2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Boss Owner. What is this CAI???

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/23, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Boss Owner. What is this CAI???

Hello All.

I just purchased a 2013 Boss 302. Got some of the bugs worked out and it seems like it might end up being a great ride for me. It came with an aftermarket CAI that the previous owner did not install, so he didn't know about it and didn't think the car had a tune. I noticed while driving it, I could smell the cats a bit (sulfur kind of smell). I thought I would be smart and put the stock airbox back on. Seemed to be better, but maybe not. I now also get codes 00420 and 00430. Great.... Without getting too deep into that yet.... Anyone know who makes this CAI?

It is metal, it is heavy and I can find no markings on it. I just find it strange that this would not have a tune. Maybe someone knows something about it...

Car runs great otherwise. My first Coyote (well Roadrunner) and I am impressed.

Unknown CAI
Old 6/15/23, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 1,079 Posts
I don't recognize it, but the car probably DOES have a tune for that CAI, and that's why you are getting the codes with the stock airbox
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
NC14GT (6/16/23), ttbit (6/15/23)
Old 6/15/23, 02:52 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,319 Posts
I Think We Have a Match! Maybe Early Production Since No Emblems or Markings. Anyhoo It's Real Close if Not It!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/produ...=false&index=0

Application.
This BBK Cold Air Intake System is specifically designed to fit the 2011-2014 5.0L V8 Mustangs and does not require re-tuning the vehicles computer for operation.

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/15/23 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
NC14GT (6/16/23), ttbit (6/15/23)
Old 6/15/23, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I don't recognize it, but the car probably DOES have a tune for that CAI, and that's why you are getting the codes with the stock airbox
Yeah....I pulled codes when I bought it and it didn't have any, so.... I'll throw it back on and see what happens. LT fuel trim was 10% already, so I should know pretty quickly. Don't suppose my little code reader tells me if it has a tune. It gives me a CID and CVN, but I assume that is the base tune in the PCM?

Thanks.
Old 6/15/23, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Think We Have a Match!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/produ...=false&index=0

Application.
This BBK Cold Air Intake System is specifically designed to fit the 2011-2014 5.0L V8 Mustangs and does not require re-tuning the vehicles computer for operation.

KC
Whoa....it does look a lot like that one. Mine looks like a cheap knock off. hahaha You would think the stock box would get cooler air from the grill? I thought I searched, but maybe I was too Boss specific. Thank you! The exhaust smelled a little bad with either one, so maybe I have a different problem, but this helps!!!
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (6/15/23)
Old 6/15/23, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ttbit
.... Don't suppose my little code reader tells me if it has a tune.....
I believe it does not .... the only way I know to check to see if it has been tuned, is to have a Ford dealer check it; they can tell you if it has been "flashed" but they can't tell you what changes were done in the tune
(as far as I know, based on my experience with buying a 2010 GT with a "mystery tune" installed)
ttbit (6/15/23)
Old 6/15/23, 04:12 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,783 Posts
If the CAI in question is designed to operate on the stock calibration tune? Your vehicle wouldn't require an aftermarket tune for it, to begin with... Did you look up the codes on Google? We need more info on the codes to determine what they're specifically related towards.
Old 6/15/23, 04:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If the CAI in question is designed to operate on the stock calibration tune? Your vehicle wouldn't require an aftermarket tune for it, to begin with... Did you look up the codes on Google? We need more info on the codes to determine what they're specifically related towards.
P0420 and P0430. Cat efficiency codes. I also mentioned the smell from the exhaust, which is intermittent. I figured I wanted to find out what CAI it was first. My little scanner showed the o2 sensors working, but I ordered a cable for forscan, as it would be nice to get a bigger picture of things. Yeah. This CAI could be non-related, but it was the first thing I asked the seller, and it stood out to me. Knowing what it is now puts me a little at peace, at least.

