Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Jimmy's Boss Thread

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/11, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy's Boss Thread

I feel like a schizophrenic trying to keep-up with some of your stories. Most of us post on multiple forums and then of course, we are in multiple threads within each. It's very common to go off-topic and post the latest news about your car delivery in the "HomeLink Mirror" thread. It's all part of the wonderfulness of the forum world, but I like to be tidy, so I'm going to start a thread about my adventures with my car.

I just posted the first chapter on my personal blog here. The formatting and photos will be better there, but I will copy the full text here. No news yet, but this is the story of what happened when I first saw the Boss. Enjoy!

(Ch.1) 2012 Boss 302

I tried being an adult, but it didn't work out.

In 2005, Ford released the current (fifth generation) Mustang body style, designated the S197. Under leadership of Global Vice President of Design for Ford, J Mays (who designed the Audi 100 and Audi Avus, among other things), the new Mustang was a retro-futurist redesign that drew from the 1968 Mustang fastback, which was perhaps the best looking Mustang of all time. It was beautiful. In 2007, Ford released the Shelby GT500 and it looked even better. I showed Mrs. Pribble the photos and she agreed that it was hot. She likes muscle cars even more than I do, so we kept an open mind. But, the Shelby was very expensive and though its massive engine was good for blackout-levels of straight-line acceleration, reports from the road courses (where I like to drive), were that the car was unbalanced and it would just pirouette around the heavy engine. In 2008, Ford released the Mustang Bullitt. Ford was closer than ever to my ideal Mustang. The Bullitt forewent the supercharged engine of the Shelby, starting instead with a standard Mustang GT and revising everything slightly in the right direction. The Bullitt was a factory-tuned Mustang with more power, a better suspension, and the looks of Steve McQueen’s Dark Highland Green GT-390 fastback, from the eponymous movie. It was an amazing package and a peek into my computer’s photo archive gives away my interest in the car (it gives away my interest in Zooey Deschanel, too, but that’s another story).

But wait, was I really in the market for a Mustang? Aren’t I an Audi man? Time for a quick history lesson. The early part of my driving life was done almost exclusively in American cars with V8 engines. I learned how to drive in mom’s Pontiac Catalina wagon and dad’s Pontiac Grand Prix, which had a huge 400 CID engine. The first car I ever crashed was a V8 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, which belonged to a friend’s mom. The first vehicle that I ever owned was a V8 Ford F100 and before I was out of high school, I had traded-up to a V8 Chevrolet Camaro. My first experience in a Mustang…my first driving experience in a Mustang, was in a maroon 1967 with a 289 CD engine, that belonged to a high school girlfriend. I loved that car. It looked beautiful, it felt powerful, and it made a great noise. It was impossibly cool. Unfortunately, it couldn’t handle its way out of a paper bag and I crashed that car, too. I drove an enormous V8 Cadillac to prom.

For the next 26 years, I would drive mostly import cars. Only twice did I go back to an American car and both times, it was for a Mustang. I had a 1966, but it had an inline six cylinder engine and basically, wasn’t very special. It was also falling apart and I couldn’t afford to fix it up. So, I traded it for a TV. I also had a 1985 Mustang GT 5.0. Now that was a really good car. Unfortunately, it suffered a bad engine fire and I couldn’t afford to fix it up. So, I sold it. Even though both of my Mustangs left my care prematurely and under dubious conditions, I maintain that these cars are my legitimate bona fides as a genuine Mustang fan.

Still, that last Mustang was a very long time ago. Since then, I have run a nationally recognized Audi website, been the president of a local Audi club, built a dedicated Audi track car, and written for the Examiner.com as their Austin Audi Examiner. I have driven halfway across the country to buy an Audi. I still race an Audi and of course, my daily driver is an Audi. Any statisticians out there see a trend?

Many years ago, when I first showed my Audi S4 to my friend, Charles Braden, I asked him what he thought about it. He turned to me and said only, “Teutonic.” He was right. My car is very German. It’s solid, sober, even serious. There is nothing flash about it. It just goes about its business quickly and efficiently. It is capable on the street, out on the open road, and even on the track. It’s not fun on the track, mind you, just capable. It might not be the best at any given thing, but it is good at everything. It is a car for a man in a suit. It is a car for a grown-up.

