Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Farewell to fifth gear.

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/12, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Farewell to fifth gear.

All of a sudden last week the transmission would not go into 5th gear. If you tried, it would start grinding so it immediately went to the dealership without the use of 5th.

The mechanic obtained the same results. Totally impossible to get into 5th with the engine running. He was surprised as 1+2 should be the problem in most cases.

The mechanic took apart the trans and said it will be several weeks as they try to get syncro's for it. They are just hoping that is the problem.

The mechanic has said that they have had a lot of problems with the transmission in the GT's and regular mustangs as well. 1st and 2nd gears as well as all out trans issues, notchy and just plain refusing to shift.

They hope the syncro's are the answer or else they will have to try to convince Ford to provide a replacement trans as they cannot see anything else that shows to be a problem in the trans.

Here is to hoping they solve the problem.

I will keep everyone informed.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I did NOT have it for the long weekend and shortly winter will be upon us.
Old 9/4/12, 07:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck. I hope it works out and you get a resolution as fast as possible.
Old 9/4/12, 08:23 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm thinking bent shift fork. It's been grinding so the synchro is chewed up now anyways though.
Old 9/4/12, 09:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

We're you having any symptoms prior to this?
Old 9/5/12, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

I am experiencing the same thing excepting will go into 5th if I hold the clutch in for a second before shifting. At high speed or high RPM it sounds like it is grinding itself apart. No appointment with my local dealer yet as I also have a tire issue they need to look at. Hoping the fix comes quick as I have my carbon 302s hood on the way as well as the 302s grill. Fingers crossed
Old 9/5/12, 06:46 PM

I also hope for a quick resolution but it does not look like it with the parts wait.

Surprisingly the mechanic said there is not much damage as I only let it grind once. He did it once as well but cautiously. He did not see any damage to the shift forks. I do not slam the gears. I let the trans do the shifting rather than forcing it.

I have always driven it with care as the 1-2 shift when cold takes about 6 seconds.

I do get the feeling that these transmissions are substandard at best. Surprisingly I called a well known transmission shop that has cured many corvette problems and they said that micropolishing of the internals can cure a lot of the issues.

I hope for a solution but somehow I do not expect a cure.
Old 9/5/12, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

better sychros will do wonders ....the tranny does not like to shift over 7400rpms......shifts smooth at 72-7350rpms every time, i hit second gear and third pretty hard but i never force it into a gear.....
Old 9/6/12, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Resolution78
better sychros will do wonders ....the tranny does not like to shift over 7400rpms......shifts smooth at 72-7350rpms every time, i hit second gear and third pretty hard but i never force it into a gear.....

Better transmissions will do wonders.

I am sickened by all the transmission problems apparent with all the Mustangs.

Heck, if I cannot get a good shift from 800-6000 rpm why would expect them to go to 7400 rpm.

I think I will be putting in a TR6060 and calling it a day.

Anyone want a Ford MT82 transmission that will be freshly rebuilt?
Old 9/6/12, 07:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohn
Anyone want a Ford MT82 transmission that will be freshly rebuilt?
I'll take it and even pay for shipping. PM me.
Old 9/8/12, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'll take it and even pay for shipping. PM me.

I appreciate the generous offer, but I am looking for some funds to go against the new transmission.

There is a value to these transmissions.
Old 9/8/12, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

i hate reading these kind of threads.....good luck man.
Old 9/8/12, 05:16 PM

I just got back from the local speed shop to work out a deal on a trans. They have agreed to give me $ 850.00 for the rebuilt from ford once it is done.

I will have a bulletproof machine just in time to put it away for the winter.
Old 9/8/12, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why would you want a TR6060 though, it is a similar design and you will probably still have shifting issues what that floating shifter. If you have the cash I would just get a T56 Magnum, and then you shouldn't have any more issue...ever.
Old 9/8/12, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Why would you want a TR6060 though, it is a similar design and you will probably still have shifting issues what that floating shifter. If you have the cash I would just get a T56 Magnum, and then you shouldn't have any more issue...ever.

Brandon,

From what I am being told, the issue is with the Transmissions. A TR6060 Stage 5 will handle the power and more. I was thinking of eventually of going with some forced induction so it would be ready.

All the shops I have been speaking with have good experience with the TR6060 and some are authorized shops for RPM transmissions.

But with all that being said, I will be doing some research on the T56 and who has them available.

Thanks for the reference.
Old 9/8/12, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohn
Brandon,

From what I am being told, the issue is with the Transmissions. A TR6060 Stage 5 will handle the power and more. I was thinking of eventually of going with some forced induction so it would be ready.

All the shops I have been speaking with have good experience with the TR6060 and some are authorized shops for RPM transmissions.

But with all that being said, I will be doing some research on the T56 and who has them available.

Thanks for the reference.
No problem. I know that JPC sells a kit that comes with everything needed to swap which starts at 4,500. The reason I had said you would still have shifting issues is because I believe that is what causes some of the shifting issues people are having. I think that is also why the Barton bracket or the MGW fix some of these issues, because they help brace the shifter better then what it came with from the factory. That being said I believe the 302S runs a TR6060, though who knows if it has a brace to get rid of the floating shifter design.
Old 9/9/12, 09:27 PM

No problem. I know that JPC sells a kit that comes with everything needed to swap which starts at 4,500. The reason I had said you would still have shifting issues is because I believe that is what causes some of the shifting issues people are having. I think that is also why the Barton bracket or the MGW fix some of these issues, because they help brace the shifter better then what it came with from the factory. That being said I believe the 302S runs a TR6060, though who knows if it has a brace to get rid of the floating shifter design.
I will also investigate the bracket or shifter fix to improve the shifter.

I would hope that the shifter issue would not be related to the bad gears, bad syncro's, and clunking on all gears.
Old 9/10/12, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No I don't think the shifter issues people are having correlates to the gears. I believe it is just that under heavy load the tranny probably twists in relation to the body where the shifter is mounted and so shifts can be misaligned, or something.
Old 9/10/12, 08:08 PM

No I don't think the shifter issues people are having correlates to the gears. I believe it is just that under heavy load the tranny probably twists in relation to the body where the shifter is mounted and so shifts can be misaligned, or something.

Brandon,

Thanks, that better explains the two issues.

I will consider this as well with the new trans.
Old 9/10/12, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

THe TR6060 has completely different gear ratios...as crummy as the MT-82 has been the gear ratios are perfect for the GT and Boss to keep the little 5.0 on boil. Might want to see if the shop will do custom gear sets to get them close to those of the MT-82
Old 10/1/12, 10:29 AM
GT Member

I just lost 4th gear in my 12 boss, approx 3500 miles. Won't go into gear, grinds, or if I can get the speed just right it will go. Been reading a lot about synchro issues with the MT-82. From new have had issues with 1-2 shift, but cured that myself by always short shifting 1-2. Now that I have had this issue with 4th, I wonder if the 1-2 synchro wasn't also bad to begin with. Ford dealer will hear from me shortly. Hope it goes well. I have an air intake, aftermarket Steeda tune, and exhaust modification.

Last edited by davegush; 10/1/12 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Farewell to fifth gear.