Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Farewell to fifth gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/12, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by creggleton
Wow! I have not posted for a LONG time, but this kind of garbage spewed from your service advisor is what gives dealer service such a bad name. Skip-shift is solely designed and implemented to improve CAFE numbers for Ford. It forces you to shift from first to fourth under light acceleration and throttle position only in a effort to improve fuel mileage. It is NOT in any way designed to "protect" your transmission. Please do not accept this explanation because it is at best, ignorant, but much more likely, a blatent lie to make you go away. These cars are not perfect but were absolutely designed from the beginning to be driven hard, reliably. This "self preservation" feature, does not exist. Definitely PM Deysha from Ford Customer Service. She has helped many people here get results on issues like these. Best of luck to you.
Yep, I agree, the description is not quite what I had heard either. But I do have to say the first 3000 miles were very easy, shifted at 2000 rpm and mostly highway (24mpg ave). I have never encountered skip shift while babying the car. I wanted to be sure everything was seated before going to any higher RPM operation. So after 3k the only issue has been at the higher RPM (5-6k) 1-2 shift. It seemed more prevelant with the stability control in sport mode, or totally off. Never had an issue with full on. So some of what he said might be right. He is trying to get better info from Ford to pass on. I kind of think that I had a malfunctioning unit from the start as it would never engage 4th gear (durring this "skip shift" or "self preservation" mode), it would either go nowhere or grind the gears. I also never noted any kind of message as some has noted when skip shift is invoked. At first I thought my 1-2 issue was me just getting used to a short throw shifter and the new car. After driving the Boss Track Attack cars I can tell you that my car just wasn't right to begin with, or the Track Attack cars are not quite stock.

As far as I know the dealer is still approaching this as warranty work, I have not heard otherwise, so I will not bother Deysha just yet.

Last edited by davegush; 10/12/12 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added some detail
Old 10/18/12, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Car has been repaired, and was under warranty. Thank you Ford.

I looked at the the broken parts and was a bit taken aback by how fragile this transmission is. Ford should have kept the Tremec in the Boss and left this transmission for the 6 bangers. Anyone know what transmission is in the Cobra Jet? I can guarantee its not an MT82

While my car has been repaired, it is not fixed. The repair parts are not any beefier, than the broken parts. So the broken part was the 3-4 shift fork, a plastic guide shoe cracked off. It is a very small and fragile part. Some missing teeth from the 2nd and 4th gear synchros, plus some collateral damage.

Word of advice to everyone, disable the skip shift, and shift like a grandma, Smooth and Easy are the key words here. Note that the 2013's have the skip shift feature disabled from the factory.

If it breaks again I won't even bother with it, I'll just go get a Tremec and fix it for good.
Old 10/19/12, 02:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have any pictures of parts?
Old 10/20/12, 01:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Do you have any pictures of parts?
Dang, that would have been a good idea, but I didn't think of it.