However, it is seventeen years-old and Mrs. Pribble and I felt like it was getting time to look for a new daily driver. Naturally, I started thinking about a newer Audi. But for the first time in a long time, I also started thinking about the joys of driving a V8. Now, all of my Audis have been turbocharged, but as it happens, Audi makes a very good V8. I began to consider a V8 S4, or even better, an S5. I love the S5. It is elegant and beautiful, inside and out. It has the latest in automotive electronics. And it is powered by a high-tech V8. It’s fast, luxurious, and capable. It is good at everything. It is a car for a man in a suit. It is a car for a grown-up. Perfect.

And then, in August of 2010, Ford held a press conference at Mazda raceway Laguna Seca and they brought this:

What new devilry was this? What was this harlet brazenly bringing my blood to a boil? And if my blood was boiling so, then why was I shivering when I looked upon it? What was happening to me? Ford talked about the 5.0 liter, 444 hp engine, which they had code-named Coyote. They said the engine would rev to 7500 rpm. They said the suspension had been developed so that this car could beat a BMW M3 at Laguna Seca. They wouldn’t release the car until it could do that. It can. They said that the car had to be good enough to deserve the legendary name Boss 302, which had only been given to Mustangs specifically built for road racing in 1969-1970. In 1970, Parnelli Jones won a championship with one. Nothing has been called a Boss since. Until now. Ford says the new Boss 302 is the best Mustang they have ever made.

Lust makes men do funny things. How could I want this? Just look at her, this kid with her shock of hair dyed white and her tattoos. Listen to her loud voice. She is even bipolar! The Boss comes with two keys – a black one and a red one. When you start her with the black one, she is calm enough to be driven to work. When you put the red one in, she becomes a wild child. She becomes a little hard to handle. She does bad things.

How could I be seen with her? I’m middle-aged. I’m a grown-up. I drive German luxury sedans that are serious. Heads of State are driven in Audis. But this curvy punk-rock girl doesn’t care about being serious. She is promising other things. She is promising to be wicked and fun. She is promising to go faster and faster. She is promising to wake the neighbors. I loosen my tie. Maybe I am not as grown-up as I thought. What will people say when we drive by? I have decided that I don’t care. I just know that I must have her.

- jimmy
Old 5/15/11, 11:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

"Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now"

I still listen to punk rock. My favorite quote from your excellent article:

"But this curvy punk-rock girl doesn’t care about being serious. She is promising other things. She is promising to be wicked and fun. She is promising to go faster and faster. She is promising to wake the neighbors. I loosen my tie. Maybe I am not as grown-up as I thought. What will people say when we drive by? I have decided that I don’t care. I just know that I must have her."

I'm with you 100%.
Old 5/15/11, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!
How articulate!!!

Little did I know who I was helping out! Now we MUST find you that special Kona mistress!

Jimmy, great, great blog. Keep them coming. Your past is very interesting...
Old 5/15/11, 12:28 PM
GT Member

I sold an '08 RS4 last fall and my next car will likely be a 2013 B302, or possibly a 2012 GT500.
Old 5/15/11, 01:08 PM
GT Member

Very entertaining -

BTW, S5's still make my neck twist & turn!!
Old 5/15/11, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I love your color combo!

If you ever change your mind and think the Bullitt is better we can trade. I want you to have that option...
Old 5/15/11, 06:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great writeup Jimmy. Welcome to my world. Coming home from work last Friday, I drove by my wife walking in my neighborhood. She said you look funny driving that car in a suit. All I could do was laugh and say, thanks I always tell people the biggest reason I love the road course is the chance to be seventeen and not worry about getting pulled over.
Old 5/15/11, 07:03 PM
GT Member

... da**it, Jimmy! Don't you know that automotive journalists aren't supposed to use proper grammar? And they're definitely NOT supposed to create fluid, descriptive and imaginative prose!

So, what do you REALLY do for a living?

...looking forward to reading "the rest of the story".
Old 5/15/11, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I'm thrilled that you guys liked the story and I'm humbled at your kind comments. Seriously, that means the world to me. Let's face it, there are very few people who will buy this car, just because of the spec sheet. It's a good spec sheet for sure, but I'm guessing if you are on this forum and you are going crazy waiting for the car, then it probably got you in your heart, your guts, your *****...whatever. I have been a car guy long enough to know this is true and I just wanted to express what many of us have felt.

