Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

My Track Attack day

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/11, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott,
Thanks again for the write-up. I'm going Nov 17.
Please post hotel recommendations.
Thanks.
-- Jim
Old 8/16/11, 11:59 AM

Hotel Reservation -- My Selection

I'd recommend Marriott's Fairfield Inn and Suites -- Salt Lake City Airport. Free WiFi, free breakfast, and decent (but small) gym. It's located west of downtown right off Hwy 80 and the drive to the track is about 25 mins. Has a Perkins restaurant attached. Enjoy.
Old 8/23/11, 03:47 PM
GT Member

Here are the videos I took from the Track Attack. Sorry for the low audio. I didn't realize I had my GoPro at the low audio setting. I had to pull in to the hot pits to get a gap. I don't think the guy leading the train was checking his mirrors early on...

Part 1:

Part 2:
Old 8/23/11, 04:07 PM
GT Member

And here is the instructor's hot lap with me as passenger:
Old 8/23/11, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In for later on the TA videos, thanks for sharing!
Old 8/26/11, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at their track map on the website, it looks like they run counter-clockwise? Can someone confirm? Was hoping to review the track maps a bit on the plane Sunday.
Old 8/26/11, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Yes, we ran the East track counter-clockwise.
Old 8/26/11, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Warren.
Old 8/26/11, 05:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Was hoping to review the track maps a bit on the plane Sunday.
Planning ahead, crap never thought about doing that. Doesn't that take the fun out of hitting the hairpin turns for the first time
Old 9/1/11, 06:02 PM
GT Member

For those who did the Track Attack this week, what were your experiences like? How did day 2 go?
Old 9/1/11, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

For a track noob like me it was an 11 on a scale of one to ten. Outstanding instructors, track, cars, etc. Was great meeting Scott, Kenny, Phil, Charlie, and Gary! Always a pleasure to hang out with Rick as well.

Good mix of whiteboard/instruction and behind the wheel. For those who have never tracked a car I can't recommend this enough.

My laptop net connection is down right now but I'll get some pics up at some point. Again, the instructors are top notch professional racers who also had a good time... Even having me play a practical joke on Byron.

Bry from Miller was a real pleasure to meet. He gave us a private tour of the Shelby collection and his knowledge of Ford Racing history was amazing. Great guy. Also met Jim from Ford and his passion for the car/program/customers was a treat to behold. Love that everyone involved is a true blue blooded Ford performance enthusiast!

Just go and do it, whatever sacrifices it requires!
Old 9/1/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh yeah.... You do a lot of heel and toe which was valuable to me later going against seasoned vets like 5 DOT 0 and 2012YellowBoss! I managed to brake fade the pedal to the floor after multiple back to back to back heel and toe downshifts from high speed down to nearly nothing to U turn and repeat. A couple of easy runs and they were back.

The drift car with the outriggers and hydraulics was fun and instructional rolled into one.

More to come as I remember...
Old 9/1/11, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

My father in law got an orange Boss (he's 70, bought it as a collector's piece, quite frustrating...), so will get the Track Attack one day free, correct?
And if I go with, it's $1300 for me for the first day, then can I purchase the next day for extra? I'm not sure he'd be up to the 2nd day, cost or endurance wise, but I'd love to do the full FR500 day.
Old 9/1/11, 09:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Oh yeah.... You do a lot of heel and toe which was valuable to me later going against seasoned vets like 5 DOT 0 and 2012YellowBoss!
Yeah right. That was the first time I drove a 3,600 pound car on a race track before.

Andy pretty well covered it. It was a first class event with first class people. It was a surprise to see Joe and Gunnar there and that was the icing on the cake for me. Charlie and Byron are no slouches either and all four of the instructors can drive flat out. I had Gunnar ride with me and critique my driving and I did hot laps with both Joe and Byron. I was amazed by Joe's control of the weight transfer of the Boss and how smooth he was while driving that fast. He was going so deep and fast into corners that I thought there was no way we'd make it through. The hot laps give you an excellent idea of how capable our cars are and that was with street tires. Ford gave us amazing cars at an excellent value.

I'm working on some video with Bryon and will post this weekend.
Old 9/1/11, 11:10 PM
Bullitt Member

For a track noob like me it was an 11 on a scale of one to ten. Outstanding instructors, track, cars, etc. Was great meeting Scott, Kenny, Phil, Charlie, and Gary! Always a pleasure to hang out with Rick as well.

Good mix of whiteboard/instruction and behind the wheel. For those who have never tracked a car I can't recommend this enough.

My laptop net connection is down right now but I'll get some pics up at some point. Again, the instructors are top notch professional racers who also had a good time... Even having me play a practical joke on Byron.

Bry from Miller was a real pleasure to meet. He gave us a private tour of the Shelby collection and his knowledge of Ford Racing history was amazing. Great guy. Also met Jim from Ford and his passion for the car/program/customers was a treat to behold. Love that everyone involved is a true blue blooded Ford performance enthusiast!

