Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

I can't believe I'm considering this.....

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 10:08 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You want show, get the Challenger...
You want show and GO... get the BOSS

And seriously..they just literally showed the car not 2 months ago....and you expect EVERYTHING revealed?
Ford shows off a car at the autoshow and you get about the same ammount of detail (sometimes less) and you aren't able to get more info until almost a year later before it goes on sale....

Wow over anxious...settle down.
"they didn't tell me more so I bought another car" is just silly
Really that impatient?
I guess the next complaint is how we haven't heard anything on the 2015 yet :P

Last edited by Boomer; 10/6/10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10/6/10, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boomer,

I'm not over anxious, I WANT info to make an INFORMED purchase. The order banks for this car will open in a little over a month, so don't you think you'd like some time to consider everything? In Canada this car is likely going to be 45-50k, if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want some info.

With a limited number of cars available I doubt many dealers are going to let you take your sweet time deciding if you want to order or not. I think it's a little unfair to put consumers under that type of pressure.

I took a Challenger R/T Classic (6 speed) out for a test drive today and I really liked it. It's not as quick as the 5.0 but it sounds awesome. It has a much deeper and tougher sounding exhaust sound. After this test drive I took a 5.0 out for a spin to try and get a back-to-back feel. I'm not sure that cleared anything up for me. The 5.0 felt quicker but I noticed I had to push it into higher rpm's to get the most feel. The Challenger felt like pure muscle in the lower rpm range- but I will say that I think the car is akin to a dog that is all bark and no bite. While that sounds like a knock, I don't intend it to be. I just know that the 5.0 on the street would pull away from this car so the Challenger doesn't have the bite the 5.0 would have.

Getting inside the 5.0 after being in the Challenger was a big change. The 5.0 felt quite small. I didn't feel cramped but the cabin is much smaller.

Ride comfort wise the Challenger has it all over the 5.0. The 5.0 is much improved over the 05-09 models and felt good going over bumps and railway tracks but the Challenger was just that much better.
Old 10/6/10, 12:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whammer, you really need to decide what you want. Do you want a faster, more agile, race ready coupe? Or do you want a comfy boulevard cruiser?

Obviously the chally will be more comfortable. It weighs more, its bigger, and its not a sports car. The mustang on the other hand is meant to handle better, thus has a stiffer suspension and is a lot smaller.

Its an apples to oranges comparison. Without question a BOSS will lay waste to ANY challenger on a road course, but if you're not looking for that kind of performance anyway why get it? If you just wanna cruise around town and don't mind not having the "fastest" car out there then get the chally

In my case it was an easy decision. The mustang looked the best to me, had the best performance, and its very comfortable in IMO

Last edited by stangfoeva; 10/6/10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10/6/10, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
if I had my choice of challengers I would chose a 71 that has been restored to the 10's. 340 with the ol pistol grip with some upgrades.
Old 10/6/10, 08:25 PM

My goal was to wait til Dec(since May) for my 2011 GT. Now that the Boss is coming, I can wait a little longer.
Old 10/6/10, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Whammer, you really need to decide what you want. Do you want a faster, more agile, race ready coupe? Or do you want a comfy boulevard cruiser?
That is precisely why I personally would have a hard time trying to look at a Challenger vs. a Boss Mustang. The driving dynamics are going to be geared toward different experiences.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
In my case it was an easy decision. The mustang looked the best to me, had the best performance, and its very comfortable in IMO
On the basis of the published specifications, the driving feel of the 2010 GT I have now, and my past high performance driving experiences in local autocrosses, I would easily choose the Boss, even without a final drive. Mainly because it is unlikely that I would ever take a test drive of a Boss Mustang to the limit that I would on a closed course. Of course, if I enjoyed getting a ticket and getting thrown in jail after taking that kind of test drive on the street, I might have a better feel for it then

Whammer, I am not sure of your decision criteria, but I think what stangfoeva is pointing out makes sense. You already own a car with a lot of power, so there is some other thing that is important, unless you just want something different and newer.
Old 10/6/10, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Boomer,

I'm not over anxious, I WANT info to make an INFORMED purchase. The order banks for this car will open in a little over a month, so don't you think you'd like some time to consider everything? In Canada this car is likely going to be 45-50k, if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want some info.
Other than driving or having someone else provide their driving impressions, what else is there to consider in terms of specifications?

With a limited number of cars available I doubt many dealers are going to let you take your sweet time deciding if you want to order or not. I think it's a little unfair to put consumers under that type of pressure.
I think this is self-imposed pressure.

I took a Challenger R/T Classic (6 speed) out for a test drive today and I really liked it. It's not as quick as the 5.0 but it sounds awesome. It has a much deeper and tougher sounding exhaust sound.
Yes, they do sound good to me as well.

After this test drive I took a 5.0 out for a spin to try and get a back-to-back feel. I'm not sure that cleared anything up for me. The 5.0 felt quicker but I noticed I had to push it into higher rpm's to get the most feel.
It is beneficial you got to experience this because it is probably going to be even more so with the Boss, especially if it is making max power at 500RPM higher than the GT's 5.0L engine. What gears were in the one you drove?

The Challenger felt like pure muscle in the lower rpm range- but I will say that I think the car is akin to a dog that is all bark and no bite. While that sounds like a knock, I don't intend it to be. I just know that the 5.0 on the street would pull away from this car so the Challenger doesn't have the bite the 5.0 would have.
Weight is the enemy of acceleration! However, as one of the aftermarket company people I know says "You talk horsepower but you drive torque".