Don't forget, Silverback, the combo I ordered is in jeopardy. I'm not out of the woods, yet. Check the "Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone!" thread.

Okay, I'll get on (Ch.2) ASAP.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Old 5/16/11, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

What a great write-up, as somebody who wears a suit to work, I understand.
Old 5/16/11, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Great article!! That's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!!

I think it is absolutely awesome that guys who are currently or historically driving German sport sedans are lusting after Mustangs - it shows that it truly is a fun, world class car. Mustang guys already knew this, but 10 years ago, would a BMW guy have given a 2002 Mustang a second thought? Well done, Ford.
Old 5/16/11, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD

I think it is absolutely awesome that guys who are currently or historically driving German sport sedans are lusting after Mustangs - it shows that it truly is a fun, world class car. Mustang guys already knew this, but 10 years ago, would a BMW guy have given a 2002 Mustang a second thought? Well done, Ford.
Yup - never thought I'd own one. A Very Well Done, FORD!
Old 5/16/11, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by VALCAD

I've owned a couple of 911's and this will be my first Mustang but not my first Ford. Adding the 5 DOT 0 to the S197 platform really takes the Mustang to the next level. After the great write ups last summer I drove a Roush Stage 2 and I was very impressed. After that drive I knew there was finally going to be a Mustang in my garage. . It will be close to one year between that Roush test drive and the arrival of my Boss 302 and I have no doubt the wait will be worth it.
Old 5/24/11, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Latest chapter from my personal blog here. Yes, it's mostly about my color angst. I hope you enjoy it.

(Ch.2) Looking for Ms. Goodboss

Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone

In the 1977 film Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Diane Keaton plays a woman looking for her ideal man, whom she calls Mr. Goodbar, to take her away from her mundane life and into a world of excitement. In a similar way, I was looking for a car that could do the same thing for me. But like the character from the film, instead of finding something solid and dependable for the long haul, I was drawn to something far more dangerous and against my better judgement, I fell hard for a bipolar, punk-rock girl with an attitude - a 2012 Boss 302. She is my Ms. Goodboss. Or, she would be if I could have her the way I first saw her. But this wild animal is already breaking my heart.

Let me back-up just a bit. As soon as I was cleared to buy the car, I rushed to my local dealer to place my order. Unfortunately, like many other dealers, they felt the Boss commanded additional dealer markup (ADM) over MSRP. I don't disagree with their point-of-view, but I could never pay over sticker price for a car. So, I walked-out and called Jordan Ford in San Antonio, just over an hour away from where I live, and we made a deal for MSRP right over the phone. Everyone was pleasant, we exchanged some money and paperwork and it was done. It was a wonderful experience. I ordered the car with the Recaro seats and Torsen performance differential package, but skipped the floor mats and car cover. That's it - those were the only two options, except for color. There was really only one choice possible for me - the same deep Kona Blue as the first pre-production Boss 302 I had seen in August 2010.

I have always loved dark blue, midnight blue, as a car color, though I have only owned one car in that hue. I like the blue to be so dark that any time after dusk, the car looks black. The Kona Blue fit the bill. I admit that I had reservations about the white markings, specifically the white roof. But after studying every photograph that I could find, I decided the retro paint scheme, based on 1960's race livery, was something I liked. One of my racing heroes, Dan Gurney, even drove a blue and white Boss 302. So, on March 22, I ordered the car in Kona Blue and then settled-in for the long wait. Despite moving quickly, early Boss allocations were snatched-up and my order wouldn't be built and delivered until Q3. I had months to wait.

Dan Gurney and his 1969 Boss 302

I spent my idle time on the forums with all of the other waiters, agonizing over every piece of trivial news we discovered about the Boss. Eventually, the first delivers were made and we desperately tried to experience the Boss vicariously, through the lucky new owners. I followed the Boss 302S and the Boss 302R, racing in the World Challenge GTS and Grand-Am GS series, respectively. I collected photos and videos of every Boss I could find. I bought every magazine with the Boss on the cover. I made every wallpaper a Kona Blue Boss.

