Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

That close - 302 to GT500

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/12, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The Boss needs a blower. Under the hood and one in the passenger seat.

Had both

Now the wife rides with me in a 98 Cobra LOL
Old 7/17/12, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Knew this post was going to be trouble,.... you can make the Boss be a drag monster, or make a GT500 a track monster,....but the Boss has the internals and reliability/longevity to go lap after lap on a road course,.... two days of non-stop tracking at its introduction for the press at Laguna with no break downs,...just tire changes/brakes and fuel,.....the very same engine used in the Grand Am Series cars....yes one car can do what the other does with some mods,...but it is in my opinion the Boss does what its intended purpose is better.

Last edited by cf6mech; 7/17/12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 08:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Both the boss and the gt500 engines are forged and and hand built. Both will last that long. Both are capable of really big power.
Old 7/17/12, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Both the boss and the gt500 engines are forged and and hand built. Both will last that long. Both are capable of really big power.
My thinking was the natural aspired lap after lap kinda thing. Don't get me wrong,..... love the GT500,..... and my opinion is bias.

Last edited by cf6mech; 7/17/12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by cf6mech

My thinking was the natural aspired lap after lap kinda thing.
Nah that doesn't sound any fun. It almost sounds like work. I want to be afraid of the car.
Old 7/17/12, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by alanp
Local dealer called last week and informed me that a new '12 GT500 is in the showroom with my name on it and I should check it out. So I did and with a fair trade for my Boss and a few dollars it would soon be in my garage.
Well, I just got back from the dealer & swapped back for my Boss. The Shelby, altho fast as hell, had no road feel and cornered like a barge. A reviewer nailed it when he described driving the 500 as "feels like I'm sitting on top of the car rather than in it" which now makes perfect sense.
The gadgets were nice as were the leather Recaros but it ended there.
I really wanted to like this car and it's 550hp but after taking it on a good 20 mile run thru some local twisties......my mind was made up & back to the dealer it went.
Funny, I thought the Shelby would be an upgrade.....it was the other way around )

BOSS RULES!
Agreed, would have done the same thing in a heart beat. A 13' GT500, that's a different story. And i am pretty sure i've read in various magazines that they had the boss pulling faster 1/4 mile times/track times than the 12' gt500. Just sayin.
Old 7/17/12, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

IMO any more than a lap or two in a pre-13 GT500 will result in enough heat soak and subsequent loss of power to give the Boss the edge in any extended lapping.

I also believe those in the "GT500 camp" are underestimating the power of carrying speed into, through, and out of a turn vs simply straight line acceleration.

A drag race between the two is a driver's race, IMO, due to the difficulty in modulating the GT500's prodigious torque, though it "should" hold the edge with the right driver...

Last edited by PACETTR; 7/17/12 at 09:41 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I only had one car, I don't know that the Boss would be better than a GT500 just because of the amenities available to Shelby owners. However, as a weekend car, and as someone who regularly takes his weekend toys to the canyons and track the Boss is the perfect fit for me. However, if I chose to commute I would quickly tire of not having the amenities my daily driver has.

The Shelby is great fun nailing the throttle, and I've driven a few heavily modded ones. But I also ride motorcycles, and enjoy the skill and talent of choosing the perfect line, executing on it and, entering/exiting a corner with precision. The rhythm of tracking or canyon carving is almost meditational, and unfortunately, the Shelby doesn't provide the turn in or feedback that I prefer, but that power is incredible.

The great thing about this conversation is that there's a mustang for everyone. Whether you're looking for an economical cruiser, a canyon carver, or a horsepower monster there's one for you, and they're all fantastic cars (now.)

It's pretty comical that this turns into a pissing match every time it's brought up. The boss is a purpose built track car made to do certain things a bit better than the Shelby. Lap after lap without worry of overheating of FI cooling components, and balanced road handling for the track. The Shelby is a far more comfortable horsepower monster with upscale interior available, and on the straights destroys everything. The last I checked 911 turbo guys didn't lack respect for gt3 guys and vice versa. Simply different cars for different priorities.

Rather than poo pooing each other's respective tastes, why don't we appreciate that we are lucky enough to be alive during a time when you could have either machine? When was the last time this happened? 1970?

I often see Boss owners on here show respect to the Shelby. Why is it never the other way around? What I've learned is that people will hate something that threatens their own insecurities about a purchase they need to justify to themselves. Be happy with what you have and let others have their fun. Who cares if they like their car better than yours. That's why it's there's and yours is yours. Does it make it different than when you bought it? Does their enjoyment bother you, and their opinion change your life?

Grow up. Be grateful we don't all drive priuses. That day may be coming.
Old 7/18/12, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

plane and simple....... a boss with a blower, i prefer the Procharger myself since the boss loves high rpms, would RULE a GT500, not sure about the new ones, (2013) but there predecessors have blown up way before the marks the new Boss engines have achieved. either way I'm keeping my boss all motor since i dragrace sometimes and dont want to put a cage in...11.8 is almost to fast..... and an 11 second car with a blower just sounds kinda pathetic to me these days........ if you have a blower and its set up right you should in the 10s for drag racing if you have a clue
Old 7/18/12, 01:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from a 2004 Mach1 to the Boss. I Love special edition Mustangs just plain and simple.
When I was thinking new car it was either the Boss or Shelby . The only reason I went with the Boss was price,any Shelby I found was loaded up farther then my pocket book.
I'm very happy with the Boss but I always will have that ' I wonder if I should have bought the Shelby'
I need to find a dealer that would let me take a GT500 for a test ride, very doubtful there is one,but I really need to get this out of my system.
I don't use the Boss for which it was made for, kinda sad but the truth is I don't have the extra dough for tires and racing .
Old 7/18/12, 10:25 AM

"I need to find a dealer that would let me take a GT500 for a test ride, very doubtful there is one,but I really need to get this out of my system."

