Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Ford issues TSB that states ANY mods on 5.0 VOIDS warranty!!! Ford BS at it's best..

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/11, 09:56 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you mean that if I do something and it damages my motor, then Ford won't pay for it?!?! Jeesh, next thing you know - If I add sunroof and the roof leaks, then Ford is going to say that they won't pay for a new headliner. I'm taking this POS Ford back and buying a Honda.
Old 7/2/11, 10:02 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiguy, are you having issues with your car? Didn't you add several mods the first week you owned your car?
Old 7/2/11, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Clearly this is about premature piston failure - the number one possible failure mode mentioned in the TSB is piston failure. This is one case where a few documented incidents on the internet WERE indicative of a larger problem.

I guess I can now state that I'm even more happy about my decision to buy a Boss Roadrunner engine over the Coyote as the forged pistons, "bulletproof" rods, GT500 "bulldozer" piston pin, stronger cast heads w/CNC chambers that minimize pressure variations between cylinders really are a needed reinforcement in the Boss engine. I just read that the piston squirters were eliminated due to windage issues - they were costing HP at high RPM.

I won't be changing my mufflers because I don't want a loud car, but I doubt that aftermarket mufflers would be seen as a cause for a failure in the Roadrunner engine. I can see why adding the Boss intake to a Coyote engine might not be a good investment - the added RPM needed to take advantage of said intake makes the Coyote engine a lot less reliable.
Old 7/2/11, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unsubscribing
Old 7/2/11, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 7/2/11, 11:52 AM

444 hp (or whatever your car puts out) isn't enough? Save your money and buy something that has more!

Most everyone can make themselves better drivers by doing things that DO NOT add hp or effect the motor/drive train.

You hardcore Mustang guys kill me. These cars are awesome and have a ton of power and torgue and you complain when Ford voids coevareg cause you want 1000 hp out of a 5.0 motor?

Take my advise, buy something cheap and slow and under powered and then go to your nearest track, drag strip, whatever and learn to be a better driver. I instructed at a Mustang event, drove my slow as heck BMW and was amazed at how many cars didn't let me around that had twice the hp.

My Boss 302 rocks on the track and has WAY more ponies then anyone here needs for fun. Point in case, for me to race AI, I'd need to de-tune.

Ford is doing what every other maker does and I say it's their right.

If you need 1,000 hp, buy a Zonda, I'll enjoy my 444 and my pony car!
Old 7/2/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jhall1957
444 hp (or whatever your car puts out) isn't enough? Save your money and buy something that has more!

Most everyone can make themselves better drivers by doing things that DO NOT add hp or effect the motor/drive train.

You hardcore Mustang guys kill me. These cars are awesome and have a ton of power and torgue and you complain when Ford voids coevareg cause you want 1000 hp out of a 5.0 motor?

Take my advise, buy something cheap and slow and under powered and then go to your nearest track, drag strip, whatever and learn to be a better driver. I instructed at a Mustang event, drove my slow as heck BMW and was amazed at how many cars didn't let me around that had twice the hp.

My Boss 302 rocks on the track and has WAY more ponies then anyone here needs for fun. Point in case, for me to race AI, I'd need to de-tune.

Ford is doing what every other maker does and I say it's their right.

If you need 1,000 hp, buy a Zonda, I'll enjoy my 444 and my pony car!
I couldnt agree more!
To all of you SO CALLED Race car drivers that think Ford is full of BS. Ford builds the best Pony Car on todays market. And because they are letting you know that if you alter the engine or drive train it may Void your warrenty. Do us all a HUGE favor and post the sale of your BOSS 302 on the site. This way whom ever buys it can post when they kick the snot out of your new rde.

Last edited by boss man; 7/3/11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 7/2/11, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Went out for a drive in my Boss and confirmed how great of a car it realy is.
This thread is Dead!

Last edited by boss man; 7/3/11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 7/4/11, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Should I have to worry about my K&N drop in filter? I got it so I dont have to worry about replacing the stock one while stationed overseas. I heard its a pain to get parts over there.
Old 7/4/11, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoldier
Should I have to worry about my K&N drop in filter? I got it so I dont have to worry about replacing the stock one while stationed overseas. I heard its a pain to get parts over there.
Nope.
Old 7/4/11, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man
This thread is Dead!
No it isn't. Cleary, it's pinin' for the Fords.

/ok, ok, I'm leaving... man... harsh crowd...

Last edited by houtex; 7/4/11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 7/4/11, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

If one gets out the reading glasses and takes a good look at all the fine print in any warranty from a garden rake to a coffee maker, they all indicate the same thing: If the component is modified in any way, the warranty becomes void. Ford is probably tired of the lawsuits that it still has to battle because someone altered their car and expects Ford to pay for its early death. The new Boss is a great car as is, with lots of HP. If it's not enough, just wait for the new GT500.................
Old 7/4/11, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Well, looks like I'll be selling my corsa axle backs, I'm not willing to gamble with Ford-->
I'll give you $200 for them.

Old 7/4/11, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
I'll give you $200 for them.

$201
Old 7/4/11, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

$202
Old 7/4/11, 10:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The funny thing is Ford loaned out pre-production prototypes to the aftermarket companys, so parts would be available before the car went on sale
Old 7/4/11, 10:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
The funny thing is Ford loaned out pre-production prototypes to the aftermarket companys, so parts would be available before the car went on sale
Yeah because some can't resist temptation & they're counting on it
Old 7/5/11, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
Dang you guys, come on. Ford is NOT saying you can't/shouldn't Mod your cars. Hell, they know alot of them are going to end up on race tracks or as real race cars.

All they are saying is don't expect help if your trash the already hyper tuned motor by trying to get another 200 hp out of it by doing something dumb (and useless).

Again, I'll restate, if you need more hp, then buy it. Either save your money and buy something built with more horsepower OR take your chances and do something to what you have. Just don't cry to Ford when it goes badly.

Take my advice, spend the money on safety items and/or driving schools. You can NEVER get enough of either!
Old 7/5/11, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line here is that it's going to take some time before tuners figure out how to safely get more power from the high-compression, high revving Coyote engine. One thing I learned after reading the excellent 15 page article about the Boss engine in 5.0 magazine is that the way to increase power in the Coyote engine is NOT to rev it higher. All that stuff about "exponential" stress with RPM's is true and is why the Boss engine has the upgrades mentioned in my previous post in order to rev higher reliably. The other thing not to do (based on broken piston pictures) is push the timing/knock sensors much beyond the factory settings. In fact the 5.0 article states that pushing the timing beyond factory specs will lose power as they are already at peak with the stock tune. Some might even suggest that the only way to get more out of the engine (other than intake/exhaust mods - which may void the warranty) is to supercharge it or increase displacement. I'm sure the tuners will eventually prove this wrong, but it's clear that the Coyote engine is a lot closer to maxing out HP/cu.in displacement in a N/A engine than any previous engine Ford or most anybody has built for an affordable production vehicle.

Last edited by Mustang_Man; 7/5/11 at 08:21 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Stiguy, are you having issues with your car? Didn't you add several mods the first week you owned your car?

Yes...and I am not having any issues, yet other than what i documented a month ago. I had the left rear axle replaced and the trans fluid TSB done. I am just hesitant to mod or back to stock with this news.

Quick Reply: Ford issues TSB that states ANY mods on 5.0 VOIDS warranty!!! Ford BS at it's best..