Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Continental Tire/Grand Am Daytona test session

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/12, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berol
I'm arranging a meetup at 1 PM if you're interested.
Just say where.
Old 1/5/12, 10:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My son and I may be there as well. Still working on getting out of the "wife's plan" for the week-end!!
Old 1/5/12, 05:43 PM

Taking the wife and dog in the motorhome down for the 24hour race. Can't wait we were just married in 1973 and slept in a tent when we attended our first race. Boy does time FLY.
Old 1/6/12, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boss0185
Taking the wife and dog in the motorhome down for the 24hour race. Can't wait we were just married in 1973 and slept in a tent when we attended our first race. Boy does time FLY.
Good for you ;-) so nice to read this!
Old 1/6/12, 04:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

One last bump. I'll be checking this later tonight. If anybody else is interested, send me a PM and I"ll provide my cell # so we can meet up tomorrow.
Old 1/6/12, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I looked on-line and I can only purchase tickets for the 8th. I was wanting to go tomorrow. Can you get tickets at the track tomorrow?
Old 1/7/12, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad some more of the FL people did not make it to Daytona today It was a real nice day again, Mark Wilson is a fantastic person who really loves what he does. You would think he would get sick of showing people around and answering non-stop questions but it just makes him want to share more with other enthusiasts.

We ended up seeing some of the faces from my track attack class Joe, Gunner and Charlie. Charlie Putman is as nice as it gets, he spent over 30 minutes taking to us after he remember me from the school. He was very happy to hear my story about how much I appreciated his instruction and how much time I took off the very next day. He really loves hanging with fans and people that want to learn the sport. You can buy a car that cost 3X as much as a Boss and never get 10% of this treatment.

Just before I left I started to talk to a bunch of guys with another 302R. I had no idea who they were. They were joking around having a good time, like it should be I guess (see picture). Turns out it was Dean Martin and the Rehagen Racing team, again another group of guys that were willing to show off the car and answer questions. I think I will be doing business with them in the future.

If Grand-Am is rolling into your town and you have a chance to meet with Mr. Wilson don't pass it up!

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 1/8/12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 1/7/12, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

heading over there tomorrow.
Old 1/7/12, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I just go back from Daytona, met up with Scott and Dan, great guys!

Now what was up!

Mark Wilson, Engineering Manager for Ford Racing gave us about one and a half hours of his time to give us a tour of the Boss 302R and an extended Q&A.

More on that latter................

We also got to meet Jack Roush.

From left to right, Scott (2012YellowBoss), Jack (Mr Roush to y’all!), Me and Dan (Berol)

Now just a quick note.....

After meeting with Mark I went back out to the RWR Racing garage and watched them get their car ready.......

Now I'm not a NASCAR guy so at the time I didn't know I was talking with Jeff Earnhardt, he played the awe/shucks we're just a bunch of o'l NASCAR boys.................

Talking with him I found out their car a new build "Boss 302" finished about three days before the Roar (so new the cage isn't even painted yet) for the GT class in Grand Am.

It weighs in at about 2700 lbs and is of course powered by a Boss 302 which according to Mark Wilson is just like the street Boss, but Jeff related no it's a little hotter.............500 HP and 400 LBs of torque.......

Is it competitive? Well……

Times from the Grand Am site;

Fastest car in the GT class was the Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 with a 1:49.414

The RWR Boss 302 ran a fastest lap of 1:51:206

So here’s to hoping they can find 1.8 seconds………….

Here's a few pictures but go all the way down and check out the short video of the car firing up and heading out onto track.

It sure doesn't sound like a road race car......more like a Cup car!

Make sure you turn the speakers up all the way!

Last edited by GT_350; 1/7/12 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Opps........
Old 1/7/12, 09:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That guy you labeled as David (MyStang2010GB) is an impostor! I do wish I was that tall though!!

I was not able to make it out there today.... My son woke up feeling real bad. Spent a few hours at the ER...he has the flu
Old 1/8/12, 03:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to say being a part of the "Ford Family" has been a great experience.... I never imagined when I bought my Boss that it would be the reason I got to meet some of the people I have, get to experience some pretty cool stuff, and more importantly create some great friendships. I have only owned the car for a short period, but it has been a wonderful experience. More than I could have ever asked for...

The only thing I ask: My schedule to give me a break so I can make it to more of these events!!!

Last edited by adam81; 1/8/12 at 03:17 AM.
Old 1/8/12, 05:17 AM
GT Member

I was planning to attend the Rolex 24 weekend but instead was surprised by Santa (she is a saint, my race widow) with tickets for the Daytona 500 including fan zone access for Sunday morning. But just a reminder for us Northeast guys and gal, the Rolex DP/GT cars and Continental GS/ST finale in September 28&29th (Fri/Sat) at Lime Rock Park. LRP has reserve parking paddocks where we could set up a Ford section, the access to the pit/paddock areas is second to none at any professional event, you can touch the cars and hear what the crews and drivers are discussing. The site is picture perfect, there is good food and hospitality tents are available for $130+$45 if you want Friday ticket. You can walk and see every corner during the events. Just a great day of racing at a great track. Hope we can organize a good Boss 302 turnout, the BMW and Porsche guys are always well represented.
Steve
Old 1/8/12, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I will be there.
Old 1/8/12, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting that the RWR car has closed off much of the frontal area...
Old 1/8/12, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

RWR Boss 302... Holy $&@* that car rocks! Wish I could have made it up to meet with you all! Glad it was a good time!
Old 1/8/12, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
After meeting with Mark I went back out to the RWR Racing garage and watched them get their car ready.......

Now I'm not a NASCAR guy so at the time I didn't know I was talking with Jeff Earnhardt, he played the awe/shucks we're just a bunch of o'l NASCAR boys.................
Rick Ware Racing - Daytona Roar Before the 24 - YouTube

That was the first car I saw when I entered the garage, the guys saw me looking and invited me in to see and talk about the car. I guess I spoke with the same gentlemen as you. I was asking some questions about the way the car was built/setup and rules. He keep saying we are just NASCAR guys and was not sure since they have been doing this only a couple of days.

One of the reasons the car was so light is that is that it was custom built from the ground up as a Boss. In the engine compartment the only thing up front was a homemade airbox from the grille going straight straight into the intake (look at the grille). Behind the splitter on the outside of the car it was hollow, nothing there from the front facade all the way back. The front brake duct tubes was about a foot long, the intake was just about under the lower control arm.

Anyway good eye Doug as that was a very interesting car but when I saw it my camera was forgotten in the truck.
Old 1/8/12, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WTF happened to Rehagen's car?!
Old 1/8/12, 12:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by steveespo
I was planning to attend the Rolex 24 weekend but instead was surprised by Santa (she is a saint, my race widow) with tickets for the Daytona 500 including fan zone access for Sunday morning. But just a reminder for us Northeast guys and gal, the Rolex DP/GT cars and Continental GS/ST finale in September 28&29th (Fri/Sat) at Lime Rock Park. LRP has reserve parking paddocks where we could set up a Ford section, the access to the pit/paddock areas is second to none at any professional event, you can touch the cars and hear what the crews and drivers are discussing. The site is picture perfect, there is good food and hospitality tents are available for $130+$45 if you want Friday ticket. You can walk and see every corner during the events. Just a great day of racing at a great track. Hope we can organize a good Boss 302 turnout, the BMW and Porsche guys are always well represented.
Steve
Sounds like fun. I will try and make it this year!
Old 1/8/12, 03:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
WTF happened to Rehagen's car?!
Well the crew had one story and Dean had another, lol. Dean's story is he was run off the track but not pictured was the right front damage from a different run. Again the crew told me the driver swears he did not hit anything, two sides to every story I guess.

Seriously, they were pretty funny and very cool group of guys to meet
Old 1/8/12, 04:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GT_350
Well, I just go back from Daytona, met up with Scott and Dan, great guys!

Now what was up!

Mark Wilson, Engineering Manager for Ford Racing gave us about one and a half hours of his time to give us a tour of the Boss 302R and an extended Q&A.

More on that latter................

We also got to meet Jack Roush.

From left to right, Scott (2012YellowBoss), Jack (Mr Roush to y’all!), Me and Dan (Berol)
Thanks for posting this picture!

This was an awesome experience. Not just meeting Jack Roush, but the entire day. As has already been said, if you have the chance to meet Mark Wilson, it is well worth your time.

Scott, Doug it was great to meet both of you. Hope to see you at some track events in the future.

Quick Reply: Continental Tire/Grand Am Daytona test session