Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer's 29-mile "road test"

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/11, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
To be fair, it may not have been 24mph. Taking an average is a very poor way of trying to show what really happened.

I definitely see the need for road testing, but could see how some techs could abuse said privilege. Not to mention, they're not paying for your gas, so why worry? Simple solution, take it to the dealer with a small amount of gas.

All true, but we will put gas in a car if it is low and needs to be road tested.
Old 10/3/11, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kristin
I'm picturing the valet parking scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Name:  image-3354709769.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  23.5 KB
Old 10/3/11, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Yep - that's the one.
Old 10/3/11, 11:59 AM

I got a little bent out of shape when the service dept put 5 miles on mine that had exactly 70 miles on it when I brought in with an oil leak. Turned out it was a bad oil filter gasket. Didn't understand why they had to drive it for 5 miles to make sure the new oil filter wasn't leaking? I said something about it and the service manager told me they are required by Ford to test drive it a minimum amount of miles and log it in so that they can be paid by Ford for the warranty work. If they don't do that, they don't get paid by Ford. I'm not totally buying into that explanation yet although he did say that the only person allowed to do any work on my vehicle is their senior certified technician and he does not "joy ride" the vehicles. Still think it's kind of shady but nothing near as bad as putting 29 miles on it as mentioned in the initial post. That would have been near impossible to explain to me.
Old 10/3/11, 02:09 PM

The service manager, to his credit, called me this morning to explain why they drove the car 29 miles for road testing. He said that was there standard road test. They drove it before and then after changing the O2 sensor. The conversation was pleasant, but I still expressed a degree of skepticism over the 29 mile part of it. I made it clear that I appreciate that they did drive it to be sure everything was repaired properly - but 29 miles? Not sure I got an explanation about the specific 29-mile distance, but at least he sounded sincere and assured me they were not joy-riding in it. Both he and the technician have been at the dealership for over 20 years.
I guess I'll just let it go.
Old 10/3/11, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Did you buy the car to store and keep as a collector or is this a car for driving. If it is collector, I see that you would be upset as you want to keep it as low mileage as possible. And in that case I assume you had it trailered to the dealership. If it is to be driven, what difference does 29 miles make? It's not like they went 200 miles or something. If there is no damage to the car, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they drove it like they stole it, that is what this car is for. I joy ride mine almost every time I drive it.

P.S. This is coming from a guy that got called **** for all of my special instructions to the dealer for my delivery.
Old 10/3/11, 03:02 PM

I'm not upset about the 29 miles - they'll come soon enough. I didn't buy it as a collectible or to keep it on a trailer. I guess its a matter of respect for other's property in general.
Not to worry, though - I'm taking off the miles - the rear end is up on a jack with the engine at WOT in reverse - just the way Ferris Beuller did it!
Old 10/3/11, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Just make sure you aren't parked on the side of a cliff!
Old 10/3/11, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You killed the car.
Old 10/3/11, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
You killed the car.
Lmao
Old 10/3/11, 04:46 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by upstateGT
The service manager, to his credit, called me this morning to explain why they drove the car 29 miles for road testing. He said that was there standard road test. They drove it before and then after changing the O2 sensor. The conversation was pleasant, but I still expressed a degree of skepticism over the 29 mile part of it. I made it clear that I appreciate that they did drive it to be sure everything was repaired properly - but 29 miles? Not sure I got an explanation about the specific 29-mile distance, but at least he sounded sincere and assured me they were not joy-riding in it. Both he and the technician have been at the dealership for over 20 years.
I guess I'll just let it go.
The pcm must have a proper drive cycle to set the o2 monitor. They cannot confirm the problem is fixed until the monitor sets. 29 miles is actually really good. We have had to put 50+ miles on some cars to get the monitors to finally set.
Old 10/3/11, 06:42 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR
So a "joy ride" that averaged ~ 24 mph (doesn't sound like a lot of joy) had you mad enough to get a guy fired and want to fight him?

You need to check your priorities.

Such an injustice! And to a brother in arms no less!

I did not feel the need to write a 5,000 word essay to include every detail of the incident for such a narrative but in your case I can understand the need to make the exception. I will keep it simple.

