Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Looking for lightweight exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/11, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok ,I got the Corsa Muffler in today.Sounds great !.The weight reduction is 30 some odd pounds.
My take on the harness bar or roll cage is.I am not racing ,so I don’t have to worry about getting t boned or crashed into .If I was going to race I would put in a full cage welded to the chassis .The problem with a roll bar is ,they are either bolted or welded to the floor pan.In the event of a roll over or crash the roll bar just rips the floor pan up .The only way to do it is to have it welded to the frame.Other wise you are doing it in vain.I am experienced , So I know my limits and the cars.
Just my 02
Best regards
Roketman
Old 11/6/11, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adam81

By the sounds of it the harness bar would be ideal for you. The harnesses when cinched down tightly and correctly will keep you VERY firmly planted in your seat both under heavy braking and lateral g force. You will not budge at all..... It will behave the exact same way "as in a race car".

The problem with harnesses is not getting out of the car in any situation. The problem is the harnesses hold you so firmly in place that if the roof would collapse your body would not be pushed and move with the direction of the roof nor would you be able to move. It would stay exactly where it is regardless of what the car is doing around you.....
Thank you, I am looking into this and I will let you know how it works out. It looks very promising. I am doing some price comparisons and the link you sent me has good option for the harness itself. Cheers.
Old 11/6/11, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Ok ,I got the Corsa Muffler in today.Sounds great !.The weight reduction is 30 some odd pounds.
My take on the harness bar or roll cage is.I am not racing ,so I don’t have to worry about getting t boned or crashed into .If I was going to race I would put in a full cage welded to the chassis .The problem with a roll bar is ,they are either bolted or welded to the floor pan.In the event of a roll over or crash the roll bar just rips the floor pan up .The only way to do it is to have it welded to the frame.Other wise you are doing it in vain.I am experienced , So I know my limits and the cars.
Just my 02
Best regards
Roketman
Ron,

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. Yes you are not racing, but anything can happen... You (when I say you I mean anyone) may have all the experience in the world and the highest skill level.....but that doesn't mean the knuckleheads around you do.... Or when someone dumps fluids on the track you won't run over it at 140mph right at the braking zone...

You can bolt a rollbar in as long as the mounting points are adequate. I agree....you just can't built it in anywhere...but there are parts of our cars that you can and it will function the same as a weld in piece. It just has to be done properly...

And finally......Rule #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always look cool! And a sweet "racecar" rollbar sure looks pretty cool........
Old 11/6/11, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only bolt in roll bar worth a **** is the maximum motorsports one.
Old 11/6/11, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
The only bolt in roll bar worth a **** is the maximum motorsports one.
That's the one I intend on using as a foundation...
Old 2/9/12, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I picked up a Stainless Works retro "catback". This system replaces everything after the H-pipe. So there is more to it than just the axle back. The manufacturer claims 40+ lbs weight savings. I am very busy so it will be awhile before I can weigh the stock system and this one, and post sound bites. I also plan on purchasing the catless Kooks hpipe with side exhaust from CoolTech. I think a unique thing about the Boss is the quad exhaust. Should sound like.....HELL!
Old 2/11/12, 12:12 AM

I picked up a Stainless Works retro "catback". This system replaces everything after the H-pipe. So there is more to it than just the axle back. The manufacturer claims 40+ lbs weight savings. I am very busy so it will be awhile before I can weigh the stock system and this one, and post sound bites. I also plan on purchasing the catless Kooks hpipe with side exhaust from CoolTech. I think a unique thing about the Boss is the quad exhaust. Should sound like.....HELL!
Plz post vids/Sounds. The SW Retro Catback is quite possible the best sounding catback for the 5.0 Engine, i can't imagine what it would sound like from 2k-7.5k WOT in a Boss
Old 2/11/12, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

The problem with a roll bar is ,they are either bolted or welded to the floor pan.In the event of a roll over or crash the roll bar just rips the floor pan up .The only way to do it is to have it welded to the frame.Other wise you are doing it in vain.
With respect, Ron, I really have to disagree with you here. First off, there is no "frame" on the uni-bodied Mustang. So, when you say that a bolt-in bar is simply going to the floor pan and you'd really prefer to go the frame - this is misleading. Our bar, for example, is building off of a re-inforce bulkhead that ties the B-pillar, floor pan, and as much as there is a longitudinal frame, all together. It is a VERY strong point of the car. It is far, far, from the concept of tying to a stamped flat floorplan. In fact, this is the SAME bulkhead area that the OEM 302S is welded to. It literally IS the stongest point of the car in this area.

Safety is ALWAYS degrees. Full weld-in cages with multiple diagonals, etc, are generally going to be safer than a bolt-in cage. That's why there are governing bodies such as SCCA, NHRA, etc all which have strict requirements. But, before you completely disregard a bolt-in bar kit such as our own, I will submit that in my humble opinion, you have to be a little crazy to utilize shoulder harnesses in a car without added roll-over protection. This isn't just my opinion and MUCH has been written on the topic. Plain and simple, a roll-over situation - as unlikely as it might be, can very well KILL you if you have shoulder harnesses and no roll-over protection whereas you could walk away from the same accident if you had used a simple OEM single diagonal seat belt. Conversely, will our or any other roll bar guarantee your safety? The answer is no - but we can sure buy you some additional degrees of safety. This is a serious topic. You are more likely than others to know that COOL TECH LLC has built the current top speed record of ANY car at the Mojave Mile - a twin turbo, 1100RWHP Ford GT. However, we have COMPLETELY withdrawn from participation at future events - perhaps much to the dismay of some of our customers. It is NOT in our best financial interests to back away from this event but we are doing so on a principal. Shoulder harness equipped cars without roll-over protection is a recipe for disaster. I couldn't sleep at night if we had participation in an event where someone was gravely injured. Sorry to rant. If you are compelled to respond, let's please move the discussion to a roll bar thread so we don't continue to hijack the op's exhaust thread.
Old 2/12/12, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Your roll bar looks great and the mounting points look well done and safe. My experience has only been with Porsches,not mustangs .I don't claim to be an expert only a driver.If i was to do a roll bar it would be yours.
Peace and love
Old 2/12/12, 07:15 PM
V6 Member

thats what i have on my boss . ie. sw retro cb.then when summer rolls around i am going to put on the kooks heaeders and h pipe. should be nice sounding
Old 3/13/12, 12:07 PM
EJR

I recieved my bassani 3 inch catback and its very light. Weighed every piece on my scale. Totaled 46lbs including weight of x pipe and hardware. Whole catback is the weight of just the factory mufflers
Old 3/16/12, 07:10 PM
GT Member

I am running the magnaflow 15590 cat back, sounds great and has the smallest mufflers of all aftermarket so I would assume its among the lightest.
Old 3/24/12, 04:18 PM

I just installed Ford Racing M-5230-MGTCA (touring mufflers) and couldn't be happier. I think I either got lucky or it was a mistake but I picked them up for $388.98 shipped from JEGS! (they were actually drop shipped from Ford Racing). The JEGS website currently shows them for $669.99 (sorry about that)

They are quite a bit lighter than the stock units (I've read 18 Lbs) and well constucted from 304 stainless and to me sound just awesome, not too loud but have a smooth deep howl at WOT with no drone. I would imagine by the way they are constructed and sound, they must flow better than the stock units. They just make me smile is all I can say. Much better than stock. I will say that for what I paid, I think they're awesome, if I had to pay more, I might have considered other options.

I know it all comes down to preference and what you're using the car for but I can say that these mufflers are unlikely to offend your neighbors/girlfriend/wife/significant other or attract a cop looking for trouble (I live in California). I've modded quite a few cars over the years and and am always surprised when people bolt on an exhaust to a daily driver and regret it. For me this is certainly not the case with these (I considered many options). They look pretty cool too. I painted the back of the mufflers with flat black exhaust paint as other have done so that from the rear, you don't see the mufflers hanging down (looks much better than stock).
Old 4/5/12, 10:12 PM

My gt500 mufflers just arrived, and I weighted them (bathroom scale) to compare with my stock ones. They are 18 pounds each vs. 21 for the stockers. So you only save 6 pounds total, but they are larger, bigger tips and they sound 500% better. If you want a major weight savings from an axelback, get the flowmaster hushpowers (12lbs each = 18lbs less than oems). I had them on my 2011gt and they had a good mellow sound but with my bbk x-pipe I had the dreaded 2k rpm drone. I will now have to compensate for these heavy mufflers with a lightweight battery, brakes,wheels, radiator support and liposuction.
Old 4/6/12, 02:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11GrayGT
My gt500 mufflers just arrived, and I weighted them (bathroom scale) to compare with my stock ones. They are 18 pounds each vs. 21 for the stockers. So you only save 6 pounds total, but they are larger, bigger tips and they sound 500% better. If you want a major weight savings from an axelback, get the flowmaster hushpowers (12lbs each = 18lbs less than oems). I had them on my 2011gt and they had a good mellow sound but with my bbk x-pipe I had the dreaded 2k rpm drone. I will now have to compensate for these heavy mufflers with a lightweight battery, brakes,wheels, radiator support and liposuction.
i use hush power mufflers on my car, they sound great and no drone. my car with headers and catted x is quieter at idle than the car was stock, but when you get on it its much louder.