Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Farewell to fifth gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/12, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Awe man, I wish you luck..... hopefully you picked a mod-friendly dealer.
Old 10/1/12, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by davegush
I just lost 4th gear in my 12 boss, approx 3500 miles. Won't go into gear, grinds, or if I can get the speed just right it will go. Been reading a lot about synchro issues with the MT-82. From new have had issues with 1-2 shift, but cured that myself by always short shifting 1-2. Now that I have had this issue with 4th, I wonder if the 1-2 synchro wasn't also bad to begin with. Ford dealer will hear from me shortly. Hope it goes well. I have an air intake, aftermarket Steeda tune, and exhaust modification.
Sorry to hear that. Please keep all of us MT-82 suckers posted.
Old 10/1/12, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish you the best. I am still waiting for parts, but the Service Manager is fighting for a new trans because of the delay. I am seeing that these are known issues with these transmissions.

My car always had the dreaded 3 second cold 1-2 shift, and no it was not the lockout.
Old 10/1/12, 05:49 PM

Well my boss is at the dealer ship now. Took it last Monday. The problem was it was grinding going into fifth no matter how I shifted it and it started all at once. Also it only had 1800 miles on it. Service manager told me that a ford engineer came down and helped them tear it apart so he could see what was wrong.And they ordered me a new trans. It was supposed to be here today.
Old 10/2/12, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by whiteboss302
Well my boss is at the dealer ship now. Took it last Monday. The problem was it was grinding going into fifth no matter how I shifted it and it started all at once. Also it only had 1800 miles on it. Service manager told me that a ford engineer came down and helped them tear it apart so he could see what was wrong.And they ordered me a new trans. It was supposed to be here today.

Sadly, welcome to the MT82 club.

I might have to get the Engineer's name to have them come look at mine. They think that they can identify the parts and it has been quite a while. I guess I should not have said no rush.
Old 10/4/12, 08:25 PM
GT Member

Update - sort of - took it into the dealer Wed 10/3, technician successfully duplicated the 4th gear issue, but did not duplicate the 1-2 shift issue at higher rpm.
As of today they were in process of transmission removal in order to look inside. Will update as I know more for sure, service manager says Ford usually will ship a remanufactured transmission for a waranty repair, rather than have a dealer rebuild if its a serious issue. When I get the final disposition I will post the result.
Old 10/5/12, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I wonder if Ford would allow people to "upgrade" their trans once these issues present on a car and they end up having to replace the trans. I doubt anyone would mind if you could pay a little more to have the TR6060 combo from the 302S or the 302R trans.
Old 10/5/12, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I wonder if Ford would allow people to "upgrade" their trans once these issues present on a car and they end up having to replace the trans. I doubt anyone would mind if you could pay a little more to have the TR6060 combo from the 302S or the 302R trans.
It would be nice, I would love an option to upgrade or at least have some comfort level that the new parts are enhanced or somehow checked for defects.

Hopefully these issues are due to truely defective parts, bad metalurgy etc. and the replacement will function as intended. Afterall there are mustangs out there with 600-800 Hp drag racing every weekend with this same transmission?
Old 10/6/12, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you guys thinking about going with a GT500 trans or a generic 6060? If a GT500, what year? What rear axle ratio and tire size?
Old 10/8/12, 02:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I read about a T56 Magnum package that is made with same gearing as the MT82?
Ford will never allow anything for a consumer to change to a different tranny. That would admit fault.
Old 10/9/12, 05:39 PM
GT Member

Latest Info; The Service manager and I talked today. Seems that the issue I am having could be caused by the skip shift mechanism. If you recall my compliant was that I was having some 1-2 issues prior, then all of the sudden while shifting from 3-4 it wouldn't go. So here is the scoop. Seems skip shift is activated at higher RPMs. So if you run up 1st gear to a higher RPM (unsure what RPM), like you might do while aggressively accelerating into traffic ahead of that semi truck, the transmission decides that you would rather have 4th gear instead of 2nd gear. The service manager described the 1-4 skip feature as a transmission "self preservation measure" to avoid hard 1-2 shifts at or near redline. So anyway, when this engages if you pull the lever toward 2nd gear you can drag the transmission across second gear causing wear and it apparently will also contact or wear the 4th gear synchro. So apparently the few times I experienced this issue, before I started always short shifting 2nd gear, had caused enough damage to take out the 4th gear synchro. Man it really seams odd that this "self preservation" feature was Ford's engineering fix (band-aid) instead of beefing up the weak parts (root cause). Especially in such a highly touted performance vehicle. I can say that I am very disappointed that Ford changed to such a fragile transmission in "the best Mustang ever" as claimed in the CD we all got about the hard work in developing the car (on a race track). Seeing all the abuse the development mules saw, then thinking of my habits, I cannot even draw a close parallel. I don't know what else to say, without going into a rant at this point. More to come as it comes to a conclusion. On top of my issues - The dealer had to buy a special Ford tool just to work on the transmission, so I don't think the dealer is too happy right now either.
Old 10/9/12, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I thought I read about a T56 Magnum package that is made with same gearing as the MT82?
Ford will never allow anything for a consumer to change to a different tranny. That would admit fault.
If they offered it as an upgrade through Ford Racing Performance, then no issue or admission of fault, plus happy customer with bullet proof transmission.
Old 10/9/12, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they offered it as an upgrade through Ford Racing Performance, then no issue or admission of fault, plus happy customer with bullet proof transmission.
If that was possible id jump on it in a heartbeat. MT82 is working decent but motor is bullet proof it would be nice to have the tranny as good.
Old 10/10/12, 06:15 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to get off track to far.....but this is how trackey should of been offered. A Ford racing part. Ford could get around many issuies by going this route
Old 10/10/12, 12:40 PM

Dave,

The dealers explaination of skip shift has a real horse barn smell. My understanding it is for fuel economy. You might want to do a search here and read more on skip shift.
Old 10/10/12, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrooney
Dave,

The dealers explaination of skip shift has a real horse barn smell. My understanding it is for fuel economy. You might want to do a search here and read more on skip shift.
Ditto, this isn't how it was described to me by the service manager at my local Ford or by any mustang Forums I have ever read. I had skip-shift come on twice when I had my 2012 Boss and I had to baby it to get it to come on just so I could prove to myself it even existed on the Boss.
Old 10/10/12, 03:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by boss man

Not to get off track to far.....but this is how trackey should of been offered. A Ford racing part. Ford could get around many issuies by going this route
TracKey IS a Ford Racing part.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Trackey/Default.asp
Old 10/10/12, 08:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Latest Info; The Service manager and I talked today. Seems that the issue I am having could be caused by the skip shift mechanism. If you recall my compliant was that I was having some 1-2 issues prior, then all of the sudden while shifting from 3-4 it wouldn't go. So here is the scoop. Seems skip shift is activated at higher RPMs. So if you run up 1st gear to a higher RPM (unsure what RPM), like you might do while aggressively accelerating into traffic ahead of that semi truck, the transmission decides that you would rather have 4th gear instead of 2nd gear. The service manager described the 1-4 skip feature as a transmission "self preservation measure" to avoid hard 1-2 shifts at or near redline. So anyway, when this engages if you pull the lever toward 2nd gear you can drag the transmission across second gear causing wear and it apparently will also contact or wear the 4th gear synchro. So apparently the few times I experienced this issue, before I started always short shifting 2nd gear, had caused enough damage to take out the 4th gear synchro. Man it really seams odd that this "self preservation" feature was Ford's engineering fix (band-aid) instead of beefing up the weak parts (root cause). Especially in such a highly touted performance vehicle. I can say that I am very disappointed that Ford changed to such a fragile transmission in "the best Mustang ever" as claimed in the CD we all got about the hard work in developing the car (on a race track). Seeing all the abuse the development mules saw, then thinking of my habits, I cannot even draw a close parallel. I don't know what else to say, without going into a rant at this point. More to come as it comes to a conclusion. On top of my issues - The dealer had to buy a special Ford tool just to work on the transmission, so I don't think the dealer is too happy right now either.
Wow! I have not posted for a LONG time, but this kind of garbage spewed from your service advisor is what gives dealer service such a bad name. Skip-shift is solely designed and implemented to improve CAFE numbers for Ford. It forces you to shift from first to fourth under light acceleration and throttle position only in a effort to improve fuel mileage. It is NOT in any way designed to "protect" your transmission. Please do not accept this explanation because it is at best, ignorant, but much more likely, a blatent lie to make you go away. These cars are not perfect but were absolutely designed from the beginning to be driven hard, reliably. This "self preservation" feature, does not exist. Definitely PM Deysha from Ford Customer Service. She has helped many people here get results on issues like these. Best of luck to you.
Old 10/12/12, 08:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by whiteboss302
How is your Boss doing? Got it back yet? The dealer told me he expected Ford to supply a new or rebuilt trans, but now the dealer is in process of the repair.
Old 10/12/12, 08:10 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL, i came in here thinking the show fifth gear was going away. I am pleasantly surprised.

I am sorry for your problems though.

Quick Reply: Farewell to fifth gear.