2012-2013 BOSS 302

Mechanical changes to 2013 Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/12, 06:18 PM
RTD
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical changes to 2013 Boss?

Anyone know if the mechanical changes to the 2013 GT engine carried over to the Boss?

E.g., the 2012 Boss block has the oil squirters machined in, but has blockoff plugs installed. Does the 2013 use the 2013 GT block that doesn't have them machined in in the first place?

Also, the 2013 GT went from 12mm to 11mm headbolts, does this apply to the Boss too?

I think there were a few other changes to the 2013 regarding cooling passages in the heads and block and a tune revision. Apply to the Boss too?

Thanks.
Old 3/26/12, 07:35 PM
GT Member

They originally changed the line over to remove the oil squirters as a one time change making it permanent. Now it is going flexible. (Machined with or without them via seletor switch.) I don't know if the bolt hole changes were additional or a one time change. I think one of the oil plugs got changed also. Some of the early engines without the squiters had some minor NVH issues (in Trucks), so the squirters came back, problem solved. Those features do carry a high cost/engine when you look at all the machining investment and parts.
Old 3/26/12, 08:46 PM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boss2X
They originally changed the line over to remove the oil squirters as a one time change making it permanent. Now it is going flexible. (Machined with or without them via seletor switch.) I don't know if the bolt hole changes were additional or a one time change. I think one of the oil plugs got changed also. Some of the early engines without the squiters had some minor NVH issues (in Trucks), so the squirters came back, problem solved. Those features do carry a high cost/engine when you look at all the machining investment and parts.
So some new 5.0s are getting squirters?

What's your view on the change? Cost savings only or did they delete them for some other reason?
Old 3/28/12, 01:42 PM
GT Member

I believe it was a cost savings exercise. Only the Truck engines are getting the Squirters. I understand that the truck version takes up a higher percentage of the engine production on the line.

The Bolt Hole changes are common for both (cars & trucks) along with the oil plug diameter change. (I believe this is the plug for one end of the main gallery. I can't remember if it was the front or rear plug.)

My understanding is that the car version will not have the oil squirter hole drilled into the oil gallery. They will still machine the pad and drill & tap the squirter hold down hole.

This will help save on the cost of the plugs and hold down bolts in the car engines, since they will not be needed any longer including removing that step in the engine build line for additional savings. If you really look at it, the new engines should be slightly lighter without these extra plugs and bolts. (very minor difference, but still less weight)
Old 3/28/12, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boss2X
If you really look at it, the new engines should be slightly lighter without these extra plugs and bolts. (very minor difference, but still less weight)
I knew there was a reason I waited for a '13...