Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/11, 04:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm

Well, I picked her up yesterday, build #0186. Had to drive an hour and a half and the wife was following (unknown route) so it was easy-does-it until we got home. She now has a little over 200 miles and I've had a chance to examine things closely. I just got a chance to pull the exhaust plates today and there's no comparison--as has been said before in another post, "just do it." Lots of thumbs up, a car that makes people happy and feels rock solid except...the shift problem apparent in other Mustangs of recent vintage is also apparent on mine. I've been driving manuals since dirt, so it ain't my technique. Sometimes, when shifting from 1st to 2nd the throw is stiffer than it needs to be and actually "clunks" into position. I am afraid the Boss is facing the same issues already experienced by many many others and documented here:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html
My fear is it'll get worse as described in that thread. I know a few others here have had their cars delivered--are you experiencing the same thing? Am I overreacting? I don't think so but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 3/26/11, 05:27 PM
FR500 Member

Just make sure that you're not experiencing the dreaded "skip shift" feature...
Old 3/26/11, 05:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Congratulations but we need photos!
Old 3/26/11, 06:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Congratulations but we need photos!
Thanks, more photos soon...only one uploaded is my avatar. Hope to do on-road vids as soon as it quits raining (supposed to dry out tomorrow afternoon).
Old 3/26/11, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PTRocks
Just make sure that you're not experiencing the dreaded "skip shift" feature...
Another reason we need TracKey NOW!

Honestly though, I've found the shifter "different" and have had manuals for years. I don't have any trouble with 1-2, other than managing the torque for a smooth shift occasionally. It's more the closeness of the gears. They're really tightly placed. I've gotten more used to it day by day, but it is "different". That said, I don't believe I have any kind of issue with my transmission at this point. Mine shifts very smoothly.

The other thing I've noticed is how light the clutch feels. I'm used to a stiffer clutch pedal. Speaking of which, is it a twin disc ceramic clutch?
Old 3/26/11, 08:43 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9

Honestly though, I've found the shifter "different" and have had manuals for years. I don't have any trouble with 1-2, other than managing the torque for a smooth shift occasionally. It's more the closeness of the gears. They're really tightly placed. I've gotten more used to it day by day, but it is "different". That said, I don't believe I have any kind of issue with my transmission at this point. Mine shifts very smoothly.

The other thing I've noticed is how light the clutch feels. I'm used to a stiffer clutch pedal. Speaking of which, is it a twin disc ceramic clutch?
Nope, it's a standard design. I am not sure how they beefed it up.
Attached Thumbnails Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm-10-2012-boss-302-detail.jpg   Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm-12-2012-boss-302-detail.jpg  
Old 3/26/11, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks PT. I could tell it felt different than the GT500 and not nearly as aggressive of a bite. I'm guessing it won't take a ton more hp than factory, but neither will the Getrag I've heard.
Old 3/26/11, 09:45 PM
GT Member

This all helps, thanks guys. I reckon shifting hasn't been a problem dusting comparable competition thus far, and the roughness only happens now and again so I may just be adjusting my reflexes. This forum is great for alleviating premature worry.
Old 3/26/11, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Ford has came out with a TSB for hard shifting in cold weather you mite want to look into this
i have not taken mine in for the oil change yet so i can not say how well it works. With your cars beening 2012 i would have thought you have the other oil in your cars already.
Old 3/27/11, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
congrats on the new ride
Old 3/27/11, 09:41 AM

Guys,

I have a 2011 5.0 with the same transmission as the Boss and will tell you that 1st to 2nd can be an issue on these transmission. There is a lot of dialogue on the other forums and Ford has actually issued a TSB on replacing the fluid. The problem is especially bad in cold weather and cold start up. I have just adjusted my process to go easy until the transmission gets warmed up then the problem goes away.
Old 3/27/11, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RaceRedBoss
Guys,

I have a 2011 5.0 with the same transmission as the Boss and will tell you that 1st to 2nd can be an issue on these transmission. There is a lot of dialogue on the other forums and Ford has actually issued a TSB on replacing the fluid. The problem is especially bad in cold weather and cold start up. I have just adjusted my process to go easy until the transmission gets warmed up then the problem goes away.
I think any car with a manual trans will exhibit stiffer shifting in cold temps until things warm up. I just took mine out in 29 degree weather and let it warm up first. My transmission shifts like butta in every gear. I'm already used to the short throw shift pattern and have to say I love this drive train so far.
Old 3/27/11, 02:06 PM
GT Member

I just got back from a long drive and I think I was hasty in my initial post. It was in the mid-50s-60 here since Friday but today dropped to only around 40. I think what I'm feeling in part is what cloud9 described. Also, when warm, if I more closely match throttle to shift everything is fine--motions are tight and require some smoothing out.
Old 3/27/11, 02:52 PM

The S2000 I owned a few years ago had an incredible transmission. Short throw and felt like a well oiled bolt action rifle when shifting. The gates were VERY close and required that you shift more with your wrist then with your arm. With that being said, it would "grrrttchhh" once in a while. I feel the mustang's 6 speed is very good with it's feel but temps play a big role with shifting smoothness. My fathers Vette was very tempermental with a cold transmission but once up to temp...good to go.
Old 5/5/11, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Manual Trans Fluid change

I was at the dealer today. The Service manager was aware of the TSB for the rough shifting when cold and said I could bring the Boss in the next day and he would have the fluid changed. First and second are pretty scratchy and sometimes 3rd, However it does get better when it warms up 10 ro 15 min later. I am looking forwaed to see if there is an improvement.
Old 5/5/11, 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9

Very jealous, Might I ask what type of career you have to be fortunate enough to own a Shelby GT500 and a BOSS?
Old 5/6/11, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
I was at the dealer today. The Service manager was aware of the TSB for the rough shifting when cold and said I could bring the Boss in the next day and he would have the fluid changed. First and second are pretty scratchy and sometimes 3rd, However it does get better when it warms up 10 ro 15 min later. I am looking forwaed to see if there is an improvement.
I'm holding off on the fluid change, not bad enough to warrant for me--also, some on other forums have experienced gear whine after the swap. Holler if you get yours changed and things improve.
Old 5/6/11, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog

Mine is the same way. I'll probably look into the fluid change since its not something I want to have to deal with once I'm in Italy.
Old 5/6/11, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone concerned about skip-shift now should get under the car and unplug the solenoid
Old 5/6/11, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Skip shift is easy to avoid

Quick Reply: Got mine yesterday, good and...hmm