Then, a few weeks ago, my salesman from Jordan Ford called me and left a message. He needed me to call him back right away. I called back and he had some bad news. The earthquake in Japan had taken down a plant that manufactured an ingredient contained within certain Ford paints. Kona Blue was to be discontinued and I would have to choose another color. I couldn't believe it. I broke the news on the forums and asked for leads on any of the remaining Kona Blue cars. There were a few tips, but most of them led to dealers who were already catching wind of the situation. Overnight, Kona Blue had become a "rare" color and commanded ADM over sticker price.

Then a few forum members contacted me with information that indicated that Kona Blue was not heavily drawn as a color choice, so if I stuck to my guns, my car might be built the way I wanted, before they ran out of paint. That seemed plausible to me and I started to calm down. I wasn't having any other luck, anyway. Then I thought I would try a different strategy. If I was going to keep my order the way it was, why not see if I could get my order moved-up? It's not my fault they couldn't supply my color. I had a legitimate complaint. The fact is, at that time, they were still building cars in Kona Blue. I just needed to demand that they build my car right away. I wrote an email to Jordan Ford outlining my plan and asking that they forward my letter to somebody at Ford who could help me. A couple of days later, a manager from the dealership called. They had done everything they could. They had even talked another customer with a Boss order to trade places with me, so that I could have the earlier allocation. But, it was too late. There was no way to move the order up fast enough. The dealer told me that Ford would discontinue Kona Blue on May 25. He was very sorry.

I was distraught. Who did I have to f*** to get my car in Kona Blue?

Then, about an hour later (and without me asking for it), the dealer sent me a list of every Kona Blue that was on a lot or on the way to a lot! He had included the dealer name and phone numbers. There were only about ten left. I started calling. "Do you still have a Boss Mustang for sale?" I would ask. "I did two days ago. Sold it on Monday." I rang off and tried another. Sold. Then another. $5000 ADM. Another. Sold. Sold. Open bidding. $10,000 ADM. Sold. Open Bidding. I exhausted the list with no luck. I put my name down on all of the remaining cars as a guaranteed MSRP deal, just in case the big-money guys evaporated. Still, it looked hopeless. At best, there were less than half-a-dozen Kona Blue cars remaining that weren't spoken-for.

Today, I got word from my employer that I would be going back to New Zealand on business in just a couple of weeks. And that is that. Even if something were to come up, the time I would have to make a move just vanished. I think I hear the fat lady singing. Or, is that the siren song from my snarling punk-rock girl? You b**** goddess, I still want you. Did I mention that Looking for Mr. Goodbar doesn't end well?

jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy Pribble; 5/24/11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 11:09 PM

Nice update. The 302R runs in the Grand AM Grand Sport class. We'll find out if May 25th is the last day very soon. I hope it's not as my car is scheduled for production on June 6th and my window sticker could be available in a couple of days. I won't lose a lot of sleep if it's sonic blue but I'd prefer kona blue.
Old 5/24/11, 11:15 PM
GT Member

[QUOTE=Jimmy Pribble;6079682][Did I mention that Looking for Mr. Goodbar doesn't end well?/QUOTE]

I never watched that movie again for that very reason............ Here's hoping your story ends better.............
Old 5/24/11, 11:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Nice update. The 302R runs in the Grand AM Grand Sport class.
D'oh, I knew I would mess that up. All fixed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
We'll find out if May 25th is the last day very soon. I hope it's not as my car is scheduled for production on June 6th and my window sticker could be available in a couple of days. I won't lose a lot of sleep if it's sonic blue but I'd prefer kona blue.
Trust me. I hope he is wrong. Somebody in the Kona Blue thread seemed to have the ability to pull a weekly material report that showed if a color was online that week. Maybe we'll bump that thread next week to see what's what.

Jimmy
Old 5/25/11, 06:03 AM
GT Member

<reaching for the tissues, a little choked up>

Kinda like Wally World being closed - you need to take a hostage!
Old 5/25/11, 08:00 AM
FR500 Member

You have a PM Jimmy.
Old 5/25/11, 08:10 AM
GTR Member

I asked Five Oh Brian a question that might interest you. Basically wondering if Kona is done for Mustang, being re-allocated to other vehicles, or if it's a temporary setback from the Japan disasters. I'm still waiting for a response. From a Kona owner, you really want this color . Sonic just doesn't have the same look.

Quick Reply: Jimmy's Boss Thread