The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   I can't believe I'm considering this..... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/i-cant-believe-im-considering-488080/)

Whammer 10/5/10 06:27 AM

I can't believe I'm considering this.....

I drove by a Dodge dealer the other day and this Challenger catches my eye. It's Furious Fuchsia! While the car has a bit of a pink tone to it, it really is beautiful looking. So today I'm taking a Furious Fuchsia SRT8 for a test drive.

I've never driven a Challenger so I'm very curious how it drives. I'm expecting a very comfortable ride and pretty decent power (at speed). I don't expect to take off very well and compared to my GT500 I'm expecting it to feel like a slug. But only a test drive will confirm all that.

It's funny where the road takes you when you start looking at new cars. I can't believe I'm looking at a Challenger. I blame this all on Ford, they really needed to get the info on the Boss out.

Glenn 10/5/10 12:20 PM

They are nice :)

I like the challenger and I think you will too. Its great for hauling the kids and not to bad on trips either. Let us know what you think. Oh hey don't blame ford for anything LOL

Tony Alonso 10/5/10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5956825)
It's funny where the road takes you when you start looking at new cars. I can't believe I'm looking at a Challenger. I blame this all on Ford, they really needed to get the info on the Boss out.

I'd blame this on an incurable disease called "car enthusiastitus impatientus" :)

Other than pricing, a production number confirmation, and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I think there is quite a bit of information out there on the Boss already. What else is missing?

Whammer 10/5/10 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 5957031)
I'd blame this on an incurable disease called "car enthusiastitus impatientus" :)

Other than pricing, a production number confirmation, and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I think there is quite a bit of information out there on the Boss already. What else is missing?

I'd like to see some real driving footage,. Some in car stuff, some driver reviews. Basically anyone who orders one of these is going in almost completely cold. We will not be getting to test drive it. I'd like to know if there are any options or if this car is really stripped down. Manual seats??? Really???

jedikd 10/5/10 03:09 PM

You're cross-shopping a Road-race car against a 4000lb+ boat?

The Challenger and the Boss 302 are for two VERY different purposes.

And you realize the Boss is a 2012 car right? They're still trying to sell 2010s and 2011s here...

stangfoeva 10/5/10 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jedikd (Post 5957125)

And you realize the Boss is a 2012 car right? They're still trying to sell 2010s and 2011s here...

And the cross between those two is a GT500. :jester:

Whammer buy a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT PP :D

Whammer 10/5/10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5957128)
And the cross between those two is a GT500. :jester:

Whammer buy a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT PP :D

I've test driven 3 '011 GT500's and I thought they were great. Handled well, awesome amount of power. But price is a bit of an issue. Here in Canada those cars are sitting at 64k with some options on them. The SRT8 Challenger was 51k and the sales manager dropped it down to 47k.

I'm basically doing all this in order to assess if I really need to buy another car? My 08 GT500 has about 6k miles on it. It drives well and has lot's of power. The only way to know is to test drive these cars and see how I feel driving them.

I'm realizing that King of the Hill performance only last until next year's models come out. I'm also asking myself "how much power do I really need?" I don't take my car to the drag strip and a decent roadcourse track is several hours drive away from me, so I doubt that will happen very often. So I'm looking at what's fun to drive and what makes me happy.

Whammer 10/5/10 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jedikd (Post 5957125)

No, I'm cross shopping to see which is the best fit for me.

stangfoeva 10/5/10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957134)
I've test driven 3 '011 GT500's and I thought they were great. Handled well, awesome amount of power. But price is a bit of an issue. Here in Canada those cars are sitting at 64k with some options on them. The SRT8 Challenger was 51k and the sales manager dropped it down to 47k.

I'm basically doing all this in order to assess if I really need to buy another car? My 08 GT500 has about 6k miles on it. It drives well and has lot's of power. The only way to know is to test drive these cars and see how I feel driving them.

I'm realizing that King of the Hill performance only last until next year's models come out. I'm also asking myself "how much power do I really need?" I don't take my car to the drag strip and a decent roadcourse track is several hours drive away from me, so I doubt that will happen very often. So I'm looking at what's fun to drive and what makes me happy.

$64k :jaw: Ouch!

well you should be in no rush with a great car like an '08 GT500. Take your sweet time man and enjoy your GT500 until more BOSS tidbits come out

Flagstang 10/5/10 03:59 PM

if you want something thats alittle bigger get a sho taurus. I have only heard great thing. I also enjoyed my test drive. plus awd will rock in the canadian winter. Just test a sho also.

Whammer 10/5/10 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5957003)
I like the challenger and I think you will too. Its great for hauling the kids and not to bad on trips either. Let us know what you think. Oh hey don't blame ford for anything LOL

I was quite certain the SRT8 Challenger would be no match in the power department for my GT500, but I was interested in what it would do.
So I head out for a test drive (with a salesman) and the sales manager asks me not to put too many miles on. I tell him I'll be easy with it and he says- no drive it hard! Just don't put too many miles on it.

I fire it up (push button start, nice) and shift into reverse to back up. The engine engaged nicely. I shift to 1st and then head out of the lot. Car sounds very good and the car had nice pick up (3.92 gears). I was very surprised with the power, I thought it would be more sluggish from the kind of comments have read on various forums. The ride was very smooth, smoother than my GT500. I got on a small section of highway and opened it up a bit. I was right about it not having the GT500`s power, it had plenty of power and most people would be impressed by it. Only if you've driven something like a Shelby would you feel it lacking.

I felt the weight difference and the lesser HP. The weight difference wasn't felt in the handling, it didn't feel like a boat. It was more like- I know the car is heavier and that weight takes away some of the power. I wasn't disappointed with it, it just felt "less" than the Shelby.

I thought the interior was very nice. Again I expected it to feel overly large, but I felt secure in the seat and didn't feel like I was in a boat of a car.

I'm going to take it for another test drive so I can get a better feel for it. But I enjoyed it.

Flagstang 10/5/10 04:20 PM

on my test drive I felt it lacking in the corner. Did you take it on a raod with some corners?

Automagically 10/5/10 05:01 PM

Still want Plum Crazy Purple

Whammer 10/5/10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 5957163)
on my test drive I felt it lacking in the corner. Did you take it on a raod with some corners?

Not really, just some city driving. Next drive I'm going to press it a bit more.

Whammer 10/5/10 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically (Post 5957194)
Still want Plum Crazy Purple

Yeah, I'm thinking about that color as well.

Glenn 10/5/10 06:26 PM

The seats are nice For shore

LagunaBeach 10/5/10 07:10 PM

And why is this in the Boss section?

cdynaco 10/5/10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach (Post 5957269)
And why is this in the Boss section?

:redlight: :redlight: DANGER DANGER!! Thread Police! :rolleyes:

Because he's trying to make sure he really wants to wait for a Boss.

LagunaBeach 10/5/10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5957278)

:redlight: :redlight: DANGER DANGER!! Thread Police! :rolleyes:

Because he's trying to make sure he really wants to wait for a Boss.

Are you still upset over my Bullitt comment months ago?

cdynaco 10/5/10 07:38 PM

No - don't even remember it.

But I always chuckle when people try and stifle conversation flow. The posts on TMS are HALF what they used to be, so I think conversations should be allowed to run their course... they always get back on track. At least people are posting a bit more... on some days...

now I should prob do this about now...

:topic: