Search this Thread

Old 2/14/12, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
FORD Racing LCAs

Has anyone installed Ford Racing LCA

Lower Control Arm Pair, GT500 Style, M-5538-A

LMR amd AM both list them for $134.99.

I am interested in stopping wheel hop and not sacraficing on noise and vibration.

Thanks
Old 2/14/12, 08:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the FR versions you want are the ones from the FR500C.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10918
Old 2/14/12, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMSBOSS
I am interested in stopping wheel hop and not sacraficing on noise and vibration.
Then stay away from poly bushed LCA's. If NVH is a concern as well as minimizing or eliminating wheel hop - consider the UCA from Roush.
http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html

More on the Roush UCA and bracket here...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...roush-uca.html
Old 2/14/12, 10:20 PM
V6 Member

Hi TMSBOSS,

I was interested in a quality LCA that would not adversely affect NVH on the car and came accros these http://www.spohn.net/shop/2005-2008-...ot-Joints.html ). They are from Spohn and appear to be a viable solution to what you are looking for. I would opt for the chrome moly ones for only $30 more. Let us know what you think.

Rob
Old 2/14/12, 10:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi TMSBOSS,

I was interested in a quality LCA that would not adversely affect NVH on the car and came accros these http://www.spohn.net/shop/2005-2008-...ot-Joints.html ). They are from Spohn and appear to be a viable solution to what you are looking for. I would opt for the chrome moly ones for only $30 more. Let us know what you think.

Rob
Rob

Thanks for the reply

Looks like a quality part.

I am a little concerned about noise and vibration as well as durability with the Delron lined joint.

Has anyone used this type, or actual unit and what are their Opinions/Results?

All, Thanks for your input!!

Last edited by TMSBOSS; 2/14/12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2/15/12, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tob*
Then stay away from poly bushed LCA's. If NVH is a concern as well as minimizing or eliminating wheel hop - consider the UCA from Roush.
http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html

More on the Roush UCA and bracket here...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...roush-uca.html
Great writeup. I have been considering adding the MM LCAs and wondered about the additional NVH on the street. Sounds like they will be OK.

TO THE THREADSTARTER:

The BOSS already has the GT500 LCAs from the factory.

Last edited by 06GT; 2/15/12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 2/15/12, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Drew, Jack and the team at MM nailed it with these. I find them to be rock solid and they added no descernable NVH - and I mean that.

Pairing them with the Roush upper turned out to be the perfect combination.
Old 2/15/12, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised that the MM ones didn't add a bunch of noise. I could clearly hear a rod-ended panhard bar when I installed it (could hear noise from the differential housing and rear brake moan being transmitted in).

I'm about to try a set of poly bushed arms, but definitely considering that roush upper. We'll see how it goes.
Old 2/15/12, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Hi TMSBOSS,

You are welcome !
As far as the durability of Delron all I can tell you is that we use it in the aircraft industry and it's tuff as hell. This is what attracted me to Spohn in the first place. I also like the fact that you can get LCA in chrome moly tubing, saves weight, very strong and we also use it in the aircraft industry. If you like an other brand of LCA that are threaded you can still get just the Delron ends and put them on. I was thinking of doing this to the Steeda upper control arm since I like the Steeda unit but not the spherical end that they have. Good luck with your seach for the right one.

Rob
Old 2/18/12, 04:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi TMSBOSS,

You are welcome !
As far as the durability of Delron all I can tell you is that we use it in the aircraft industry and it's tuff as hell. This is what attracted me to Spohn in the first place. I also like the fact that you can get LCA in chrome moly tubing, saves weight, very strong and we also use it in the aircraft industry. If you like an other brand of LCA that are threaded you can still get just the Delron ends and put them on. I was thinking of doing this to the Steeda upper control arm since I like the Steeda unit but not the spherical end that they have. Good luck with your seach for the right one.

Rob
Still looking.

It will be about 45 days bfore I am back in the states. Plenty of time to fine a quality solution at a fair price.
Old 2/18/12, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Never heard of Delron before. Are you talking about Delrin? Or does Spohn use some sort of hybrid material?
Old 2/18/12, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
Never heard of Delron before. Are you talking about Delrin? Or does Spohn use some sort of hybrid material?
Hi Tob,

Yes it's Delrin but Spohn Racing calls it a Del-Sphere joint, the material inside is Delrin. Very strong, durable, and self lubricating.

Rob
Old 2/18/12, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

That's a rather bulky joint. In theory - everything sounds plausible. Yet, you are merely sandwiching Delrin between two steel pieces. Clamped together, that thin layer of Delrin does little to dampen frequencies that are transmitted via the suspension arms, pickup points, and ultimately, to the cabin.

The idea of tightening the joint back up as it wears assumes that the wear is concentric and even about the joint. I'll proffer that it is far from that. Certain load paths will compress the Delrin more than others, causing it to thin as it wears. Cinching down the joint at that point only compresses areas with less wear even more. You'd probably be better off switching to replacement Delrin at that point. If the Delrin is the only self-sacrificing part of the joint then I suppose having a supply of them on hand would allow you to keep the original design intention in tact - were they to be of little cost. Yet you still retain the bulkiness of the joint, more so than a heim. The large joint body reduces the angle in degrees to which the joint can articulate as well, given typical OEM bracketry constraints.

I find it easier to just stick with a high quality heim joint that gets replaced in its entirety when wear starts to allow too much deflection.

On edit - don't get me wrong and assume I'm against Delrin. I have Delrin bushed A-arms for my Fox chassis coupe. Much preferred over poly at that juncture for all out performance, but not cheap either.

Last edited by Tob*; 2/18/12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2/18/12, 04:03 PM

Tob:

Where are you placing your jack for the rear of the car?

I place the jack pad right on the chassis-side LCA mounting bracket, and while jacking the pad will contact some of the LCA as well. The factory LCA is somewhat of an I-beam design so there's not much to worry about there.

(In your opinion) Is this going to be a problem if I switch to the MM LCAs?
Old 2/18/12, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

You are supposed to be jacking at the dedicated pinch weld area according to Ford documentation...

I jack from underneath the differential, right where Ford tells you not to jack from. I place my stands underneath and outboard on each axle tube. We could go on all day about why Ford doesn't encourage using the points I use and that's fine. I know why they want you to avoid the area I use.

I wouldn't use the bracket you are using but many do and haven't had issue. The factory LCA has a 'taller' body when compared to the MM LCA. So you would have additional clearance with the MM arm should you continue to jack from there...

Last edited by Tob*; 2/18/12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 2/18/12, 11:15 PM

Been jacking on that bracket many many times w/ my '06 and now the BOSS, no issues, so nevermind what we're SUPPOSED to be doing

I guess I'll just have to see how it works out if I go to the MM LCAs. Worst case I can always get at the pumpkin.