Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Getting rid of Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/13, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orng302
And as it happens CARBS worries were justified as verified by the many post on this and other Boss forums as to Trackeys use.
You are exactly correct.

Unfortunately the unlimited use of TK in our Boss vehicles from an envisioned track only environment worried CARB sufficiently to make FR/Badillo "water down" (or detune) the lopy idle feature from that originally shown and displayed at numerous car events prior to the final certified version ultimately available for the owners to purchase.
Old 12/20/13, 12:38 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss949
maddog2: Thanks. I spoke to Justin when I first picked up my Boss in Orlando. He's got a great reputation. I've since added a tune from AED. Shaun says I should do the Whipple 2.9 and of course he would tune it. I know it's difficult to imagine how my Boss would perform with a S/C??? Any and all "first-hand" insight is appreciated. Thanks...
There is only one member here that I know of that put a blower on his Boss. He sold it a while back. It was well over 700hp and a complete beast. Full time drag radials will probably be a must but it's should handle not bad once the rear end is locked down. That 2.9 whipple sounds like a great choice. You only thought your car was strong until you SC it. The first few weeks will surely scare you in a good way.
Old 12/20/13, 12:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not even sure why you guys are discussing track key and carb. That should all be a wash once it's blown and tuned. Converters should at least be swapped with high flows and the red key will just be a red key.
Old 12/20/13, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
You are exactly correct.

Unfortunately the unlimited use of TK in our Boss vehicles from an envisioned track only environment worried CARB sufficiently to make FR/Badillo "water down" (or detune) the lopy idle feature from that originally shown and displayed at numerous car events prior to the final certified version ultimately available for the owners to purchase.
A supercharged tune is a totally different animal. That is what I meant about R&D with FR. They have not done it with a Boss/Roadrunner. TK is a race tune for a naturally aspirated motor.
Old 12/20/13, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with the fact if your a corner carver adrenaline then boss is way to stay but if you are a want to put the pedal down and really just go gt500 cause even a gt500 can carve some corners just not nearly as well as a boss.
Old 12/21/13, 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still think it is funny when people refer to the Boss as a better investment for collectibility. The key to a collectible item is when the general population buys the item and trashes it without thought to collectibility. Here we have a limited production car purchased by atypical owners, taking greater care of them than a typical Mustang. However, a sighting will be more rare than a Shelby. When I see a Shelby, I obviously break my neck to check it out, but I never say, "wow, there's are rare sight!" Still, the only way I see this being collectible is when our well preserved Bosses are still in working order when all other petro powered cars are long decayed. And a tank of go juice for driving enjoyment will cost you... Forget it unless you refine your own crude
Old 12/22/13, 08:43 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Yep I laugh too! I bought it just because I always loved the Bosses. I think they're just just badass looking and don't really care what they'll be worth 25-50 years from now! I probably won't be here to care!!!
Old 12/23/13, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Yep I laugh too! I bought it just because I always loved the Bosses. I think they're just just badass looking and don't really care what they'll be worth 25-50 years from now! I probably won't be here to care!!!
Thats great to hear Mustang Freak.
Can you please leave the car or whats left of the car to me. I do care about my Boss and truley HOPE they will be worth a good buck that my kids can cash in on. I'll of have the Fun and the'll have the pay day. If things dont work out that way.....At least I tried to leave them with an investment or a Bad *** ride. I see that as a Homerun for them eighter way. DAM I wish someone did that for me!!!
Old 1/18/14, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I would not have guessed this to be true a year ago, but I'm surprised how well the Boss is holding up depreciation-wise. The GT500's seem to be coming down, percentage-wise, about like a normal high-end car. From say 48-55k msrp to 38-48k asking price with under 15k mi on Autotrader. The Bosses were say 40-48k msrp and still asking 38-45k for low miles. Anecdotal I know, but this post points out what the market seems to be saying - used Bosses seem to be holding their value better for the time being.
Old 1/21/14, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KC3333
I would not have guessed this to be true a year ago, but I'm surprised how well the Boss is holding up depreciation-wise. The GT500's seem to be coming down, percentage-wise, about like a normal high-end car. From say 48-55k msrp to 38-48k asking price with under 15k mi on Autotrader. The Bosses were say 40-48k msrp and still asking 38-45k for low miles. Anecdotal I know, but this post points out what the market seems to be saying - used Bosses seem to be holding their value better for the time being.
"Almost" always, the more rare the car, the less depreciation. Or... if you own a 4x4 truck or Wrangler.

Mustangs though in general seem to hold their value well! I expect the Boss to do well. Even though it isn't the first track Mustang, it is the first track mustang in 40+ years (besides the Cobra R)! lol
Old 1/25/14, 04:41 PM

Update I went with the vmp 2.3 tvs stage 3 kit and the 79mm pulley for starters should be in next week and I'll keep y'all posted
Old 1/25/14, 09:02 PM
GT Member

You are going to have some fun now.
Old 1/26/14, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Update I went with the vmp 2.3 tvs stage 3 kit and the 79mm pulley for starters should be in next week and I'll keep y'all posted
Wile, I am sure many Forum readers are interested in how this blower addition works out for you. We are intrested in your updates.

One question - are you changing your pistons as well to lower the compression ratio? Is that part of the vmp kit?

