2012-2013 BOSS 302

If FOMOCO does not make a 2014 Boss, all bets are off?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/11 | 04:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Thanks Rick.....I pride myself on keeping tabs on the latest rumours, so was worried I'd missed a trick!

Never underestimate the power of the internet though........we could end up with a self-fullfilling prophecy

So......

'14 Boss 351 or Boss 429 please
A limited run boss 429 would be awesome!! 500+ naturally aspirated HP!!
Old 12/9/11 | 06:20 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by askjeffro
I have my sources!
I think you need new sources.
Old 12/9/11 | 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eladoppel

I was driving on the Ohio turnpike a few days ago (in early December!) and was passed by a yellow De Tomaso Pantera. I was so shocked that I called one of my car buddies and told him about it. He's about 45 and said he'd seen pictures, but never seen one on the road. I am (slightly?) older and had to admit I remember when they were new.
By the way, I agree that the Boss is a GREAT car after just under 4,000 miles on mine. I also have to agree that we need to buy these cars while we can. We may be able to get 400 + HP cars in the future, but the price will most likely go up....A LOT.
My Pantera:

http://www.sandiegopanteras.com/ForS...ges/5606-1.jpg

...and YES, it did have a 351 Cleveland:

http://www.sandiegopanteras.com/ForS...ges/5606-2.jpg

...more 351 Cleveland:

http://www.sandiegopanteras.com/ForS...ges/5606-3.jpg

Last edited by four-walling; 12/9/11 at 07:55 PM. Reason: update link
Old 12/9/11 | 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
What do you mean by "all bets are off" ?
I should have said I was thinking in regards to the Boss future value.

I think it will be better then what people are expecting it to be.

And, I will go out on a limb and say the 2012 model year in particular.
Old 12/9/11 | 07:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Kerry, one of my all-time favorite cars and yours is beauty. Do you still have it?

Old 12/9/11 | 07:59 PM
GT Member

No, I sold the vehicle in November to a resident of Holland who flew over to buy it. He said the car will bring double in Holland what it will bring in the U.S.

Last edited by four-walling; 12/9/11 at 10:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12/10/11 | 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Smile

I dont think there is a need for doom and gloom about the future of the Boss Mustang. Ford has created a market for a good handling car like the Boss 302. As long as there are enthusiasts who want a good handling car with good power levels, Ford will most likely continue to make it. The 2015 Mustang should be able to continue to offer a chassis for an even better Boss. The Camaro enthusiast want a good handling and nimble car they can call a Z28. You all know Ford will not hand the market for such a car to GM, I would think.
Old 12/15/11 | 12:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Unless Ford has plans to add TiVCT to the 5.8L I don't see much point in building a naturally aspirated Boss 351. Besides, the '71 Boss 351 was built with a completely different body style than the '70 Boss 302 so putting the 5.8 in a 2014 would not exactly be repeating history.
Old 12/15/11 | 10:00 AM

All bets on what?
Old 12/15/11 | 10:02 AM

At any rate, we are much more technologically advanced than we were in 1974 and emissions compliance while maintaining performance is no longer a black art. Just look at the current 5.0, which is an LEV while pushing out over 400hp. I think there may be small power plateaus that happen as various mandates take effect, but they will be overcome quickly.
Old 12/16/11 | 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

I am not a proponent of IRS, but I could see myself buying a lighter weight 2016 Boss with IRS. That would be an awsun Boss.
Old 12/16/11 | 03:04 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I don't think we have a massive decline in HP over the next few decades
......so this time it'll be different...
since the eighties, HP has been increasing mostly due to technology advances in the engines.
so if technology leaves the automotive industry and we go back to carb's

and
since the industry has now opened door to hybrid and electric cars,
I think high HP V8 gas powered will continue to keep the hp guys like us in gas powered cars...
UNTIL they make a 500hp electric car....
Old 12/16/11 | 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

performance cars will hardly change. there is a loop hole in the way the CAFE numbers are figured and its based on track x wheelbase in a nutshell to get into the less stringent fuel ratings that trucks are getting all they need do is make the vehicle have a longer wheelbase and a wider track. basically we will see larger vehicles come back, and then more EVs and hybrids. these aren't coming because they are selling, but because they have to make them to average out the fleet. ford has the focus Ev rolling off at nearly $40k a pop. it wont sell, but make a few thousand of them and then you can have all the trucks and performance cars pretty much unchanged.

As for the GT500, its gone after 13 anyway, that was shelby's decision to focus on performance parts. IMHO we wont see another Boss car, they really don't have the engines in play (at least not that i can think of right now) for the 429 or 351 and they won't abandon the 5.0. I call the return of the Cobra in 14 with a ecoboost twin turbo 5.0. they set the bar at 650hp with the Shelby, the Cobra will rock closer to 700hp and have a price that makes us feel like adm on the boss was a good deal. i also call paddle shift autos as an option. the 5.0 will also get direct injection. it would be interesting to see a KERS system on a Stang, that would boost economy in testing. couple the tech the stang doesn't use today with the fact that we know the next car will be smaller and lighter and significantly higher fuel economy isn't hard to predict. testing got 24mpg as the 11 GT sat, I bet 30mpg in a 400+hp Stang isn't out of the question. I wont be surprised at all to see the next GT get a 7-speed manual or higher just for the super cruise economy and they haven't even played with start/stop and cylinder deactivation. we have a long, long way to go yet on fuel economy out of the mustang.