Getting inside the 5.0 after being in the Challenger was a big change. The 5.0 felt quite small. I didn't feel cramped but the cabin is much smaller.

Ride comfort wise the Challenger has it all over the 5.0. The 5.0 is much improved over the 05-09 models and felt good going over bumps and railway tracks but the Challenger was just that much better.
The benefits of a larger sedan chassis as compared to the Mustang's smaller one. You got to love those legacy Mercedes-Benz chassis cars
Old 10/7/10, 03:45 AM
Bullitt Member

2 years ago around this time I had the itch to get something new as well. At the time I had an 06 Mustang GT which had just about every mod that one can do to a stang. I really liked the Challenger which had just come out that summer but I waited for Ford to introduce the 10 Mustang to see what was new. After the introduction show on Speed and then all the info available online I was not blown away with the changes. I really wanted a GT500 then but the price was to high for me. So I went to test drive the 2009 Challenger R/T and bought one in Dec 08. I had exhaust work done, the Eibach Pro kit installed, CAI, tuner and a few other things. The car was great to drive and got attention everywhere I went. The power of the car was very good and it sounded and drove like a Muscle Car.

But this summer Ford Canada had their Employee Pricing promotion which included the 2010 GT500's and I was finally able to get one. While I really enjoyed the Challenger I am a Ford guy and the GT500 is just so much more car. However it is also an different car and can not really be compared to the Challenger.

If you are into modding cars then be aware that it is hard to get parts for the Challenger in Canada and getting a custom dyno tune for decent money is almost impossible.

In the end you are the only one that knows what will make you happy.

Here is what my Challenger looked like

Last edited by R3troGT; 10/7/10 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 05:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Until the Boss was announced I was perfectly happy with me GT500. I suppose it's kind of liking breaking up with someone....you don't focus in on their positives you focus in on their negatives, it makes breaking up easier to do. So as I contemplated the Boss I looked at the negatives of my car.

During this 2 month long process I also found myself really analyzing my driving habits and how I use my car. I don't drag it or track it and the Boss is certainly going to be amazing on the track but who's going to take a brand new 40k Boss and beat it around the track (and void their warranty)? I don't think I could. I really just cruise around town, open it up on some open stretches of road, and get out on the highway occasionally. This made me question my need for a Boss. Then I wondered if a 5.0 with more "toys" might be a better fit and once I went down that road I may as well look at what Dodge was offering (the Camaro does nothing for me).

I took several '11 GT500's out for a test drive and those cars really are very, very good. But the money is just too much.
Oh well, I'll just plug away and have fun deciding on what I want to do.
Old 10/7/10, 05:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If I could afford it, I would rather have the badest fastest car and under use it than settle for something that fits my driving style... especially if both cars I'm an considering are in the same class...

example..I've recently been thinking about purchasing a hand gun. I'm 99% likely to never have use it for protection, but if i get one I'm going to get a big one...just so if the time ever comes, i will have the equipment necessary.

All guns shoot bullets, but some guns shoot bigger bullets. Just like all cars go "fast"... some cars just go faster.

Last edited by codeman94; 10/7/10 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 05:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any pix of this fusia Challenger??
Old 10/7/10, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Barricade
Here is one I took with my iPhone. This was a brand new car on a dealers lot. The white interior seats where already very dirty on the drivers side.

Old 10/7/10, 06:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Barricade

I've ditched the idea of the fuchsia. At first look it's kinda cool and certainly stands out but I think it would get old quick. And those white seats would show everything.
Old 10/7/10, 06:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THE PURPLE!!!!! now thats freeeking sweet!!

When I was a kid my sisters boyfriend use to pick her up in a Roadrunner that was that color.
Old 10/7/10, 06:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
Here is one I took with my iPhone. This was a brand new car on a dealers lot. The white interior seats where already very dirty on the drivers side.

What dealership was that at? And is that Plum Crazy an SRT8?
Old 10/7/10, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

What dealership was that at? And is that Plum Crazy an SRT8?
Islington Chrysler on Dundas near the 427. This was a few weeks ago. They also had a SRT in that colour in the showroom. The one next to it was an SRT8
I live 5 minutes from there and can try and see if they still have them.
Erin Dodge also has a Plum Crazy Challenger in Stock. They have had that car since early March. I looked at it once, to trade my R/T, but they wanted full sticker for it and offered me crap for mine.

Last edited by R3troGT; 10/7/10 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10/7/10, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I've ditched the idea of the fuchsia. At first look it's kinda cool and certainly stands out but I think it would get old quick. And those white seats would show everything.
I saw one on the road today and it really did not garner the attention other colours do. 10 minutes later I saw a Hemi Orange SRT and it stood out huge.
Old 10/7/10, 06:14 PM
Cobra R Member

R3troGT,

Thanks for the offer, I called Islington Chrysler and they only have autos. I'll check Erin Dodge.
Old 10/7/10, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

R3troGT,

Thanks for the offer, I called Islington Chrysler and they only have autos. I'll check Erin Dodge.
The one I looked at at Erin was an auto as well. Try Ontario Chrysler as well, that is where I got mine, they usally have a lot of stock.

Last edited by R3troGT; 10/7/10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10/8/10, 01:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Centenial Dodge in Barrie has a crapload of em.

I went a while back (before the pink was released) and they had at least 2 in every colour.

I'd totally rock the Plum Crazy
Pink not so much.
I've seen 2 of them so far on the road.

Quick Reply: I can't believe I'm considering this.....