I have only driven this car about 150 miles or so. I just got it, so I am just working through it. I replaced a wheel bearing and tires so far. Feels like a completely different car already. I am pretty **** about things and even found the O2 sensor harness not positioned correctly, so i corrected that. It was resting near the exhaust. Also, both sides(banks) showed the same voltages and such, so it is not one side related, but the system as a whole, my first thought.
Old 6/15/23, 04:35 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,319 Posts
P0420 and P0430. Cat efficiency codes. I also mentioned the smell from the exhaust, which is intermittent. I figured I wanted to find out what CAI it was first. My little scanner showed the o2 sensors working, but I ordered a cable for forscan, as it would be nice to get a bigger picture of things. Yeah. This CAI could be non-related, but it was the first thing I asked the seller, and it stood out to me. Knowing what it is now puts me a little at peace, at least.

I have only driven this car about 150 miles or so. I just got it, so I am just working through it. I replaced a wheel bearing and tires so far. Feels like a completely different car already. I am pretty **** about things and even found the O2 sensor harness not positioned correctly, so i corrected that. It was resting near the exhaust. Also, both sides(banks) showed the same voltages and such, so it is not one side related, but the system as a whole, my first thought.
Run A Bottle of This stuff it Works Pretty Good! I Have Used it!

https://www.crcindustries.com/guaran...-12-fl-oz-291/

KC
ttbit (6/15/23)
Old 6/15/23, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Are the stock Cats on the car?
Old 6/15/23, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Are the stock Cats on the car?
This, I would also like to know as well.

It seems from what you describe that somebody has messed with the O2 sensor harness, otherwise, it would not have been positioned improperly. My next question is are the stock cats still in place or did somebody remove the stock catted mid-pipe and replace it with an off-road mid-pipe without cats? If so, then this would explain the reason for the exhaust smell and codes, but you would also end up with a check engine light as well due to removal of the catalytic converters, unless of course a tuning shop was able to disable the rear 02 sensors by shutting them off in the calibration tuning files. Other than that, I'm unable to figure out at this point as to what else could be responsible for your cat efficiency codes. Perhaps, your rear O2 sensors somehow became worn out and require replacement.
Old 6/16/23, 06:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The stock cats and exhaust are on the car. My guess on the harness is that the transmission might have been removed to install a clutch. The holding tabs were cracked, probably removing the harness from the transmission. Zip ties were used to hold it up instead, but they didn't do the best job with it. Other than the aftermarket CAI, this thing looks very stock. The Boss 302 Strut covers were still on the car. hahaha He didn't know it was adjustable and everything was set to 5. I did mention the clutch is heavy, but at high RPMs the pedal drops, or feels different, like what people describe on the stock clutch, so who knows. There is a steel braided line though. Stock rotors too.
Old 6/16/23, 02:15 PM

Well in that case, I would suspect either the O2 harness or the O2 sensors themselves for the cat efficiency codes... Therefore, I would consider having them both looked at.
Old 6/16/23, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was trying to check for intake leaks and snapped the stock connector for the tube that goes into the car. Nice. Why I even tried to re-use that factory hose clamp.... I thought maybe it was partially broken and letting air in past the MAF, but I swapped the CAI back in and reset the pcm. Within minutes after starting, the short-term fuel was +7-9% so I assume no change and it will move over to long term after driving some. I will drive it and see if the CEL comes back on and monitor the fuel trims and will report back. I think my forscan cable is supposed to be here today too.

Thanks all!

Bert (6/20/23)
Old 7/3/23, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have driven it about 150 miles now since going back to the aftermarket CAI and no codes. No pending codes. LFT Bank 1 2% and Bank 2 is 5%. Could be that the connector for the cabin line on the stock tube was already broken away some when I installed it. Guess the smart thing to do is to leave it alone now. : )

Those miles were fun miles on the Dragon, which is just minutes from where I live.

Thanks again.
Bert (7/5/23)
Old 7/3/23, 11:18 AM

Thanks for following up and glad you figured it out... Congrats!
ttbit (7/3/23)