Ford racing sells a 5.0L block specifically for supercharged applications (P/N M-6007-A50SC, page 45 of the 2012 catalog) which carrier a CR of 9.5:1. Typically OE developed supercharged (or turbocharged) engines carry this type of design CR for the forced air applications. The other three 5.0L normally asperated engines available from FR all carry the typical 11.0:1.
Old 1/26/14, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Wile, I am sure many Forum readers are interested in how this blower addition works out for you. We are intrested in your updates.

One question - are you changing your pistons as well to lower the compression ratio? Is that part of the vmp kit?

Ford racing sells a 5.0L block specifically for supercharged applications (P/N M-6007-A50SC, page 45 of the 2012 catalog) which carrier a CR of 9.5:1. Typically OE developed supercharged (or turbocharged) engines carry this type of design CR for the forced air applications. The other three 5.0L normally asperated engines available from FR all carry the typical 11.0:1.
It is not a part of any supercharger kit to change pistons to change comp ratios. Its not necessary to reduce comp ratio as long as you are not trying to make tons of boost. The kits start at around 8 psi with a warrantee. When you start pushing past the 12 psi range you should consider pistons. I have read many articles on guys who are making 15 psi and 850 hp with a bone stock Boss but I have no intentions of pushing mine that far. I have a 2.3 VMP charger on my 13 Boss making 10 psi and about 600 hp. Its a rocket. I have done other mods to the car to handle the power but have no concerns about the Roadrunner engine handling the power.Roush does not tear down motors to put chargers on there Mustangs.
Old 1/26/14, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
It is not a part of any supercharger kit to change pistons to change comp ratios. Its not necessary to reduce comp ratio as long as you are not trying to make tons of boost.

Maddog while I perfectly understand your opinion not to change out pistons to lower CR, why do you think Ford Racing and Ford Motor Company sell their supercharged intended engines with lower compression ratios?

The supercharged 5.4L engines they offer OE are not necessarily making “tons of boost”, and yet these engines are delivered with SIGNIFICANTLY lower compression ratios than their normally aspirated engine versions. Perhaps, just perhaps the Ford engineers might know something about what compression ratios are best suited for their supercharged engines.

But hey, I am just as interested in Wile E. Cyote’s experience with supercharging his Boss engine as you are.
Old 1/26/14, 01:01 PM
GT Member

When they produce a motor specific to supercharging they are assuming you are going to throw ton of boost at it. My comments are an opinion but they are from an experienced engine builder also. Any time you alter one of these motors you take a chance. Warrantee no longer exists. I guess Roush is building time bombs with a warrantee.
Old 1/27/14, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Here again Maddog I understand you and your experienced engine builder’s opinion not to change out pistons to lower CR when modifying the Coyote engine to a forced air induction system. But other 5.0L engine owners contemplating this changeover might want a little more reassurance and information. My basic question remains. Why do the big companies with deep technical departments all reduce compression ratio on the forced air engines while you and your engine builder say it is fine to run a 11.0:1 engine with forced air? What do you know that they don’t?

I did a quick search of vendors offering a Ford 5.0L engine “package” with forced induction. Three major players were identified. See Table below.

Vic Edelbrock, Jack Roush and Ford Racing all offer a supercharged version of the Coyote engine. These companies have developed, built and raced high performance engines for years. They have a lot of technical experience with what works and what does not work. Each of these companies business model is to make money not to lose it to excessive warranty claim filings from people buying their engines and having them blow up during the warranty period. I think most here on the Forum would agree it is highly unlikely “Roush is building time bombs with a warrantee”. Jack is a very shrewd businessman and has a very good team of engineers designing, building and testing the engines he offers for sale.

All these companies offer our Coyote/Roadrunner engines with forced air induction at reduced CR levels. Do you have any data other than what you seem to have read in a magazine or talked to an engine builder as to why?
Attached Thumbnails Getting rid of Boss?-supercharger-table.jpg  
Old 1/27/14, 09:29 PM
GT Member

I think you are only hearing half of what I am saying. Roush,Ford racing,Edelbrock,and many more sell supercharger and turbocharger kits for your factory Boss,or GT and it does not include changing out pistons or any other internal engine parts. When you buy a Roush supercharged mustang they don't tear down the motor and put lower comp pistons in it. Because they are not making TONS OF BOOST. I think you are being a little too critical. I am well aware that when you build a blower motor you drop comp ratio which reduces power output that you make up with the charger. 11.1 to 1 comp ratio is not what I would consider a hi comp engine. I have heard the same fear some have of nitrous oxide but used in the proper way it can be used on a bone stock motor. I did a lot of research before jumping into installing a supercharger in my Boss and the thing to be more concerned about is the tune and VMP has it down to a science. Enjoy your Boss any way you feel comfortable it is the best mustang Ford has ever produced in my opinion.
Old 1/28/14, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I saw the last BOSS off the line, signed by all the workers in a SC showroom where I bought my car. Candy Apple Red and they were asking $200,000 as of 12/2014 for it !

Last edited by ctodd1; 1/28/14 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1/28/14, 09:13 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Originally Posted by ctodd1
I saw the last BOSS off the line, signed by all the workers in a SC showroom where I bought my car. Candy Apple Red and they were asking $200,000 as of 12/2014 for it ! VIN: 1ZVBP8CU2D5258897
So when you click on the link they show a '12 Boss! Also Candy Apple red wasn't even a color choice was this a special color for the last one?

Quick Reply: Getting rid of Boss?