Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

HID's - Anyone planning on installing?

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/11, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After driving my Boss this weekend in the dark, I definitely want to upgrade the lights. I'll try the Silverstars first, if that's not good enought, I'll try these.
http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main...roducts_id=924

About $400 with the HID bulbs.
Old 4/10/11, 01:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minicobra
Did a few searches on OEM Ford parts, looks like the stock HID's are hard to find cheap, this is what I came up with as an average from several different suppliers.

Lamp assembly x 2 $769 = $1538
Ballast x2 $229 = $458
Bulbs x2 $178 = $356

Total = $2352

As an option there were these, but you would still need bulbs, ballast, etc.
http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-mustang-headlights/

Time to start looking in the wrecking yards :-)

Have you tried http://www.newfordparts.com/catalog.htm yet?

734 996 2300 the catalog online only goes to 2010.
Old 4/20/11, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm going with this kit. Lifetime warranty, cant beat that. A lot of Mercedes guys use them so I was going to install them on my wifes car. The Boss took presedence.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 4/21/11, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will absolutely install. Hate the oem ones, they make the car look crosseyed. Hidguy ftw
Old 6/8/11, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys...
I've already posted in another related thread, but I'll put my 2 cents in here too... Maybe you guys can help, in fact!

I live in Japan (I'm from America though) and my new Mustang is coming in 2 weeks! Ford Japan only offers three flavors of Mustangs and HIDs are standard across the line... Honestly, I don't like the look of them though.

I've been researching a lot about replacing the HID housings with (gulp) Halogen housings and bulbs! I know... Crazy, right?

I know that the bulb connectors are different, but can anybody confirm if the parking light connectors and bulbs are the same or not?

Also, if I splice in new connectors for the bulbs, does anybody know if the power output from the original harness is ok or not?

Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks!

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 6/8/11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 6/8/11, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Hey guys...
I've already posted in another related thread, but I'll put my 2 cents in here too... Maybe you guys can help, in fact!

I live in Japan (I'm from America though) and my new Mustang is coming in 2 weeks! Ford Japan only offers three flavors of Mustangs and HIDs are standard across the line... Honestly, I don't like the look of them though.

I've been researching a lot about replacing the HID housings with (gulp) Halogen housings and bulbs! I know... Crazy, right?

I know that the bulb connectors are different, but can anybody confirm if the parking light connectors and bulbs are the same or not?

Also, if I splice in new connectors for the bulbs, does anybody know if the power output from the original harness is ok or not?

Thanks!
Hello:

Not sure as I have not done this swap--BUT--you should be able to search this forum and find the installation instructions for the OEM HID retrofit, which should give you a good idea of what is different between HID and Halogen and the corresponding subsystem lighting.
Old 6/8/11, 10:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Hey guys...

Thanks!
HID bulbs are designed to run on a 35w system, where a standard halogen bulb is designed to run on a 55w system. It's not just a simple cut & splice job to go back to halogen bulbs.

As people have stated before, the amount of work to remove the HID system is quite large, and costly.
Old 6/8/11, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
you should be able to search this forum and find the installation instructions for the OEM HID retrofit, which should give you a good idea of what is different between HID and Halogen and the corresponding subsystem lighting.
I couldn't find the thread but am interested just for educational reasons. If somebody does look up the thread, I'd appreciate a link.
Old 6/8/11, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the replies!
Honestly, this is the best Mustang Forum.
I feel really cut off because I live in Japan... I've only seen a handful of Mustangs here in my 9 years... There's no help to be found anywhere, so I appreciate it!

Retrofitting HIDs or in my case, halogens is pretty tricky.
There is a lot to consider, even though it seems that it should be simple.

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 6/8/11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

By the way... I can't find the retrofit guide for OEM HIDs either. I came across a few posts earlier this week (maybe on a different forum?), but they were all dealer installs. One person reported that even though the dealer did the work, high beams were not functional. If I can find it, I'll post it here...
Old 6/8/11, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say wait until you find someone without HIDs that you guys can swap stuff straight across the two cars. Tell the other guy to show up with beer too since he's getting HID's out of the deal.
Old 6/8/11, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
I say wait until you find someone without HIDs that you guys can swap stuff straight across the two cars. Tell the other guy to show up with beer too since he's getting HID's out of the deal.
Haha! Great idea and I'd happily do it too! Only problem is that all 2010+ Mustangs in Japan have HIDs. It's standard equipment.

Mitsuoka (who makes the Orochi) actually owns a direct import shop in Japan and maybe they have some V6 models with halogens... It's a big company, but maybe I can persuade them to trade up... Maybe they'll even do the work since the HIDs are more valuable!
Old 6/8/11, 10:38 PM

Talk to Blue Flame Customs in Tokyo. I visited there in 2007. They are a huge Saleen and FRPP importer. They can probably get the parts you need if you want the OEM stuff.

They were on Daiichi-Keihin in OmoriKaigan back then. I'm assuming they are still open.

Last edited by 06GT; 6/8/11 at 10:42 PM.
Old 6/9/11, 03:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Talk to Blue Flame Customs in Tokyo. I visited there in 2007.
Thanks for the tip! I searched for them online, but their page says it's under construction. No phone number either...
I did find them mentioned on Minkara (think Facebook for cars!) a few times though... They seem pretty reputable from what I can tell...
Old 6/9/11, 04:41 AM
GT Member

Its amazing to me that Ford cant just offer this as an option, or just have the BOSS have them standard vehicle option. Go take a look at the new Camaro's Round Ring, HID headlights.

They look absolutely awesome on the front of the 2011/12 Camaro's- and much nicer than even the Ford HID headlights. The 2013 BOSS 302 needs this upgrade, bad.. At least offer it as an option if you want to make us happy. Not have us here talking about changing it ourselves, and screwing some wiring up, or hacking into harnesses, and spending lots of $$$ doing it.
Old 6/27/11, 11:05 AM

Will absolutely install. Hate the oem ones, they make the car look crosseyed. Hidguy ftw
!!!
Old 6/29/11, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

What about the ballasts throwing of the weight balance of the car?
Old 9/4/11, 10:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Thanks Scott. Hope we get together in Utah.
And almost five months later you did. Do you have any lottery numbers for me?
Old 9/5/11, 04:45 AM
Cobra Member

Cool

At least 2013 owners won't have to sweat this if the rumors are true!
Old 9/9/11, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Thanks for the info. Since the Ultra's are only a few bucks more I'll probably give them a shot. My wife's car has HID's and I like them alot but I think these will be a nice improvement and I don't drive fast at night anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9007S.../dp/B000M5Y72A
You need the 9008s. The ones you linked don't fit--mine showed up today and I learned this the hard way.

Quick Reply: HID's - Anyone planning on installing?