Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Looking for lightweight exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/11, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for lightweight exhaust...

Anyone have any information on lightweight exhausts. Any part of the system would be good to know about. However right now I am focused on any part where I don't have to put a tune on the car.

Let me know!

****UPDATE*****

What I have learned so far:

Stock axle back: 44.6 lbs

Magnaflow axle back straight pipes: 21.0 lbs

Corsa axle back extreme: 24.0 lbs

Stock catback (after the h pipe): 71.4 lbs

Stainless Works catback: 30.0 lbs

Magnaflow catback: 43.62

I am going to do some more researching, but there are so many exhausts out there it is sickening.... On top of that I can't find posted weights. I have to call the manufacturer..... So if anyone knows of a site that sells these things that post the weights of the exhausts.....PLEASE SHARE! For me it comes down to the lightest package at a good price, and yes it as to sound good. Rule number 1.....

Last edited by adam81; 10/24/11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10/23/11, 08:05 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Light weight exhaust??? Isn't it easier to lose weight on some other part of the car?
Old 10/23/11, 09:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Light weight exhaust??? Isn't it easier to lose weight on some other part of the car?
Easiest place to lose weight without sacrificing HP is the driver
Old 10/23/11, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Yes it is..... But that doesn't change the fact that I am looking for a lighter exhaust

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Easiest place to lose weight without sacrificing HP is the driver
Thanks Richard Simmons..... Do you know of any exhaust pieces that are on a diet?
Old 10/23/11, 11:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just run right out of the headers.. light as it gets
Old 10/24/11, 01:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Magnaflow comp catback great exhaust, it really sounds amazing with the new 4 valve 5.0.

Magnaflow - 43.62
Stock - 71.40

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_09.html
Old 10/24/11, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How light weight can your wallet take? Titanium light? You'll spend a couple grand when they're available. What part of the exhaust do you wish to lighten? Going to an O/R X-Pipe is lighter, after market cat-backs are lighter, axle-backs are lighter.

If you go with headers, they will be expensive as hell and about the same weight, if not slightly heavier, than the already light and excellent shorties that come OEM with the Mustang.

If you're set on no tuning, your only option is to do an axle-back or cat-back. Research which ones are in your price range and then, see what they weigh. Any of them are going to be lighter than the stockers.
Old 10/24/11, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
Magnaflow comp catback great exhaust, it really sounds amazing with the new 4 valve 5.0.

Magnaflow - 43.62
Stock - 71.40

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_09.html

Good stuff! Keep it coming....
Old 10/24/11, 07:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by VTXFrank

If you're set on no tuning, your only option is to do an axle-back or cat-back. Research which ones are in your price range and then, see what they weigh. Any of them are going to be lighter than the stockers.
the Roush axle backs are half the weight of the stock pieces.
Old 10/24/11, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Gary (cloud9) has Corsa Extremes and he says they saved him "about 30 lbs."

Jimmy
Old 10/24/11, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VTXFrank
How light weight can your wallet take? Titanium light? You'll spend a couple grand when they're available.

I have been doing some searching for titanium pieces but haven't seen anything. The only one I know of is the Akrapovic.

At this point I do not want to put a tune on the car. Don't want to void the warranty....

Consider this part of my research... Hopefully others can benefit from the information that gets posted here. Do you have products in mind with weight numbers?

Originally Posted by phiggs54
the Roush axle backs are half the weight of the stock pieces.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble

Jimmy

Thanks!
Old 10/24/11, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble

Jimmy
And they sounds awesome.......at least according to the Porsche guys
Old 10/24/11, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

The magnaflow comp, stainless works, and bassani cat backs look to be about the same size so prob about the same weight. The factory mid pips felt heavier even though they are 2.75 and the three i listed are 3in.

I know you said you do not want to tune the car but the factory cats weigh considerably more than a lethal or bbr off road x / h pipe.

Last edited by Mikes5.0; 10/24/11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10/24/11, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The magnaflow comp, stainless works, and bassani cat backs look to be about the same size so prob about the same weight. The factory mid pips felt heavier even though they are 2.75 and the three i listed are 3in.

I know you said you do not want to tune the car but the factory cats weigh considerably more than a lethal or bbr off road x / h pipe.
Oh I know. There is a lot to power to be made and some weight to shed. However I would like to keep the warranty.... But thanks!
Old 10/24/11, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

No prob, have you looked into a one piece drive shaft, dba 5000 rotors and maybe some lighter wheels? I think the LS wheels are around 30lbs a piece so you could probably shave some good there.
Old 10/24/11, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

I have the flowmaster hushpower on my car. the difference in size and weight was just insane. i didn't have a scale nearby, bout I would say they flows are less than half the weight of the factory parts. the best thing is they sound fraking awesome at WOT, but have no drone at all and a modest idle that wont make the neighbors mad. also you can go LTs and a catted X as well without needing a tune, assuming you don't mine the check engine light resulting from the extra distance the LTs put the o2 sensors back towards the rear of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for lightweight exhaust...-huspower-muffler.jpg   Looking for lightweight exhaust...-factory-muffler-huspower.jpg  

Last edited by ShaneM; 10/24/11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10/24/11, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

No prob, have you looked into a one piece drive shaft, dba 5000 rotors and maybe some lighter wheels? I think the LS wheels are around 30lbs a piece so you could probably shave some good there.
Yep. Picking up the driveshaft, already have the rotors, and looking into wheels now.

Once I get some more information I am going to create a "diet" thread....
Old 10/24/11, 03:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Adam,

I just wanted to repost this article for you in case you did not see it. Just because you put a tune on your car does not mean it will void the warranty.
Just to make it clear. Just because you put a part on your car it DOES NOT void your warranty. For a product to affect the warranty, there must be an investigation done by the party refuting the warranty to prove that the aftermarket product indeed caused the OEM component part to fail. Just because you put a CAI on your car it does not automatically void the warranty. The CAI would have the be the direct cause that caused the part to fail. Also, you have to remember when installing aftermarket parts you are responsible to care and drive the car in a non malicious way - because no warranty covers "abuse" .

When you are installing Steeda parts on your cars, please note that we are giving you the benefit of a component part that indeed will work as advertised and will not cause a direct component failure on your car. We work very closely with Ford and develop our performance parts and accessories so that they perform as necessary and will not cause another component to fail. All of our parts are engineered uner strict ISO 9001-2008 certificatied standards and are specifically designed to provide worry free operation. They carry a lifetime warranty and we have never had an instance of a Ford vehicle having it's warranty refuted due to a direct result of our parts.

Steeda Autosports is a company that will stand by you in case something does happen. If a dealer does not want to service a warranty claim, then Steeda will provide the necessary support through either the dealer or will work with Ford Motor Company to get your vehicle serviced. Steeda has never had an issue with a warranty claim. All of our products are tested and proven not to exceed recommend testin.. Steeda backs its products 100% so you never have to worry about being left behind.

We have several upgrades for the boss 302 if you are interested in giving us a call. We can take your car to a new level.

Last edited by tj@steeda; 10/24/11 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10/24/11, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Yep. Picking up the driveshaft, already have the rotors, and looking into wheels now.

Once I get some more information I am going to create a "diet" thread....
Im looking forward the diet thread. I was around 3550 before the exhaust install. My car is the base with only brembos, so no heavy leather or sound system.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10/24/11, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

TJ,

I appreciate the post. I will be giving you guys a call to discuss some things. However I am still pretty apprehensive about the whole thing....

Quick Reply: Looking for lightweight exhaust...