Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Jimmy's Boss Thread

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 08:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
From a Kona owner, you really want this color . Sonic just doesn't have the same look.
That's my conclusion as well. The only positive about Sonic is it's a bit lighter. Regardless I can't control it so build my Boss on June 6th in either color and I'll be happy.

@ Chris, do you have any inside scoop you can share? Again I should have my window sticker any day and the first think I'll look for is the color.
Old 5/25/11, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Jimmy, just to clarify.
Are you still looking for a Boss (Kona or otherwise)?
Or has the deployment to New Zealand nixed the whole quest?
Old 5/25/11, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
So Jimmy, just to clarify.
Are you still looking for a Boss (Kona or otherwise)?
Or has the deployment to New Zealand nixed the whole quest?
I have a Q3 Boss coming no matter what. The quest (and yes, it is a quest), has been for the color.

Jimmy
Old 5/27/11, 11:03 PM
GT Member

From my personal blog here. Chapter 3.

(Ch. 3) Happy birthday, baby Boss!

At the end of the last chapter, I had thrown in the towel in my search for a Kona Blue Boss 302 Mustang. I had a Q3 allocation secured, but the dealer told me that Kona Blue had been discontinued. I would need to choose another color. He said that cars built after May 25, would not be made in Kona Blue. He provided a list of every dealer that had a Kona Blue Boss, but my calls yielded nothing. The cars had been sold, or were commanding premium prices over sticker. I had already started changing my Boss wallpapers to other colors to help see what I thought about them over time. I had been beaten. This new girl was already breaking my heart.

After my public wailing and gnashing of teeth, another helpful forum member found three more cars that hadn’t been on my previous list. But with an imminent business trip overseas, I had no time to make anything happen, even if I could find an unclaimed car for MSRP. I looked at the leads. One was in Kansas City and two were in Texas. Alright, I would call the dealers in Texas and then move on.

First up was a dealer in Arlington. To my surprise, things fell into place quickly. The dealer found the car in his system and after a check to make sure that nobody had already claimed it, he said we were free to deal on it. I told him that I already had a car for MSRP, so I wasn’t going to pay anything over. He seemed agreeable to that and emailed me the complete pricing, including TT&L. Sure enough, it was MSRP. I printed it out, signed it, scanned it, and emailed it back. I couldn’t believe it was really happening. I was ecstatic! The dealer said he would call back to get my credit card information for the deposit. I sent a text to my wife – I think it is happening! And then I got the email from the dealer saying that I had been punk’d. He took the deal to the GM for his signature and he said they needed more money. They had given me a price, asked for my word by way of a signature, and then tried to shake me down for more money. They had also wasted half of my day doing this. I was so full of righteous fury that I briefly caught on fire.

With nothing left to lose, I called the last dealer, located in McKinney, Texas. This would be it. The Hail Mary. It didn’t start well. I called the number that was on the website and it rang at some guy’s house! He told me he wouldn’t be in that day and that I should call his partner. “He should be at work,” he said. Sigh. So, I called his partner, Butch. Nice enough fella, but he didn’t know anything about a Boss and he would have to ask the GM if anybody had put any money down on it. Unfortunately, the GM only worked until 10 am that day. Somebody kill me. Butch promised to call me back the next day. Whatever. This didn’t seem like it was going to amount to anything. I was making my peace.

The next day, he didn’t call back. Honestly, no surprise, so I blew it off. I had work to do. Then today, being the Friday before Memorial Day, I decided to call Butch back, just to get this over and done. I left a message and he called back, saying that everything looked good. Sure enough, they had a Boss coming-in and nobody had claimed it. I could leave a deposit immediately. I told him I wouldn’t let him off the phone until he had taken my money. He took a few nerve-racking minutes finding out if they accepted American Express, but he finally said that it was good, he took my information, and he sent me the receipt. I signed the receipt and sent it back. I won’t lie, it was like deja vu all over again, but this time, actual money had exchanged hands. Did that mean anything? I don’t know. I’m not a lawyer. I thought signed contracts meant something. I was learning all kinds of new things and none of them were giving me any confidence in this transaction. Still, everything seemed correct.

Butch promised another email with information about my car. An hour passed. Then another. Uh oh. Then my phone rang. It was Butch. Where was my email? Why was he calling me? I knew the moment that he started talking that something was wrong. “Mr. Pribble, I started looking through the paperwork on this car and..well sir…this car isn’t blue, it’s red.” You know those depth-of-field rack shots in the movies where the person stands in shock, while the background looks like it gets further and further away? Yeah, that happened to me. Butch sent me the paperwork and sure enough, it said Race Red. Maybe my lead was wrong. Maybe my helpful forum member had made a mistake. This was a disaster. I sent a PM back to the tipster asking if he had more details on the order. I explained what happened and said I needed his help. I had no idea who this guy was, so I might not even hear from him again. But, he responded in less than five minutes. He sent a link to the window sticker and said, “Doesn’t say red to me…” I sent the link back to Butch and asked him to look into it. Then I waited. I saw that the VIN numbers were different. Butch said they only had one Boss coming. Maybe the blue car was going to a different dealer. It might have been one that I had already called about. This was just the final joke on me, some sort of Karmic justice, curse, or lesson.

The email from Butch said Looks like a winner!!!!!!!!!!! And that was that. With the help of numerous generous people, I had done it! I was still feeling a little once bitten and twice shy, so I wasn’t exactly coming out of my skin in joy. I guess I’ll really truly believe it when I’m driving it. But according to the paperwork, that drive should be happening in less than a month. In fact, as we started looking at the tracking reports, it became clear that my car had been born…today! Mazel Tov, my Kona Blue beauty. Happy birthday, little baby Boss.

jimmy
Old 5/28/11, 01:04 AM
V6 Member

Sweet! Chapter 4 - Kona Blue in the driveway
Old 5/28/11, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Great News Jimmy!
Glad you got your baby on the way!

A lesson to all on the sidelines - Perseverance Pays!!!
Go out and find YOUR baby…..
Old 5/28/11, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Great news! Can't wait for you to get this bad boy!
Old 5/28/11, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

A very cool read, Mr. Pribble! Congratulations!

Now, just keep praying that your car doesn't end up like my brothers Laguna Seca, laying on it's side in a derailed train. I'll keep my fingers crossed and think only good thoughts for yours to arrive safely!
Old 5/28/11, 08:19 AM
FR500 Member

Old 5/28/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Always a good read!
Old 5/28/11, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Thanks, guys! It has been great to have all of the support through this crazy trip. I had leads from at least half-a-dozen forum members as well as the mega-list, which I got from the very dealer that was basically helping me walk away from his sale. I can't thank everyone enough. I also can't recommend Jordan Ford in San Antonio more highly.

I was exhausted (and a couple of margaritas in the bag), when I wrote my post and I noticed that I didn't explain the red car - blue car situation. Basically, the dealer thought they only had one Boss coming. Since the red one is almost in transit, that was the only one on their radar. But, they had a second one way back in the pipeline. My tipster knew about it.

Yes, I am looking forward to some serious posts now. Next chapter should be at the end of June and it will be a good one.

Jimmy
Old 5/28/11, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Jimmy, how about posting up the ADM switch dealer in Arlington, TX so all can AVOID!!!
Old 6/15/11, 02:00 AM
GT Member

Chapter 3.5

Not enough for a full update, but I'm so excited that I just have to make some kind of report.

All along, my plan has been to track the delivery of my car using all available resources, up to and including
Ford's customer service, automated rail car tracking, GPS, assets on the ground in Michigan, and the retasking
of Keyhole spy satellites. I was going to jump the train, break into my own car, and give live reports from the
track as the train travelled to Texas. I was going to record the transfer to a truck, then the delivery to the
dealership, do the PDI myself and then track the car all the way into my garage, all recorded in HD video. Man plans, God laughs.

Here are the updates I got from my dealer:
  • May 31 - In production. Autoalliance International Inc. MI.
  • June 3 - It's built awaiting shipment.
  • June 6 - Mustang is at a ramp to be loaded soon.
  • June 10 - Ramp 5P Flatrock, MI.
  • June 14 - "Let me know what day you’d like to get your BOSS Mustang. It’s here at the dealership. Wild looking car."
My disappointment at not being able to go all OCD on tracking the car has been tempered at my excitement at the arrival of the car, which has been tempered by the fact that...I'm in New Zealand.

For the record, my car's ETA was June 17 and it was delivered on June 14, so unlike some of my fellow forum members, they delivered the car early!

The dealer sent me the photo above. The first baby photo. I'm so proud.

Chapter 4 will either be about me taking delivery, or at least my first impressions of the car. I might be hitting the track as early as July 4th weekend.

Jimmy
Old 6/15/11, 04:27 AM
FR500 Member

congrats! My story is paralleling yours. I too received a pic of mine yesterday. Will only be able to pick it up next week.
Old 6/15/11, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble

The dealer sent me the photo above. The first baby photo. I'm so proud.

Jimmy
Man that car is TASTY! Lucky man!! Happy for you. Can't wait for you to pick it up.
Old 6/15/11, 08:22 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Jimmy, congratulations. I hope mine arrives early too!
Old 6/15/11, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford may be setting expections lower now . . . Mine had an ETA of 6/16 and it came in on 6/5! Crazy part is that mine was build and released from the plant on Saturday shipped out and arrived at my dealer on Sunday and I picked it up on Monday!!

Congrats on the Boss!!!
Old 6/15/11, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats Jimmy! It's been quite the trip but it will all be worth it.
Old 6/16/11, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Very nice ride > Did you take note that the front license plate bracket is already mounted?
Old 6/16/11, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Great looking car! Can't wait to hear more about it

Quick Reply: Jimmy's Boss Thread