2012-2013 BOSS 302

Buy a Boss or wait for a GT Prem Conv. that's on order?

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/12, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the wife wants a convertible buy a used miata for like $5k and stick with a real sports car for yourself.

Just my 2c.
Old 10/11/12, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
I wouldn't get a vert mustang period. Why not a boxster or a z4, which were designed to be a convertible since inception.

Boss all the way....
What he said. Unless the car is designed as a convertible, I wouldn't want it. Cars that are adapted to convertibles inevitably are heavier have less chassis rigidity than the coupe. That means a car with worse handling and more creaks and rattles.
Old 10/11/12, 03:47 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

I've been married for over 20 years to the same woman. Give her what she wants ('vert) and you may eventually get what you want (Boss). Get the GT.
Old 10/12/12, 06:20 AM
GT Member

Here's a thought...........when I bought an '04 Corvette in 2007, I wanted a Z06 for the handling/power. My wife liked the targa roof of the standard 'Vette. What I did was buy the standard 'Vette, install some power adders, Z06 shocks, springs, sway bars, and brakes. The result, a Z06 with removable top, we were BOTH happy! (the Z06 did not have a removable top)

So buy your convertible, and MOD away, make something you BOTH will enjoy. The BOSS suspension parts are available, a few power adders, and some neat exterior mods, you can make a neat and unique car. But, as mentioned, do a search, and get the color you want in the rag top. Believe me, if you want to spend $45K some dealer will be more than willing to find your EXACT car. And BTW, my wife convinced me to find my BOSS in SBY, I was ready to buy Race Red, which was pretty, but I always wanted a YELLOW car. I'm glad I waited, I even got a better deal than the red car.
Old 10/12/12, 08:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DFV
I've been married for over 20 years to the same woman. Give her what she wants ('vert) and you may eventually get what you want (Boss). Get the GT.
Glad I'm not married to your wife.
Old 10/12/12, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I never thought I would want a convertible, but I bought a 2005 new and I still have it.

150 000 kms later it it still runs great. No rattles or squeaks but one that I took car of myself. Living up in Alberta with long winters and hot summers, I still got alot of use from my top 7 months out of the year. City driving was always top down, but my wife hated it if we were going faster than 80 km/h on freeways/highways. But nothing was better in the mountains than a convertible Mustang.

Buy the vert. You'll both be happy, AND you'll have the colour you want.

At 420hp, are you really going to miss the extra dozen horses? Are you really going to drive the Boss in a way that will get more out of the car than a GT? And if so, what about just modding the vert to your specifications?

Last edited by jim010; 10/12/12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10/12/12, 11:30 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Number23
Glad I'm not married to your wife.
So am I my friend, so am I.
Old 10/12/12, 11:31 AM

Boss!! Gt's don't hold value for crap
Old 10/12/12, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

Boss, if you don't you will always be second guessing your decision. Once you own a boss you won't ever have any regrets.
Old 10/12/12, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Ok, my wife was involved with the purchase of my Boss. It's a little long, but I thought I would share:

Owned a 2004 CTS V and just paid it off in July. One of my Sons-in-law has a 2009 CTS V with 690 RWHP. He had been going out to the Friday night drags at Texas Motor Speedway and wanted me to run my V.

So we went out in mid July. I got beat by a 2010 Mustang GT and Modded Vette. Had fun, I knew the V with wheel hop would not be real competitive. I was going to start major mods since it was just paid off.

I get back to the stands and my wife says, "No more drag racing for you until you are louder and faster!" So, I'm on restriction, but this is great news. Our oldest daughter Kathy is the Office Manager at a Ford Dealership in Orlando. On the way home my wife says, why don't you call Kathy and see if they have any "Hot Rod" Mustangs on the lot?

She says she was kidding. I called Kathy the next day and she said she would check out the inventory on Monday. Now Diane (wife) says she meant a Stang that was like 5 years old, etc...

Kathy calls me on 7/16 AM; "Dad, you won't believe this, but we have a 2013 Boss 302 on the showroom floor!" I ask if I can buy it on D Plan? She said, "probably not, no Shelby's, Bosses, Roushes, etc, but I'll check."

She calls me back in 10 minutes; I can get the Boss on the D Plan. I talk to the Sales Manager and he said he would hold the car for me if I want it. I make a couple of calls to friends of mine in the Dallas area. In 2 days I have the CTS V sold.

Buy airline tickets and we fly into Orlando, sign the papers and we spend a few days in Florida to break-in 500 miles; drive it home in a few days and it was best cross country trip of my life!!!

I'm off Drag Racing Restriction.