Not only was your over achieving comrade gone for three quarters of an hour but when he returned the car was covered with dust, a bit suspicious for a car which had been detailed two days prior to the dealer visit, add fresh burned rubber particles stuck to the wheel wells, exhaust, and rear fenders which seemed to appear by magic.

David Copperfield must have been visiting the Ford dealer as well.

He raised the ante by failing to follow dealer instructions to park the car at the conclusion of his task meaning the oil and filter change. Then add to his resume of previous counselings for disregarding dealer policies (that usually means it has happened before... as in multiple occasions).

I did not request for your comrade to be dismissed the next day when the dealer owner was informed of the incident, nor did I request for the police to arrest the idiot following the termination of employment notice for belligerent behavior which included threats of property damage and physical harm to superiors.

I wonder if he made bail?

I missed the excitement as I left the dealer the previous day right after the car was washed and detailed. Neither did I ask at any time for any form of compensation since I did not need it (you definately know how I feel about freeloaders so becoming one for a few miserable dollars was not an option), but the service manager insisted. I became aware of the full story and final solution three or four months after the famous incident during a visit to the dealer for a scheduled routine maintenance of the Bullitt.

I will oblige to further clarification or transalation to your primary or favorite language. As for priorities, it might be difficult for you but making an effort to post less as a use car saleman and more as a Mustang enthusiast would be a pleasant change unless you are the self appointed public defender for life of Ford dealers and their employees or former employees.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 10/3/11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10/3/11, 06:48 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I might be weird but it wouldn't bother me much. I guess to me, what could they possibly do that I wouldn't do myself...
Old 10/3/11, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by upstateGT
To me this seems like a case of the mechanic having a joy ride at my expense. Can anyone think of a legitimate reason for a 29-mile "road test"?
Parts run.
Old 10/3/11, 06:49 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
I might be weird but it wouldn't bother me much. I guess to me, what could they possibly do that I wouldn't do myself...
You don't want to know
Old 10/4/11, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
!!!

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Lmao
Just thought I'd throw this in...

Name:  f6cxhy5w4w.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  75.6 KB
Old 10/4/11, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA

Such an injustice! And to a brother in arms no less!

I did not feel the need to write a 5,000 word essay to include every detail of the incident for such a narrative but in your case I can understand the need to make the exception. I will keep it simple.

Not only was your over achieving comrade gone for three quarters of an hour but when he returned the car was covered with dust, a bit suspicious for a car which had been detailed two days prior to the dealer visit, add fresh burned rubber particles stuck to the wheel wells, exhaust, and rear fenders which seemed to appear by magic.

David Copperfield must have been visiting the Ford dealer as well.

He raised the ante by failing to follow dealer instructions to park the car at the conclusion of his task meaning the oil and filter change. Then add to his resume of previous counselings for disregarding dealer policies (that usually means it has happened before... as in multiple occasions).

I did not request for your comrade to be dismissed the next day when the dealer owner was informed of the incident, nor did I request for the police to arrest the idiot following the termination of employment notice for belligerent behavior which included threats of property damage and physical harm to superiors.

I wonder if he made bail?

I missed the excitement as I left the dealer the previous day right after the car was washed and detailed. Neither did I ask at any time for any form of compensation since I did not need it (you definately know how I feel about freeloaders so becoming one for a few miserable dollars was not an option), but the service manager insisted. I became aware of the full story and final solution three or four months after the famous incident during a visit to the dealer for a scheduled routine maintenance of the Bullitt.

I will oblige to further clarification or transalation to your primary or favorite language. As for priorities, it might be difficult for you but making an effort to post less as a use car saleman and more as a Mustang enthusiast would be a pleasant change unless you are the self appointed public defender for life of Ford dealers and their employees or former employees.

A) I'm sure I come off that way, and I will only "defend" myself by pointing out the overwhelming amount of negative comments about dealers in general on this forum. I PROMISE I am only on here as an enthusiast; I get ZERO business from this site, nor do I expect it.

B) I would have fired that SOB too
Old 10/4/11, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I lost it once, when I was getting my first free oil change from the dealer. The service area has a lounge area above the service techs and you can watch everything they do. I watch the guy filling her up with oil and he would pour a little, stop, enter vehicle and start it, check oil level, turn it off, pour a little, stop, enter vehicle a start it, check oil level, turn it off, pour a little. Well one of these times he took the dipstick INSIDE the vehicle with him. Oh man it was ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!