no problem. You really need to get yourself one of these my friend, zero mess.

http://www.amazon.com/PIG%C2%AE-Form...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I can't find the exact post on BMO, but one guy with the trans scoop has installed the Fumoto valve, and drilled a hole in the scoop for the plastic tube he fits onto the valve nipple and it works great. Here's the thread showing the funnel on a Boss. My pics are on my other laptop, will have my own post on this later...

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...-lots-of-pics/

Last edited by ace72ace; 11/18/12 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11/18/12, 06:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My first oil change was at just under 3K and my low oil warning came on. Had to put 2 quarts in and went to the dealer to see what was wrong and did the change. Now i'm at 8K, put 2 more quarts in since. I'm doing 5K changes so it goes in this week for its second change.
Old 11/18/12, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Hmm, with that level of consumption I'd be checking it at every fill up. Document how much and how often you have to add oil in case you have a warranty claim down the road. Recently some Boss owners reported issues with the #3 cylinder that required an engine replacement. Not trying to be an alarmist at all, but just keep a close eye on it, and at least you have got your changes done at the dealer so at this point it's all on them.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...racked-piston/
Old 11/18/12, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
My FoMoCo factory filter was on hand tight, got it off no problem. You really need to get yourself one of these my friend, zero mess.

http://www.amazon.com/PIG%C2%AE-Form...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I can't find the exact post on BMO, but one guy with the trans scoop has installed the Fumoto valve, and drilled a hole in the scoop for the plastic tube he fits onto the valve nipple and it works great. Here's the thread showing the funnel on a Boss. My pics are on my other laptop, will have my own post on this later...

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...-lots-of-pics/
Yes! Thanks for the tip.
Old 11/18/12, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hmm, with that level of consumption I'd be checking it at every fill up. Document how much and how often you have to add oil in case you have a warranty claim down the road. Recently some Boss owners reported issues with the #3 cylinder that required an engine replacement. Not trying to be an alarmist at all, but just keep a close eye on it, and at least you have got your changes done at the dealer so at this point it's all on them.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...racked-piston/
On a side note from this, after reading the issue that preceded the piston failure, now that it is getting colder, at least in some parts, has anyone noticed a ticking coming from the back of the engine? I have watched the videos of the 5.0 tick and this doesn't sound anything like it, though it also doesn't sound like injectors or valve clatter. It also goes away once the car warms up.
Old 3/3/13, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, it looks as though my Boss is about a quart or half a quart low. Full is at the top of the hatched marks right? Mine showed a bit lower than that, so I added half a quart. "Felt" like it ran way better today I think it was all in my head, but man, love punching it in third gear and love letting off the gas to hear the gurgle and burble in second gear.
Old 3/3/13, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.amazon.com/PIG%C2%AE-Form-A-Funnel%C2%AE-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B003V9JWHO/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I just use a folded piece of cardboard...
Old 3/3/13, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

More power to you my friend, I like the PIG.
Old 3/3/13, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
If you want to keep the car fr a long time as you have said I would consider changing the oil every 3k miles or so. Yes it's synthetic, and yes I am sure some guys change it later then that because it doesn't given driven super hard, but if you want to err on the side of caution it can't hurt after the first oil change.
Seeing the 3000 mile interval reminds me of the content of this article on Edmunds from awhile back - http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
Also, it would seem to be negating the advantage of synthetic oil to change it well before the service life ends.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 3/3/13 at 10:34 PM.