I hear you....that doubt entered my mind also & part of the reason I traded the Boss for the 500 but ended up trading back. That doubt is gone now and I know I made a wise decision.

Enjoy your Boss!
Old 7/18/12, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by alanp
"The GT500 does have a nice suspension from the factory and the motor is superb IMO".

Not sure why this turned into a "mines bigger than yours" debate. I was just tossing my personal opinion out there concerning the differences between 2 mustangs. I believe if anyone else here had the opportunity to compare as I did the outcome would be similar.
For me, the Boss 302 is a more complete and thought out car that does everything well. The GT500 is a brute that I tried to bond with but it lacked the finesse and feel of the 302.
Having sold my '68 GT500 15 years ago I really wanted to get back into a Shelby but now realize that ain't gonna happen...at least not with this generation of GT's.

Nice cars that get a lot of attention....just not my thing.
That was not the intention of my post, if you look at my sig you will see I am looking for a Boss.

The Boss is an incredible car, it has a quicker 1/4 mile time then most stock GT500s run and its suspension is a big key to that with a high revving motor that makes great power off the showroom floor. And on a track the Boss 302 is a star, I love the Boss 302 but there is no denying the fact that the GT500s motor is pretty good and it's suspension is capable of running some good times.
Originally Posted by Resolution78
plane and simple....... a boss with a blower, i prefer the Procharger myself since the boss loves high rpms, would RULE a GT500, not sure about the new ones, (2013) but there predecessors have blown up way before the marks the new Boss engines have achieved. either way I'm keeping my boss all motor since i dragrace sometimes and dont want to put a cage in...11.8 is almost to fast..... and an 11 second car with a blower just sounds kinda pathetic to me these days........ if you have a blower and its set up right you should in the 10s for drag racing if you have a clue
Not really. Even 3Vs that are running a a fair amount of boost are still in the 11s. Not everyone can run in Minshaft air. You also have to have the right suspension and tires to get your car to hook and drop your 60'. With the 5.0s it is a lot easier to do but with the 2V you need some good power and a great suspension to do this. So I wouldn't quite say I am not impressed with 11 second S/C cars. To me it all depends on the engine as to how impressed I am with it. It just takes a lot of work to get into 10s on certain motors.
Old 7/18/12, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Grow up. Be grateful we don't all drive priuses. That day may be coming.
Great post man. I totally agree with your sentiments. I am coming to the Boss from the import crowd (I was a mitsu guy - DSMs/Evos) and I always thought domestic guys kinda stuck together.

I sold my Evolution X because the car never felt engaging to drive. It was a ****ing fantastic machine that is faster around a road course than almost anything else you can buy......but for some reason it never hooked me. It was too "techy" and felt like it was driving for me. It's hard to describe why to people that haven't driven one, but the Boss is the purest drivers car I have ever been behind the wheel of. It just sings on road.

I'm sure the new GT500 is disturbingly fast, but the Boss is just pure simple unadulterated American V8 fun. Can't ask for more than a big smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 7/18/12, 12:09 PM

" but the Boss is the purest drivers car I have ever been behind the wheel of. It just sings on road"

That about sums it up. I was spoiled by the '90 911 (964) I had before buying the Boss but it sticks just as well & with the added power...oh my.
Old 7/18/12, 12:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Great thread. Especially since it is getting Joe (11SHELBYGT500) active again
I am another Boss owner that would love to drive a 2012 Shelby both on the road and track just to feel the difference.
Old 7/18/12, 01:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
and an 11 second car with a blower just sounds kinda pathetic to me these days........ if you have a blower and its set up right you should in the 10s for drag racing if you have a clue
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Right on.
Old 7/18/12, 01:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by thevidon
Great post man. I totally agree with your sentiments. I am coming to the Boss from the import crowd (I was a mitsu guy - DSMs/Evos) and I always thought domestic guys kinda stuck together.

I sold my Evolution X because the car never felt engaging to drive. It was a ****ing fantastic machine that is faster around a road course than almost anything else you can buy......but for some reason it never hooked me. It was too "techy" and felt like it was driving for me. It's hard to describe why to people that haven't driven one, but the Boss is the purest drivers car I have ever been behind the wheel of. It just sings on road.

I'm sure the new GT500 is disturbingly fast, but the Boss is just pure simple unadulterated American V8 fun. Can't ask for more than a big smile on my face every time I drive it.
We do, we just like to poke fun at each other. Unless you have a Camaro, then you deserve to be ridiculed lol
Old 7/18/12, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Great thread. Especially since it is getting Joe (11SHELBYGT500) active again
I am another Boss owner that would love to drive a 2012 Shelby both on the road and track just to feel the difference.
Just when I think I'm out, you boss boys pull me back in.
Old 7/18/12, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
hey, we even have special shoes & gloves when we drive...not to mention a "magic" red key )
Old 7/18/12, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

No that doesn't sound gay.

Quick Reply: That close - 302 to GT500