Just go and do it, whatever sacrifices it requires!
I was easily the oldest (and by looking at the pics, shortest Nube of the bunch). Great time with Scott, Gary, Rick, Kenny and Andy; all Forum mem;'s I think. In any case, Andy summed it up well, sure more pics will be posted. Definitely worth the price of admission(travel/lodging). We were fortunate for the 8/31 drive class to have two of Ford's TOP drivers; "Front Row" Joe Foster and Gunnar Jeanette. Charlie and Byron were also great instructors lending their expertise to my advantage. The venue can't be beat in my limited experience. Tuesday night we pidgeon holed Jim Owens, Mustang Product Planning Manager and picked his brain. For all of us wanting the "Track Key", maybe the end of Sept or Oct. Way it was explained; CA has 90 days to ask questions and Ford responds. Then, CA has another 90 days to approve or ask more ????'s. CA is on their second query. BTW, the "Trophy" or whatever the Boss 302 Piston/Rod "heavy Duty" Placque with name/date awarded meant; it easily passed through carry-on luggage at SLC. They must have been warned. In total, the Boss Track Attack Program put on by Ford is First Class and Professional. In the interest of full disclosure I recently bought a lot more Ford stock. GM and Chrysler are still sucking taxpayer dollars.
Old 9/1/11, 11:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Oh yeah.... You do a lot of heel and toe which was valuable to me later going against seasoned vets like 5 DOT 0 and 2012YellowBoss!
Please diden't you pass me out there?

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Andy pretty well covered it. It was a first class event with first class people. The hot laps give you an excellent idea of how capable our cars are and that was with street tires. Ford gave us amazing cars at an excellent value.
Well put.

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Great time with Scott, Gary, Rick, Kenny and Andy; all Forum mem;'s I think. In any case, Andy summed it up well, sure more pics will be posted. Definitely worth the price of admission(travel/lodging). We were fortunate for the 8/31 drive class to have two of Ford's TOP drivers; "Front Row" Joe Foster and Gunnar Jeanette. Charlie and Byron were also great instructors lending their expertise to my advantage. The venue can't be beat in my limited experience.
Again well said

So glad I went, it was great to meet everyone in person. I still can't believe how much they can teach in one day, I could write a book about the day. The guys there, and I mean every one of them, are very into what they do and it shows. Charlie Putman spend a lot of quality time with me and I am sure I picked up things that will help me out immensely on the track.

I was blow away at what they can do with the Boss, on street tires no less. I never thought I was good but still felt I was driving the Boss somewhat hard. That was until I went out with them, if I have driven the Boss to 30 percent of it potential that is a lot. It is going to take me a very long time to take it to 80 percent and that would scare most people to never get back into one.

Couple of pics

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/1/11 at 11:47 PM.
Old 9/1/11, 11:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Here is the vid of my first solo session. Put the left side off the track at turn 22. Crank the volume and hear the rocks fly. It is always long looping turns that kick my as$ - "fast in sideways out"

Second part of the first session with Charlie instructing. He was right there telling me things in real time, not talking about the last turn. I can not say enought on how this instruction has helped me.

Second session solo

Second session with Charlie

Ride along with Charlie

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/2/11 at 12:34 AM.
Old 9/2/11, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Scott, Charlie's driving instruction was more acclimated to mine; He is not a big user of very heavy brakes. Gunnar loves to charge the straights, brake heard and accel as fast as he can til the next turn. I'd be afraid of being Carl Edwards losing it off the track 'cause the brakes failed. Two different styles and I'm such a novice it's a personal technique that works for different drivers. Great video, BTW. Summed up what we did individually, from the vids inside your car.
Old 9/2/11, 12:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Scott,
great write up, videos, and photos.

For anyone going to Track Attack in the future I recommend you consider staying at the Hampton Inn in Tooele. The rates are cheaper than the hotels in SLC, and it's just about 10 minutes from the track. It's clean, and they provide you breakfast.
On the downside, there's not a lot of nightlife in Tooele.

And yes, the local cops work the roads going to the track pretty heavily for speeders.
Old 9/2/11, 12:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Scott, Charlie's driving instruction was more acclimated to mine; He is not a big user of very heavy brakes. Gunnar loves to charge the straights, brake heard and accel as fast as he can til the next turn. I'd be afraid of being Carl Edwards losing it off the track 'cause the brakes failed. Two different styles and I'm such a novice it's a personal technique that works for different drivers. Great video, BTW. Summed up what we did individually, from the vids inside your car.
I felt I really hooked up well with Charlie but I think all these guys are good enough to pick out what you would need help with. However like you said Charlie's driving was more about relaxing and doing it correct before you push it to the limit. Couple of days with this type of instruction and I could really tear up the tracks down here. I plan to watch these vids quite a bit

Originally Posted by chief_charlie
Scott,
great write up, videos, and photos.
Thanks

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/2/11 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: My Track Attack day