Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

HID's - Anyone planning on installing?

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/11, 03:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID's - Anyone planning on installing?

Anyone planning on installing HID's on there Boss? if so, are there any decent aftermarket kits. Most I've seen are junk.

I've done a search trying to find the OEM GT HID's but can't seam to find any info on them. I wonder if they can be had through a Ford dealer or collision center. I'm sure the cost a pretty penny though.

My last 3 cars and my current one all have HID's and I find it really difficult to downgrade to older technology on the Boss. 70% of my driving is at night.
Old 4/8/11, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra
Anyone planning on installing HID's on there Boss? if so, are there any decent aftermarket kits. Most I've seen are junk.

I've done a search trying to find the OEM GT HID's but can't seam to find any info on them. I wonder if they can be had through a Ford dealer or collision center. I'm sure the cost a pretty penny though.

My last 3 cars and my current one all have HID's and I find it really difficult to downgrade to older technology on the Boss. 70% of my driving is at night.
I agree. I think the OEM Premium GT HIDs would look great on the Boss, that would be on my mod list as well. From what I've seen, the OEM ones are not cheap. I wish HIDs were an option on every Mustang... even the non-premium GTs.
Old 4/8/11, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about it also. Whats our bulb size?
Old 4/8/11, 07:34 AM
V6 Member

I just installed my HID kit. The high/low beam bulb size was H13 and the fog light size was H10. I have a 2011 Roush Stage 2 I don't know if its the same size as the 2012. Here are some pics.
Attached Images    
Old 4/8/11, 07:50 AM

**** that Roush looks good
Old 4/8/11, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Where was the kit from? How difficult was the installation?
Old 4/8/11, 08:02 AM

Is there any change in the wiring to install HIDs or is it just a matter of installing the headlight assembly itself?
Old 4/8/11, 08:06 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to see a Boss owner retrofit the OEM HID setup on one of their cars.
Old 4/8/11, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a collision center with full service department and my plan is to install oe hid's on my BOSS if I ever get it!!!! I was supposed to see it by March 31, but I don't even have a VIN. Anyways enough of the venting. If I ever get my car I will post pics of the necessary steps to take. It should be relatively easy as we have done it plenty of times on all makes.
Old 4/8/11, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

i have HIDs from stangmods on my 10 in the fogs and the heads. They were easy to install, no cutting, and the ballast was about the size of a pack of cards on each side. you reuse the stock housings and just put in the new bulbs, much, much more light. it was $350-ish for fogs and heads for the kit. oh i have the fogs and headlights tinted on the car so that cuts some of the light.

Last edited by ShaneM; 4/8/11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 4/8/11, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
I have a collision center with full service department and my plan is to install oe hid's on my BOSS if I ever get it!!!! I was supposed to see it by March 31, but I don't even have a VIN. Anyways enough of the venting. If I ever get my car I will post pics of the necessary steps to take. It should be relatively easy as we have done it plenty of times on all makes.
That sounds great , can you find out what the price is for the parts needed from Ford?

Thanks
Old 4/8/11, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

I ordered the kit from a local performance shop. It is called a blaze digital HID kit. I don't know if there is a web site I will check. The kit splices into your factory wiring harness and uses the same factory headlight and fog light assembly. Had to remove the front bumper so I could get to everything.
Old 4/8/11, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i have HIDs from stangmods on my 10 in the fogs and the heads. They were easy to install, no cutting, and the ballast was about the size of a pack of cards on each side. you reuse the stock housings and just put in the new bulbs, much, much more light. it was $350-ish for fogs and heads for the kit. oh i have the fogs and headlights tinted on the car so that cuts some of the light.
Shane, those look pretty good for aftermarket, not a bad spread & price.

What wheels are you using? like the offsets
Old 4/8/11, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

That sounds great , can you find out what the price is for the parts needed from Ford?

Thanks
I like the OEM HID housing much better than putting HIDs in the non-HID housings. I think the headlight closer to the center of the grille looks mean as hell.
Old 4/8/11, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Shane, those look pretty good for aftermarket, not a bad spread & price.

What wheels are you using? like the offsets
i sold them going back to stock for trade, but they are TSW nurburgrings in matte gunmetal 18x9 front 32mm and 18x9.5 rear 40mm. they do clear brembos on an 11gt with TONS and i mean TONS of room to spare and weigh 22 pounds. my favorite wheels. i will probably end up wishing i held onto them for track wheels.
Old 4/8/11, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

The best way to get the OE HID's is getting them from a salvage yard. Just specify a 2010-2012, trust me they are available and tell them you need the connector with a section of the harness. This would really simplify the installation and save you about 50% of the price from the dealership. Besides it's an assembly and with the dealer it's piece by piece. Advise the yard it needs to be "insurance quality" and you will get as new assemblies for a great price.
Old 4/8/11, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or do a completely custom retrofit. =]
Old 4/8/11, 01:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not, because of the originality of the Boss over cost. Either way for those that don't want to, adding a set of Silerstars are a must without HIDS.

Blow these pics up, a hugh difference for less then $30
Attached Thumbnails HID's - Anyone planning on installing?-cimg0947.jpg   HID's - Anyone planning on installing?-cimg0948.jpg   HID's - Anyone planning on installing?-cimg0949.jpg  
Old 4/8/11, 02:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Scott, the ones on the right look much brighter. What's the part number for those bulbs?
Old 4/8/11, 02:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chutoyy
Or do a completely custom retrofit. =]
I wouldn't do that on this car. If you go with the OEM stuff, at some point down the road, you could always swap back to the halogen setup. Going with a retrofit might be a cheaper alternative in the short term, but would cost as much or more in the long term if you chose to go back to stock.

Quick Reply: HID's - Anyone planning on installing?