I'm louder; I'm faster and all thanks to my wife!!!
Old 10/12/12, 07:23 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,735 Posts
I don't know how you managed the D plan but congrats! I just got my Boss and no Z, X or D plans available. Your the second Boss owner I know of to get the D plan you lucky dog!!
Old 10/12/12, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

DON'T get the Boss if it is NOT the colour you want.

And I still say get the vert. It will make the better cruiser and it is what she wanted.
Old 10/13/12, 05:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boss949
Ok, my wife was involved with the purchase of my Boss. It's a little long, but I thought I would share:

Owned a 2004 CTS V and just paid it off in July. One of my Sons-in-law has a 2009 CTS V with 690 RWHP. He had been going out to the Friday night drags at Texas Motor Speedway and wanted me to run my V.

So we went out in mid July. I got beat by a 2010 Mustang GT and Modded Vette. Had fun, I knew the V with wheel hop would not be real competitive. I was going to start major mods since it was just paid off.

I get back to the stands and my wife says, "No more drag racing for you until you are louder and faster!" So, I'm on restriction, but this is great news. Our oldest daughter Kathy is the Office Manager at a Ford Dealership in Orlando. On the way home my wife says, why don't you call Kathy and see if they have any "Hot Rod" Mustangs on the lot?

She says she was kidding. I called Kathy the next day and she said she would check out the inventory on Monday. Now Diane (wife) says she meant a Stang that was like 5 years old, etc...

Kathy calls me on 7/16 AM; "Dad, you won't believe this, but we have a 2013 Boss 302 on the showroom floor!" I ask if I can buy it on D Plan? She said, "probably not, no Shelby's, Bosses, Roushes, etc, but I'll check."

She calls me back in 10 minutes; I can get the Boss on the D Plan. I talk to the Sales Manager and he said he would hold the car for me if I want it. I make a couple of calls to friends of mine in the Dallas area. In 2 days I have the CTS V sold.

Buy airline tickets and we fly into Orlando, sign the papers and we spend a few days in Florida to break-in 500 miles; drive it home in a few days and it was best cross country trip of my life!!!

I'm off Drag Racing Restriction.

I'm louder; I'm faster and all thanks to my wife!!!
You and I are the only people I've ever heard of getting the "D" plan. My son is a Ford Service tech. We located my car across the state, and my oldest son, a VA state trooper stopped in during lunch break to check on the car, he made a stir arriving in uniform and attracted the owner. He explained how his Dad was interested in the car, and mentioned his brother was a Service Tech. When asked if they would honor "D" plan, the owner said "What the Hell", and the deal was penned. Needless to say, I'm not popular with the dealership where my son works. They sold their 1 Boss LS for $5K over list. But as things work out, my youngest son starts the State Police Academy in the next few months................I'm sure going to miss my Son's access to Oasis!

Last edited by BOSS MAN 13; 10/13/12 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10/13/12, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Boss Man 13. First of all, congrats on both of your sons!

My daughter has worked at the dealership for 18 years and we have a great relationship with them. I know that Ford will honor the employee plans, it's just up to the participating dealer and certainly not all are willing.

Ps. I would have paid MSRP or better for the Boss!
Old 10/17/12, 10:13 AM
GT Member

I would take the boss over the vert GT but thats just my .02
Old 10/19/12, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Talked to my dealer today and they have a white Boss 302 that I could go ahead and buy or just wait for a DIB GT Conv. that is on order.
Here's the problem, the wife really wants a convertible and neither of us are enamored with white vehicles.
I drove the Boss today and I have to admit, it is pretty cool.

The convertible won't be here for 3 or 4 weeks.

What do you guys think as Boss owners, ignore the white and take the plunge or go with my original order for the GT Conv.?????

ps... I need some compelling reasons to convince the wife that a Boss is better than a Convertible!!

Thanks
Have you made a decision?
Old 10/19/12, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes I have made a decision, I am going with the GT Vert, I love the boss but I also have always wanted a convertible. I love the looks and sound of the vert so I am sticking with it and not looking back.

truth is both versions are great but I think the vert will serve my tastes very well.

BTW, I will say once again, I love this forum you guys rock and some really great advice!!
Old 10/19/12, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Congrats. You will enjoy it...

Make it louder and faster!!!
Old 10/24/12, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You will be quite happy to have a car with all the features you want.

I bought a 2005 vert when it came out. When it came time to buy a new Mustang, I bought a glass roof car. But I couldn't let go of the vert, so I still have it.

Congrats.
Old 10/24/12, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
go with the Vert. There is nothing like dropping the top for a cruise, trust me. My first vert and love every second of it.

Quick Reply: Buy a Boss or wait for a GT Prem Conv. that's on order?