Search this Thread

Old 7/10/11, 09:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SAVE THE BASTERS!!!
Old 7/10/11, 09:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble
Scott, very nice. So, whatcha gonna put there? Cooler?

Gary, need moar spring rate. Save the turkey basters!

Jimmy
That or stay off the curbing!
Old 7/10/11, 01:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS_man
Looks like Ford may have added the friction modifier as a precaution against possible differential noise.
Spoke with someone myself about this the other day. He is not high up in Ford but knows his stuff and this is exactly what he said.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble
Scott, very nice. So, whatcha gonna put there? Cooler?
Jimmy
No I do not run that hard, it is just for fluid changes. We had two done, one for a friend with a LS. He might add the cooler but that is over the top for my needs.
Old 7/10/11, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
SAVE THE BASTERS!!!
I found a better line through Turn 12 though! If you late apex 11 and "cut" through the steep curbing on 12 you really make that corner faster. It also compresses the driver's side and I'm guessing that's what got the baster!
Old 7/18/11, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if we have the torsion rear end does it hurt to add a little bit of the modifier or just leave it out completely....thoughts? Any other fixes or suggestions for the vent mod besides the turkey baster? I do not want fluid puked all over the rear... Thanks guys. Another very informational thread! I have only been doing research on the vehicle for about a week and with all your help I feel way ahead of the curve for it being such a new vehicle. Thanks!
Old 7/18/11, 06:03 PM

I'm wondering if my KR tank will even bolt up to the BOSS, on the 05-09 car it bolts to the passenger side of the car...in Gary's pics, looks like the vent is on the driver's side. I dunno if the holes in the body will line up anymore. We'll see...
Old 7/18/11, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
So if we have the torsion rear end does it hurt to add a little bit of the modifier or just leave it out completely....thoughts? Any other fixes or suggestions for the vent mod besides the turkey baster? I do not want fluid puked all over the rear... Thanks guys. Another very informational thread! I have only been doing research on the vehicle for about a week and with all your help I feel way ahead of the curve for it being such a new vehicle. Thanks!
You don't need the F/M, but since I found that out after I replaced my fluid I have 4 oz in there. It's not going to hurt anything I don't think, but it IS NOT needed. If you haven't bought it yet, don't. Per Mark, Eng Mgr Ford Racing Prod Based Vehicles. We spent more than a few seconds on this topic to be absolutely clear. Since you don't have clutches in there, you don't need to modify the friction of them.

Sounds like the turkey baster is the way to go. You could get a long hose with a breather on it like the 4x4 guys who drive through rivers but that's likely overkill. NOTHING wrong with overkill though!
Old 7/18/11, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
You don't need the F/M, but since I found that out after I replaced my fluid I have 4 oz in there. It's not going to hurt anything I don't think, but it IS NOT needed. If you haven't bought it yet, don't. Per Mark, Eng Mgr Ford Racing Prod Based Vehicles. We spent more than a few seconds on this topic to be absolutely clear. Since you don't have clutches in there, you don't need to modify the friction of them.

Sounds like the turkey baster is the way to go. You could get a long hose with a breather on it like the 4x4 guys who drive through rivers but that's likely overkill. NOTHING wrong with overkill though!
I saw your car in the parking lot on the way out from the track on Saturday...she looks GOOD. Mine will be here soon.
Old 7/18/11, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I saw your car in the parking lot on the way out from the track on Saturday...she looks GOOD. Mine will be here soon.
Thanks! And thanks to the fine men and women from Ford who made it!
Old 7/18/11, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

FB- thanks for the quick response. I already bought the modifier, but I will probably return it. I think I am going to go with the long tube and a breather if I see some decent routing. I am more of an overkill kind of guy.....
Old 11/18/11, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like our cover is well positioned to accept the new GT500 diff cooler.

Old 11/18/11, 10:36 PM

Yep. I will be putting that on the mod list
Old 11/19/11, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Andy, thanks for the differential cover picture.
Where do the two lines go? Where is the heat exchanger for the fluid and the transfer pump? (if you know)
Thanks!
Old 11/19/11, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry no info other than stumbled across this online. I always wondered what the big fat "Bosses" on the cover were for, now I know.
Old 11/19/11, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great one more thing to buy
Old 11/19/11, 03:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Sorry no info other than stumbled across this online. I always wondered what the big fat "Bosses" on the cover were for, now I know.
Remember we were told that the diff cooler wasn't necessary for tracking a Boss?
Old 11/19/11, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Remember we were told that the diff cooler wasn't necessary for tracking a Boss?
The way I remember it, the opinion was if it was a street/track car he wouldn't bother. But if it was a track only car he'd do it.
Old 9/29/12, 12:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had taken my car to dealer and had them swap out the Rear diff oil and added new along with friction additive, total costing $210.00
I figured the season was over here in Buffalo, NY and its a good time for the fluid change this way next spring I will be ready..
Old 9/29/12, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Andy, thanks for the differential cover picture.
Where do the two lines go? Where is the heat exchanger for the fluid and the transfer pump? (if you know)
Thanks!
The heat exchanger is in the lower right front fascia with air channeled through with a small duct plate. Not sure where the pump is.
Old 9/30/12, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I had taken my car to dealer and had them swap out the Rear diff oil and added new along with friction additive, total costing $210.00
I figured the season was over here in Buffalo, NY and its a good time for the fluid change this way next spring I will be ready..
I had my diff fluid changed a couple weeks ago at a dealer--charged about the same, maybe a bit more. They said they had to drop the Strano sway bar out of the way to get at the panhard bolt--the 4 end link bolts. Not sure about that. The passenger panhard bolt gets turned around so the long end doesn't hit the bar, but I'm sure its still wrench accessible (but most likely not impact accessible).
Maybe its time to drill/tap the cover and do it myself.

Quick Reply: First diff fluid change pics