Last edited by ShaneM; 12/16/11 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12/16/11 | 07:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eladoppel

I was driving on the Ohio turnpike a few days ago (in early December!) and was passed by a yellow De Tomaso Pantera. I was so shocked that I called one of my car buddies and told him about it. He's about 45 and said he'd seen pictures, but never seen one on the road. I am (slightly?) older and had to admit I remember when they were new.
By the way, I agree that the Boss is a GREAT car after just under 4,000 miles on mine. I also have to agree that we need to buy these cars while we can. We may be able to get 400 + HP cars in the future, but the price will most likely go up....A LOT.
I RODE IN ONE OF THE BEST...

DE TOMASO MANGUSTA

The Mangusta replaced the Vallelunga model, on which its chassis was based.[2] The word "Mangusta" is Italian for "Mongoose", an animal that can kill cobras. It was rumored that the car was so named because De Tomaso had some talks with Carroll Shelby to replace Shelby Cobra with a racing car built in Italy by the argentinian ("De Tomaso Sport 5000" a.k.a. "De Tomaso P70")[3], but no deal was signed since Shelby was involved by Ford into Ford GT40 racing programme. Nevertheless, Alessandro DeTomaso and Carroll Shelby were friends[citation needed] and business is business, so it is also rumored that the initial 200 engines for the Mangusta did come from Shelby. The Mangusta was replaced by the much cheaper to build De Tomaso Pantera in 1971.
401 Mangustas were built, about 150 of the European version, with four headlamps and Ford 289 Cu.In. engine; and the rest are USA version, with 2 "pop up" headlamps and less powerful Ford 302 engines. One car was built with a Chevrolet engine for General Motors Vice President, Bill Mitchell[4]. There are reported to be fewer than 170 left in existence, according to the three available registries.

Originally fitted with Ford 289 V8 engine mid-mounted 306 horsepower (228 kW) (Eu version), in the North American market the Mangusta was introduced with a Ford 302 V8 engine 220 horsepower (160 kW), driving through a 5 speed ZF transaxle. Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the car, which is easily recognised by its gull wing doors over the engine and luggage compartment. Disc brakes were fitted at all four corners. Top speed was claimed to be 250 km/h (155 mph).[

Some cool fact...
Old 12/16/11 | 07:19 PM
GT Member

One car was built with a Chevrolet engine for General Motors Vice President, Bill Mitchel

This car was much slower and wishes to this day it had a Blue Oval in it`s mid section!!

BOSS 228

Last edited by mackds; 12/16/11 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12/17/11 | 08:01 AM
GT Member

I still say these performance cars will be going away. Sure Ford can now make a 400+ hp car that gets 26 mpg, but that's clearly not going to be enough. While there are tricks they can use, like lengthening the wheelbase to circumvent the rules, the fuel standards are so high as to be insurmountable. I agree there will be Boss Mustangs and other specialty (read: very low volume) cars to be had, for a price. What there won't be is a flood of 150,000 Mustangs per year getting 26mpg and an equal number of Camaros. These fuel standards are serious business just like the pollution control standards were decades ago. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill but it's good to know this so you can get in on the action now while you still can. Remember, it took over 30 years for manufacturers to overcome pollution/safety mandates to produce what we have today. These are, as the song says, the good old days.
Old 12/17/11 | 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Some folks need to educate themselves on how the CAFE regulations are done/applied to car manufacturers.

Our V8's aren't going to disappear anytime soon.
Old 12/17/11 | 12:34 PM
GT Member

I'm confused as to how a 26mpg car is suddenly in compliance when the fleet average is 55mpg, even discounting the electric and hybrid vehicles mixed in. Bottom line, they CAN'T make the modern mustang or camaro. At least in current numbers.
Not only are most v-8s going to disappear in cars, but all current vehicles are going to experience massive weight loss. Wishing manufacturers to keep making bigger, more powerful engines doesn't make it so. I know, I was around the first time the gov't tidal wave of regulations hit. These future regs are not a joke.
Old 12/17/11 | 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Smile

I agree with exchallenger, we are living in the best of times. Cars like the 2013 GT500 may not be around much longer, that is why I am not going to wait to buy a 2014 GT500. I am not taking a chance to see if there will or will not be a 2014 GT500. However, I think Ford will continue to make the Boss for several more years. The Boss will be a more suitable car for the times in the future. The future Boss will be a very nimble and responsive car with an efficient V8,probably the only Mustang with a V8.
Old 12/17/11 | 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

As for the GT500, its gone after 13 anyway, that was shelby's decision to focus on performance parts.
They won't be retrofitting cars in Las Vegas as per their business operation there, but I don't necessarily see Ford stopping to build a GT500 in Flat Rock.

Quick Reply: If FOMOCO does not make a 2014 Boss, all bets are off?