Cool Tech - Front & Rear Tow Hook Kits

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/12, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Order submitted!
Old 9/17/12, 02:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placed my order. I run a 2010-2012 and a 2013 rear bumper. This shouldnt been an issue, should it?
Old 9/17/12, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Right on! Just placed my order (red hooks tow eyes btw)
Old 9/19/12, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

Just placed my order thanks
Old 9/27/12, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

When will the hooks ship ?Placed order last wed.hve no shipping info and no order confermation.
Old 9/27/12, 04:35 PM
GT Member

I saw a FedEx ship initiation on 9/25 but no departure yet
Old 9/27/12, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by KeavDog
I saw a FedEx ship initiation on 9/25 but no departure yet
Same; no rush however. Glad to see the process is starting to move
Old 9/27/12, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

Looks like the packages are at FedEx. I'm guessing I'll have mine tomorrow.
Old 9/27/12, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey everyone. First, thanks very much for your orders. Quite frankly, we were a little overwhelmed with the interest in these - and the number of pre-orders we received. We had expected to get the main plates back from powdercoating yesterday but learned later in the day that they had issues with their oven, and our run was delayed. We had the boxes, hardware bags, and shipping labels ready to go. The good news is that the plates got finished today and I just got back from dropping off almost all of the pre-orders that we had received. There were 3 orders - all received this week that didn't ship. ALL other orders shipped (whew!)

The 3 orders that we didn't ship are just awaiting red tow hooks. We completely depleted the inventory of our supplier for these!! We do expect to have another shipment Monday or Tuesday at which time we will be caught up and we will have inventory available. Again, thank-you everyone for your business. Now, let's see some pics of your installs!!!
Old 9/27/12, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nota4re
Now, let's see some pics of your installs!!!
It will be while before I install mine. Gonna be a winter project. Come to think of it, winter will be here real soon!
Old 9/27/12, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Yes! Just got a FedEx shipping update. They will be here tomorrow.
Would love some advice on locating the spot to drill through the front and rear facia.
If I f-up ill just call all the holes extra cooling. Lol
Old 9/27/12, 09:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Would love some advice on locating the spot to drill through the front and rear facia.
I suspect the instructions will have plenty of advice. I might install mine next weekend and if not it will be the weekend of the 13th. I have track days scheduled the following week and since I'll have the plates I want them installed beforehand. My theory is if I have them I'll never need them.
Old 9/27/12, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll spoil the surprise... and it delayed us a day or two as I tried to figure out how to include something in every kit. Getting the hole in the bumper right is paramount. I was fully intending to provide reference dimensions - from known points. For example - all Mustangs minimally have the front license plate dimples - even if they are not drilled. So, I could say, "measure over X.XX inches and then measure down Z.ZZ" and then drill at this intersection." But, what if you were off?? (You'd rightfully be mad at me!!) Not liking people to be mad at me, we came up with a clever little tool. We cut ~1" sections of threaded rod. Then we drilled a 9/64" hole in the end at about 1/4" deep. Then I bought 50 hardened ice pick ends. I cut each of these down and inserted them into the holes we drilled in the threaded rod along with some red loctite to secure them. So, after you mount our custom plate and then modify the Styrofoam to account for our plate being there, you thread this nifty pokey tool into the tow hook boss. Set it to a depth is that about 1/8-3/16" protrudes past the Styrofoam. Then.... and this is the critical part, you temporaily put your bumper skin in place. Line everything up on both sides - just before snapping it in. Check both sides, check underneath for alignment to any mounting holes. Do it all twice. When you're satisfied that the bumper skin is in it's right, final orientation, you simply gently push-in where the tow eye is. Watch you hand/fingers! The ice-pick tool will pierce the bumper and you will have a precise, on-center hole! Easy..... and no way to be mad at me!! These little locating tools were a pain in the butt to make.... but, like you, we want the alignment to be right!!
Old 9/27/12, 10:49 PM
GT Member

Now that is cool tech!
Old 9/28/12, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by nota4re
I'll spoil the surprise... and it delayed us a day or two as I tried to figure out how to include something in every kit. Getting the hole in the bumper right is paramount. I was fully intending to provide reference dimensions - from known points. For example - all Mustangs minimally have the front license plate dimples - even if they are not drilled. So, I could say, "measure over X.XX inches and then measure down Z.ZZ" and then drill at this intersection." But, what if you were off?? (You'd rightfully be mad at me!!) Not liking people to be mad at me, we came up with a clever little tool. We cut ~1" sections of threaded rod. Then we drilled a 9/64" hole in the end at about 1/4" deep. Then I bought 50 hardened ice pick ends. I cut each of these down and inserted them into the holes we drilled in the threaded rod along with some red loctite to secure them. So, after you mount our custom plate and then modify the Styrofoam to account for our plate being there, you thread this nifty pokey tool into the tow hook boss. Set it to a depth is that about 1/8-3/16" protrudes past the Styrofoam. Then.... and this is the critical part, you temporaily put your bumper skin in place. Line everything up on both sides - just before snapping it in. Check both sides, check underneath for alignment to any mounting holes. Do it all twice. When you're satisfied that the bumper skin is in it's right, final orientation, you simply gently push-in where the tow eye is. Watch you hand/fingers! The ice-pick tool will pierce the bumper and you will have a precise, on-center hole! Easy..... and no way to be mad at me!! These little locating tools were a pain in the butt to make.... but, like you, we want the alignment to be right!!
Awesome, that was my biggest concern!
Something you might consider doing in the future if the prods are too expensive/painful to manufacture is to include a paper template in each kit that attaches precisely to the bumper so a center punch or 1/8" pilot hole can be located.
Old 9/28/12, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Nice! They showed up today.

Old 9/29/12, 01:26 PM

Mine arrived this morning, kit looks great! Won't install for a couple weeks yet however.
Old 10/2/12, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Did the install this afternoon...great kit! I'm very happy with the results.

Started with a hand saw. Scored the back of the foam to make sure I was cutting to the ~1/4' depth needed:

Switched to a dremel cut-off tool and swiss-cheesed it:

Not so pretty:

Perfect fit:

Recess for bolt head:

Ice pic installed:

Scored the paint with this OLFA circle cutter. Totally not needed. Then drilled with a hole saw from the back.

Initial hole:

Installed:

Plugged:

Total install time for me was 2 hours 8 minutes from when I parked the car.
Old 10/2/12, 10:22 PM
GT Member

Nice! I'm trying to dig some timeout to do mine. Did you do the back too?
I'm going to put on my splitter at the same time.
Does the facia come off and go on easy?
Old 10/3/12, 12:45 AM
V6 Member

Nice! I'm trying to dig some timeout to do mine. Did you do the back too?
I'm going to put on my splitter at the same time.
Does the facia come off and go on easy?
Didn't do the back yet. The whole bumper cover and grille come off as an assembly. 8 clips for the radiator cover, two 8mm bolts and eight 7mm screws. Spent more time cleaning gravel out of nooks than taking off the cover. Trickiest part is pulling apart the seam between the cover and the front fenders.

Quick Reply: Cool Tech - Front & Rear Tow Hook Kits