Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Check Engine Light...boo!

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/11, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light...boo!

So I had the problem start a couple weeks ago where I would get on the throttle and around 4k the car would bog for a few hundred RPMs. Very annoying when the car doesn't go the way you want it to. Anyways, the dealer looked at it after the tech drove around with me and confirmed that it was doing it. It threw a code of a cam sensor malfunction and they are checking into it with Ford to see how to fix it I guess.

Well yesterday while driving my check engine light finally came on. My dad plugged his OBD II scanner in and the 2 codes it had were the cam sensor codes. So I guess the light finally caught up to the actually problem. Anyways, I'm dropping my car off tomorrow so they can look at it during the day Wednesday. This problem along with the metallic rubbing/humming sound coming from the passenger side rear is just really starting to make me frustrated with this car
Old 11/14/11, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nccstud
So I had the problem start a couple weeks ago where I would get on the throttle and around 4k the car would bog for a few hundred RPMs. Very annoying when the car doesn't go the way you want it to. Anyways, the dealer looked at it after the tech drove around with me and confirmed that it was doing it. It threw a code of a cam sensor malfunction and they are checking into it with Ford to see how to fix it I guess.

Well yesterday while driving my check engine light finally came on. My dad plugged his OBD II scanner in and the 2 codes it had were the cam sensor codes. So I guess the light finally caught up to the actually problem. Anyways, I'm dropping my car off tomorrow so they can look at it during the day Wednesday. This problem along with the metallic rubbing/humming sound coming from the passenger side rear is just really starting to make me frustrated with this car
What codes are you getting?
Old 11/14/11, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me know about the noise in the right rear, mine was in once and they cant "hear" it or find anything wrong.
Old 11/14/11, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

The code was...umm...P0340? Something like that I believe. I know it is an error with the Camshaft Sensor. I should know more by Wednesday night. I would just like to have this taken care of before I put her away for the winter. With these stupid little problems I am hoping I can at least get the dealer to install Trackey for me free of charge. *sigh*

In regards to the noise in the rear. The tech can hear it just fine(cause it's easy to hear...obnoxiously so if the rear seat is folded down), but they don't know what is doing it. Hopefully sometime this weekend I will be able to get a ride in another guy's boss who lives fairly close to me. This way I can verify to myself that I am not crazy.

Last edited by Nccstud; 11/14/11 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11/15/11, 08:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So I had the problem start a couple weeks ago where I would get on the throttle and around 4k the car would bog for a few hundred RPMs. It threw a code of a cam sensor malfunction and they are checking into it with Ford to see how to fix it I guess.
Well yesterday while driving my check engine light finally came on. My dad plugged his OBD II scanner in and the 2 codes it had were the cam sensor codes. This problem along with the metallic rubbing/humming sound coming from the passenger side rear is just really starting to make me frustrated with this car
Oh, noooo!!! Nccstud, please PM me with your dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you! I already have your VIN from tracking it, so please get back with me as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 11/15/11, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Deysha, thanks. I got it in to the dealer and they took care of the sensor problem. I was 6 qts of oil low. Yeah, that's 75% of it gone. Turns out this car eats oil for breakfast every day. They finally got it filled up after putting 6 qts in and so far so good. I'm gonna try to put a couple hundred miles on it before Friday so they can look at it again to see if there is noticeable consumption within that time period.
Old 11/16/11, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! That's a lot of oil gone.
How many miles do you have on the car? Have you noticed any smoke during engine operation? Do you think someone just misfilled the engine?
Old 11/16/11, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
thats way to much oil loss for normal. I also would of thought a warning light for low oil or pressure would of came on>>>>not the cam sensor code PO340. Have you been under the car to look for oil leaks.
Old 11/16/11, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow is right. If you have been driving the car around with two qts of oil o would be more than extremely worried..... I would be knocking on someone's door.....

By the way there is part of the camshaft design that operates off of a specific oil pressure. That is also the reason you should only run 5w50... May explain why you are getting a camshaft code....
Old 11/16/11, 10:23 AM
GT Member

We as a group have gotten spoiled by low oil consumption cars and don't check our oil on a regular basis. I grew up in the 60's and we checked our oil every fill up, or the now gone gas station attendant did it for us. I am as guilty as anybody nowadays with checking oil regulary unless I am at the track. My Boss with 900 miles has consumed about .75 qt of oil which is IMHO fine for break in use.

Peter
Old 11/16/11, 11:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha, thanks. I got it in to the dealer and they took care of the sensor problem. I was 6 qts of oil low. Yeah, that's 75% of it gone. Turns out this car eats oil for breakfast every day. They finally got it filled up after putting 6 qts in and so far so good. I'm gonna try to put a couple hundred miles on it before Friday so they can look at it again to see if there is noticeable consumption within that time period.
OH MY!!!! Please keep an eye on it and let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 11/16/11, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Yeah, I'm guilty of it too. First time I checked the oil was at 500 miles (slightly above 1/2 mark). Now at 1100 miles it at 1/2. Guess the engine is good, but I should have checked it before 500 miles.
Old 11/16/11, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

The car doesn't leak or smoke. I have over 6k miles on my car, and the oil has been changed once somewhere around 2200. I was unaware the car would eat as much oil as the recommended 1qt every 1500 miles. But still, 6 qts in 4000 miles is just insane. I do now know that I need to check my oil way more frequently...my fault there, I know next to nothing about cars.

I also don't think it was misfilled when they changed the oil at the dealership because they were surprised when they learned how much oil it took. So I believe it was filled right. Then again, I can't be certain of that either since I didn't do it. I figure have them do everything on it while it's still under warranty so nothing can come back and bite me.