Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/11, 12:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Anyone concerned about skip-shift now should get under the car and unplug the solenoid
Especially on the first day when you are under the car removing, replacing, or drilling out the side pipe discs.
Old 5/6/11, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I have not experienced skip-shift. By what I read, skip-shift locks out a gear and makes your skip it, right?
Never happened. What am I missing?
Old 5/6/11, 12:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Especially on the first day when you are under the car removing, replacing, or drilling out the side pipe discs.
Amen!
Old 5/6/11, 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone concerned about skip-shift now should get under the car and unplug the solenoid
I am going to unplug it but have a trip to the dealer planned for the bad side pipe, so after that. At first I did not even know it was there, never shifted under 3K. It was really, really hard to do but I took it out a few days and grannied it up a side street, shifted at 1500 and it made me go to 4th Then yesterday I had some in front of me make a left at a light and was just going so slow for a distance I went to shift, sure enough I was under 3K and it made me go to fourth. Now the reality of it sunk in since I was not in testing mode, and it will HAVE TO GO!
Old 5/6/11, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For those that haven't seen it, thread to remove the connector: https://themustangsource.com/f726/ea...nation-489847/

(gotta cut through all the BS about the chinese MT82 complaints)
Old 5/6/11, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those that haven't seen it, thread to remove the connector: https://themustangsource.com/f726/ea...nation-489847/

(gotta cut through all the BS about the chinese MT82 complaints)
Getrag is made in China? Didn't realize that.
Old 5/6/11, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Just make sure that you're not experiencing the dreaded "skip shift" feature...
Skip shift locks out 2nd and 3rd entirely...not 'part way'. I'm having shifting issues at slow speeds and turns...particularly left turns. At high RPM say 4500 is 'seems' fine...down shifting is too stiff as well... I feel like Boss does on here...I hope Ford fixes this.
Old 5/6/11, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yep , Ford build the affected MT82 transmission in Nanchang, China.
For those thinking of swappping fluid, i've been holding off since hearing about owners who have swapped to QDC fluid and are now reporting some tranny whine and all sorts of mechanical noises coming from their shifters.
Old 5/6/11, 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by white__stallion
Skip shift locks out 2nd and 3rd entirely...not 'part way'. I'm having shifting issues at slow speeds and turns...particularly left turns. At high RPM say 4500 is 'seems' fine...down shifting is too stiff as well... I feel like Boss does on here...I hope Ford fixes this.
That's what she said:

From Deysha, Ford CS:

FordCustSrvc
Made Member

View My Profile!

Dearborn Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man
This post has convinced me to hold off on the purchase of a new 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. I've waited 5 years to purchase another 'pleasure' vehicle. Something of this price should not leave me worried or concerned with regards to either eventual resale or a breakdown. That, coupled with the possibility of Ford never providing an appropriate fix to affected owners, means I'll wait. I've waited this long and I can wait a bit longer to see this resolved.

Come on, Ford. I've finally cleared the largest hurdle - getting my wife's permission. Getting a transmission to work whose basic design dates back 100 years shouldn't be an issue here.

Cheers all.

Hi Da Man,

As I have stated throughout this thread, this issue is getting looked at and getting worked on. Ford engineers are aware and working diligently to resolve this.

Deysha
Old 5/6/11, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Ford has came out with a TSB for hard shifting in cold weather you mite want to look into this
i have not taken mine in for the oil change yet so i can not say how well it works. With your cars beening 2012 i would have thought you have the other oil in your cars already.
I don't recommend this. the QDC fulid they are using to replace the factory QS is meant for a twin disc auto in the fiesta. Also for most it creates gear whine...some have said it sounds like a super charger whine inside the car coming from the shifter area.

IF you live in a particularly cold climate like Canada or Alaska could work out...but the gear whine has scared me off....besides the notchy hard shifting isn't because of cold weather for those of us having issues.
Old 5/6/11, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
That's what she said:

From Deysha, Ford CS:

FordCustSrvc
Made Member

View My Profile!

Dearborn Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man
This post has convinced me to hold off on the purchase of a new 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. I've waited 5 years to purchase another 'pleasure' vehicle. Something of this price should not leave me worried or concerned with regards to either eventual resale or a breakdown. That, coupled with the possibility of Ford never providing an appropriate fix to affected owners, means I'll wait. I've waited this long and I can wait a bit longer to see this resolved.

Come on, Ford. I've finally cleared the largest hurdle - getting my wife's permission. Getting a transmission to work whose basic design dates back 100 years shouldn't be an issue here.

Cheers all.

Hi Da Man,

As I have stated throughout this thread, this issue is getting looked at and getting worked on. Ford engineers are aware and working diligently to resolve this.

Deysha
Yap...I'm on that thread...she's been crowing about a fix coming soon and directed a quote to me as well. We'll see...in the past customer service has mentioned a fix is coming and then all we got was the QDC patch/nonsense. In the end a gear oil change is masking a problem not correcting it.
Old 5/6/11, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by askjeffro
Getrag is made in China? Didn't realize that.
Yes it is...designed by Ford-Getrag ventue...it is a tranny that has been around a while in other Ford applications. It doesn't have a stellar reputation just like China has a poor repuation for quality and using counterfit parts to make more money...it is hit or miss. If you get a 'good' one you'll be fine or should be. Mine isn't as bad as others having issues...but it isn't 'flawless' either like others claim. Beyond the shifting though I LOVE my car.
Old 5/6/11, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
I think any car with a manual trans will exhibit stiffer shifting in cold temps until things warm up. I just took mine out in 29 degree weather and let it warm up first. My transmission shifts like butta in every gear. I'm already used to the short throw shift pattern and have to say I love this drive train so far.
Keep in mind the tranny doesn't 'warm' up until you do some shifting. I tried sitting idle and it didn't do anything for it. Just par for the course as I agree any manual tranny car will need a few shifts to get things moving and warm up.
Old 5/6/11, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have never encountered skip shift. How do you invoke it?
Old 5/6/11, 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4pipes
Shifting out of first without hitting 3K RPM's
Old 5/6/11, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Shifting out of first without hitting 3K RPM's
Also keep in mind if you see the 'skip shift' display one can stay on the throttle and not necessarily increase RPM load and still by pass the skip shift...I'll be glad when I can get my car tuned down the road to get rid of this. I'm not wanting to remove the selenoid as it seems like a PITA and it can get dirty in there.
Old 5/6/11, 05:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Not driving your car properly.
Old 5/6/11, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's weird, I short shift in the morning while the tranny is warming up and never have encountered it.
Old 5/6/11, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

That's weird, I short shift in the morning while the tranny is warming up and never have encountered it.
My guess is you are shifting at a higher rpm
Old 5/6/11, 07:24 PM
GT Member

I have seen the light for shifting when driving and shifting about 2k taking it very easy about town but I just shift it like I want and have never had a issue. The light is a little distacting but I am OK with it. It sounds like it locks/blocks the 2nd gear shift for others, but not for me (yet!)

Quick Reply: Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm