Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Finally had the a-arm tsb done yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/12, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally had the a-arm tsb done yesterday

after nearly a year of driving on squeaking a-arms i finally had the tsb done yesterday. i can remember rolling into a corner during my second track day last year and hearing a slight pop and then the car feeling a bit looser. i went on about my track day since the car still handled well and then promptly forgot about it for nearly a year since id rather have a tooth drilled than go to my local d-bag ford dealer.

as time went by the car started to squeak over speed bumps, coming into my drive way, and creaked when changing lanes on the highway that were at different heights. somewhere along the way i got used to the sounds the car made and didn't think much about it. i knew i had to take the car in after my last track day when the a-arms were popping so bad that under full load when it popped the rear end would get loose.

took it in to 5-star in plano (i drove 2.5 hours rather than use the local dealer 15min from my home because they are such d-bags). picked it up and when pulling it around to the other side of the lot to talk to Jerry (jpc) i could tell a difference. no creaking and the car felt tighter.

i had also started to think a heat shield under the car or the collectors on my headers were loose because the car rattled slightly on rev and at idle, it drove me nuts in a drive through line near a building. apparently it was those broken a-arm bushings because that is gone now. the best part of this and the reason i drove so far was that they ordered the parts for me so it could be done in one day. i asked the guys to see the parts and the service manager and tech said, they looked fine and you cant see any damage.

they said you said it creaked so we replaced them. my local dealer has turned me away for every bit of service work i have ever needed on multiple cars if they couldn't replicate what i was complaining about by driving around the parking lot. nice to have someone finally trust a customer on an issue even if they can't replicate it on a 5-minute drive.
Old 3/11/12, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the update on your solution.

BTW, I don't live in Texas (I did back in the late 60's early 70's), but if I did, I would want to know the dealership that 1) you don't recommend, and 2) the one that you do.

Word of mouth advertising is priceless...
Old 3/12/12, 09:28 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Is there a TSB web site for 2012 Boss?
....a list of the current TSB's for the Boss
Old 3/12/12, 09:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPC
Is there a TSB web site for 2012 Boss?
....a list of the current TSB's for the Boss
Ditto
Old 3/12/12, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine squeek soooo bad. I cant stand it. My only option here is to buy the parts and have them mailed here, pay for the repair and then submit all the documents to get reimbursed. Rather than go through all of that I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and swap the cradle (k-member) and A-arms myself since it's bound to happen eventually anyways.
Old 3/12/12, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Mine squeek soooo bad. I cant stand it. My only option here is to buy the parts and have them mailed here, pay for the repair and then submit all the documents to get reimbursed. Rather than go through all of that I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and swap the cradle (k-member) and A-arms myself since it's bound to happen eventually anyways.
i seem to recall reading a thread somewhere that the k-member cradles out there werent up to road racing duty. as for a-arms, id just buy BMR and be done with it.
Old 3/14/12, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i seem to recall reading a thread somewhere that the k-member cradles out there werent up to road racing duty. as for a-arms, id just buy BMR and be done with it.
Yeah. I hit up Kenny Brown about theirs and running it with their GT-4 Suspension. I didnt get too much feedback as to road racing duty but I havent replied to them to ask more in detail.
Old 3/15/12, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Yeah. I hit up Kenny Brown about theirs and running it with their GT-4 Suspension. I didnt get too much feedback as to road racing duty but I havent replied to them to ask more in detail.
a local shop owner in the dallas area hit me up on facebook this week. he is installing the gt4 suspension in his boss 302 this weekend and will have track times to compare between the car before and after the gt4 install.

he suggested that i needed the kenny brown anti-squat brackets rather than lowering springs to eliminate the brake drive and squat on accel. what do you guys think? i really want the car to be better balanced rather than just reducing dive and squat.
Old 3/16/12, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Is there any description of what changes are to new parts? Is it a bushing material change only or thicker metal guage or some other construction change??
Old 3/17/12, 02:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I remember someone mentioning it was the bushings but not entirely sure.